Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It’s a tough call with Zane. Anything I’ve heard about the guy sounds like you couldn’t ask for a better guy or worker. I would love to keep him in the system and will always root for a player like that.

However, he’s going to be 26 next season and he’s still coming off an up and down year in the AHL. Not exactly the type of comfort level you’re looking for to let Dobby go and hand him the reins as back up.

Sweeney awknowledged the importance of keeping Rask at 60 games or less. Maybe this was just an off year for Zane but I think it’s a step back next year if he’s not ready and we go back to the years of dreading putting the back up in.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It’s a tough call with Zane. Anything I’ve heard about the guy sounds like you couldn’t ask for a better guy or worker. I would love to keep him in the system and will always root for a player like that.

However, he’s going to be 26 next season and he’s still coming off an up and down year in the AHL. Not exactly the type of comfort level you’re looking for to let Dobby go and hand him the reins as back up.

Sweeney awknowledged the importance of keeping Rask at 60 games or less. Maybe this was just an off year for Zane but I think it’s a step back next year if he’s not ready and we go back to the years of dreading putting the back up in.

I agree with you, one more year of Dobby at his current rate would be nice. I'm just wondering if Dobby gets a nice offer somewhere- he deserves one based on his play this year- that he takes where does that leave us? I don't want to overpay/ over term Dobby by too much to keep him. That's why Sweeney makes the big bucks, I guess

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I agree with you, one more year of Dobby at his current rate would be nice. I'm just wondering if Dobby gets a nice offer somewhere- he deserves one based on his play this year- that he takes where does that leave us? I don't want to overpay/ over term Dobby by too much to keep him. That's why Sweeney makes the big bucks, I guess

Another season of Dobby would be ideal, if it works out, especially if you can get another year of Zane in the AHL. Might not work out though for either. Dobby looks pretty good amongst the other UFA goalies, he’ll draw some interest if decides to test it. Tricky.

Reactions: Dr Hook

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would assume if Boston wants him back, he will be signed before FA starts.

Dobby is what he is at this point. He has proven he is NOT an NHL starter. He is a pretty good backup. He had a pretty good year this year. I do agree that I do not want to overpay/over term him

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

Dobby is what he is at this point. He has proven he is NOT an NHL starter. He is a pretty good backup. He had a pretty good year this year. I do agree that I do not want to overpay/over term him
Not trying to raise a big debate on this point but the same thing was said many times on here by many people about Tim Thomas. Just sayin'.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not trying to raise a big debate on this point but the same thing was said many times on here by many people about Tim Thomas. Just sayin'.

this is true however, I think Thomas always believed and viewed himself as a guy who was a #1. I think Dobby has long accepted that he`ll be a back up goalie and prepares himself precisely for that role

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i'd "overpay" dobby for 1 year. maybe 2.5M. would prefer not to go 2 years, but think that's likely where it may land.
backup goalies sometimes feel like relief pitchers. hard to know what you'll get year to year on a lot of them.

mcintyre i'd just expect to see on waivers in october. if he gets through, he can split starts with vladar.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
i'd "overpay" dobby for 1 year. maybe 2.5M. would prefer not to go 2 years, but think that's likely where it may land.
backup goalies sometimes feel like relief pitchers. hard to know what you'll get year to year on a lot of them.

mcintyre i'd just expect to see on waivers in october. if he gets through, he can split starts with vladar.
I have zero interest in paying that much for a back up. Especially not for more than one year. If you cut it in half that should be the range of the back up. He wasn't exactly great throughout his contract with us.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Goaltending is so hard to judge simply because it takes so long to know what you have.

Subban was a guy I was not ready to give up on, and I don't think the Bruins were either, which is why they probably hoped he would slip through waivers. It's not that he had shown anything (at the AHL level - at least at the end) to suggest he was going to be a decent goaltender, but because I felt it was to soon to tell.

I look at last year's draft as an example. Matt Villalta went undrafted in the OHL and signed with the Soo Greyhounds. I was pretty high on him almost from the start. And the Kings drafted him 72nd overall. I had the OHL goaltenders ranked 1) Michael DiPietro 2) Villalta 3) Kyle Keyser 4) Kaden Fulcher.

Keyser and Fulcher went undrafted but signed with the Bruins and Wings respectively as free agents. Villalta had an excellent regular season. But in the playoffs, where it counts the most, Fulcher is ahead of Villalta. The best always rise for the big games. But their is no guarantee he can do it at the next level.

Goaltenders just take so long to know what exactly you have. But when they hit their mark, it's almost instantly.

It's why I would not part with McIntyre. You just don't know what you have in him yet.

What I don't like is that come October, the Bruins face the same situation with him as they did with Subban.
You told me about Villalta long before he was drafted so I picked him in the SIM- really good prospect

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Interesting view from Scott Wheeler from The Athletic on the Bs hitting on DeBrusk but missing on Senyshyn and Zboril:

The Bruins rightly took a lot of heat for the way they managed their back-to-back-to-back picks from 13-15 in 2015, and they have almost certainly missed on Zach Senyshyn and Jakub Zboril, but they deserve some credit for reaching a little for DeBrusk and hitting on that pick. Even if there were clearly-better players still on the board (Barzal, Connor, etc.), turning a 14th-overall pick into a middle-six winger with some scoring touch and physicality is a success by most standards. I don’t think DeBrusk has a ton of room to grow beyond the valuable player we saw in the Bruins’ playoff run, but that’s good enough.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Interesting view from Scott Wheeler from The Athletic on the Bs hitting on DeBrusk but missing on Senyshyn and Zboril:

The Bruins rightly took a lot of heat for the way they managed their back-to-back-to-back picks from 13-15 in 2015, and they have almost certainly missed on Zach Senyshyn and Jakub Zboril, but they deserve some credit for reaching a little for DeBrusk and hitting on that pick. Even if there were clearly-better players still on the board (Barzal, Connor, etc.), turning a 14th-overall pick into a middle-six winger with some scoring touch and physicality is a success by most standards. I don’t think DeBrusk has a ton of room to grow beyond the valuable player we saw in the Bruins’ playoff run, but that’s good enough.

Last year at this time, all three were considered busts by many. Now it’s down to two. Hopefully, this time next year it will be one or zero.

It continues to amaze me that people are so eager to write off Zboril and Senyshyn at the ripe old age of 21.

It’s sad really.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Who is Scott Wheeler and why does he have the Bruins missing on two 21 year old kids still developing?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Who is Scott Wheeler and why does he have the Bruins missing on two 21 year old kids still developing?

Supposed “National” prospects sportswriter for the Athletic. Believe he is from Toronto and covers the Leafs and Marlies? I think he just did a 2015 “re-draft” and this is probably why he was commenting on the B’s picks?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Supposed “National” prospects sportswriter for the Athletic. Believe he is from Toronto and covers the Leafs and Marlies? I think he just did a 2015 “re-draft” and this is probably why he was commenting on the B’s picks?

Yeah, I saw the preview for the article on Twitter about 2 minutes ago, but I don't pay for sports coverage. Doesn't sound like it's worth the read either, if we're still writing off players that have yet to be given a chance. You'd think these guys are 25-26 years old with 5 NHL games to their name or something. Ridiculous.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It's lazy journalism - if a kid doesn't hit right out of the gate he's a bust. He must be an HF poster :laugh: What's funnier is that Senyshyn and Zboril just finished their rookie years in Providence. By his own standards DeBrusk was a miss because last summer he was coming off his rookie season in Providence and hadn't made the big club. For crying out loud, Scott, learn to think things through!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, I saw the preview for the article on Twitter about 2 minutes ago, but I don't pay for sports coverage. Doesn't sound like it's worth the read either, if we're still writing off players that have yet to be given a chance. You'd think these guys are 25-26 years old with 5 NHL games to their name or something. Ridiculous.

I don’t mind these “re-drafts” based on what the kids have done so far, but at this stage I think it’s a little early to be saying 21 year old kids are “misses”.

As I said earlier, last year at this time, DeBrusk was being categorized as a miss and now everybody loves him :laugh:

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don’t mind these “re-drafts” based on what the kids have done so far, but at this stage I think it’s a little early to be saying 21 year old kids are “misses”.

As I said earlier, last year at this time, DeBrusk was being categorized as a miss and now everybody loves him :laugh:

The guy isn't even following his own standards- it's laughable.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts

Scott Wheeler is a national prospects writer and Toronto Marlies reporter for The Athletic Toronto. Scott has written for the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, The Toronto Sun, National Post, SB Nation, the PGA TOUR, McKeen’s Hockey, FC and The Hockey News.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Scott Wheeler is a national prospects writer and Toronto Marlies reporter for The Athletic Toronto. Scott has written for the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, The Toronto Sun, National Post, SB Nation, the PGA TOUR, McKeen’s Hockey, FC and The Hockey News.

So basically we should expect better from him?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

So pretty much what I posted earlier?

I read his Twitter bio.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I probably shouldn't beat on the guy too much- I've been grading student term papers for the past 3 days and have had my fill of poor research, errant conclusions, and bad logic :laugh:
However, how can a responsible hockey writer put something like this on paper:

"Not included in the re-draft, are also all of the other players I was low on who were taken too high — and haven’t progressed since. They were, among others: Lawson Crouse (taken 11th overall), Zach Senyshyn (incomprehensibly taken 15th overall and ranked in my late third round at the time), Noah Juulsen (ranked 47th, taken 26th), and Denis Gurianov (ranked in my third round, taken 12th)."

Juulsen, Senyshyn just finished their rookie pro seasons, and Gurianov his second year of pro. Crouse, fine, he hasn't yet become what was expected, after a whole season in the NHL last year as a rookie. But, man they are all so young.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Aside from the stupidity overall, what I hate is the idea that DeBrusk doesn't have any more room to grow. Why wouldn't he have room to grow? He's still just scratching the surface and he seems to get better every game.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Aside from the stupidity overall, what I hate is the idea that DeBrusk doesn't have any more room to grow. Why wouldn't he have room to grow? He's still just scratching the surface and he seems to get better every game.

If Scott Wheeler's talent analysis is so good where he can tell us what a 21 year old kid's potential is, he should be working for an NHL organization and not TheAthletic. :laugh:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If Scott Wheeler's talent analysis is so good where he can tell us what a 21 year old kid's potential is, he should be working for an NHL organization and not TheAthletic. :laugh:

Not defending him in any way, but sometimes people get an opportunity and decline because they don't want to be on the road everyday and would rather be with family, or make more money doing what they are already doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad