Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yah we talked before he left

You spoke to someone very close to him this summer who said to watch him - you told me previously you thought he had the skills to do this

I sat in row 1 behind him against Chicago in preseason and you called me and told me tell me how he's looking

His technique shocked me - the takeaway was calmness both in movement during action and demeanor

What wrapped it all in a bow was he added ridiculous athleticism when things got really scrambly and the Hawks had multiple rebounds

If I fast forward 10 years and see he's got over 250 career wins I will not be surprised

I expect a thread on him here in 3 years *****ing Sweeney screwed up letting him go

Three years? Probably won’t take three weeks.

In all seriousness, not sure how the B’s FO can take too much of a hit for this? Though some (like you and Dom apparently) saw his potential, it’s not like he blew everyone away for the past four years.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

In all seriousness, not sure how the B’s FO can take too much of a hit for this? Though some (like you and Dom apparently) saw his potential, it’s not like he blew everyone away for the past four years.

what's crazy is mcphee said subban wasn't really ready for the NHL when they claimed him. i assume the plan was
play fleury a ton and have subban work with dave prior most of the time. then fleury goes down and he's thrown
into the fire. what he's doing is pretty wild. there was no questioning his athleticism/talent, but i thought his mental
game would keep him from going anywhere. sucks to spend all that time developing him only to have him blossom
elsewhere, but what can ya do?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

@PlayMakers brings up a point however that is worthy of discussion. While I don't necessarily agree with it, if it is a coaching thing, then the team needs to do something and quick.

If they plan on bringing Khudobin back, or someone else and let McIntyre continue to develop because they have a "better option, or he's not ready", then they are in the same situation next year with McIntyre as they were with Subban, since McIntyre too will have to clear waivers a year from now.

Do we really want to be in that position with two potential starters in back to back years because, for whatever reason, they weren't ready?

And what about Vladar, Swayman and to a lessor extent Keyser, who are currently excelling with their teams?

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
what's crazy is mcphee said subban wasn't really ready for the NHL when they claimed him. i assume the plan was
play fleury a ton and have subban work with dave prior most of the time. then fleury goes down and he's thrown
into the fire. what he's doing is pretty wild. there was no questioning his athleticism/talent, but i thought his mental
game would keep him from going anywhere. sucks to spend all that time developing him only to have him blossom
elsewhere, but what can ya do?
What you could have done was send the guy down who clearly would not have been claimed off waivers by anyone and given your 1st round draft pick a chance to prove himself.

Reactions: Estlin

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
What are the main reasons that Subban didn't translate here? I mean, he is absolutely lights out this year. He is shutting out freakin' Nashville in the second period as I type this. That's outrageous. What a miss by the Bruins. What does the Vegas goalie coach do that Bob Essensa didn't do in the past five years? This has to reflect poorly on him. And I don't believe that MacIntyre is having a great season either. Maybe time for a new voice as goalie coach?
Has nothing to do with Essenza. The guy played two NHL games here, 2 years apart. In between he suffered a serious injury setting him back. How can you possibly say he was given a fair shot here? The guy was drafted in the 1st round for a reason. He is hardly the first goalie who has struggled in his 1st couple of NHL \games. He had a fantastic camp and played fantastic in his pre season games this year. This is clearly just a huge mistake by Sweeny. He rolled the dice thinking no one would take him and he lost.

Reactions: Estlin

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
vaakanainen is now leading saipa in toi for d. i watched 3 of his games over the past week (from the week+ before) and he's just so impressive in how he understands what space to occupy during transition and how to bait forwards into doing certain things so that he can then go in with a pokecheck or force them to a spot. he legitimately reminds me of chara in how he approaches defending. he kind of has the carlo demeanor, and i bet that's the comparison that will get made when he is on this roster, which i sincerely believe will be soon, but he isn't like him in how he defends. carlo tries to break up plays before the forwards are even set, urho does the chara thing of letting them do it and planning on taking it away last second. then with urho, he can also skate really, really well. i'm really excited for his camp this coming season. what a player. he is 18 and liiga is not a development league, it's a pro league with grown men playing for money just like the nhl.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
i also want to add, urho is a guy that his teammates consider him to be a big goofball. he is a smiley guy and i think that euros sometimes get viewed as rigid and cold at times when they’re unknowns cause of language barriers and culture. urho is a guy that since he was a teen has been a player considered to have a ‘personality’. i think this is why axelsson liked him in the way he liked pastrnak very strongly.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Regarding Subban, lets keep in mind that three otherwise outcast goalies are putting up world class numbers for Vegas. It could be the defense.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
i also want to add, urho is a guy that his teammates consider him to be a big goofball. he is a smiley guy and i think that euros sometimes get viewed as rigid and cold at times when they’re unknowns cause of language barriers and culture. urho is a guy that since he was a teen has been a player considered to have a ‘personality’. i think this is why axelsson liked him in the way he liked pastrnak very strongly.

Thank you for posting. Always appreciate the updates!

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
@PlayMakers brings up a point however that is worthy of discussion. While I don't necessarily agree with it, if it is a coaching thing, then the team needs to do something and quick.

If they plan on bringing Khudobin back, or someone else and let McIntyre continue to develop because they have a "better option, or he's not ready", then they are in the same situation next year with McIntyre as they were with Subban, since McIntyre too will have to clear waivers a year from now.

Do we really want to be in that position with two potential starters in back to back years because, for whatever reason, they weren't ready?

And what about Vladar, Swayman and to a lessor extent Keyser, who are currently excelling with their teams?

The B’s have not exactly been a hotbed of goalie development, so I suppose Essensa could be at fault...or it could just be that Subban “hit it off” with the Knight’s goalie coach?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The B’s have not exactly been a hotbed of goalie development, so I suppose Essensa could be at fault...or it could just be that Subban “hit it off” with the Knight’s goalie coach?

It also might have been something as simple as getting his mind right after getting an opportunity in Vegas on the pro roster from Day 1. A confidence thing, you know? He had to know, especially coming into this season ,that he was 4th on the Bruins list. Give him a change of scene, a belief that he has a real chance to make it, a decent D in front of him and he's making the most of it. We might be tempted to rag on Sweeney here, but Subban hadn't shown he could handle NHL duties at the time of the expansion draft, Zane was clearly not ready, and so why risk losing Dobby? Vegas might not have taken him, but it could have been potentially ugly if they had. Anyway, good on Malcolm for making it.

I am hoping Zane takes the next step and makes resigning Dobby a poor option.

Reactions: TCB

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Has nothing to do with Essenza. The guy played two NHL games here, 2 years apart. In between he suffered a serious injury setting him back. How can you possibly say he was given a fair shot here? The guy was drafted in the 1st round for a reason. He is hardly the first goalie who has struggled in his 1st couple of NHL \games. He had a fantastic camp and played fantastic in his pre season games this year. This is clearly just a huge mistake by Sweeny. He rolled the dice thinking no one would take him and he lost.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

On the one hand, I hope that Subban does well, because he seems like a nice kid. On the other hand, I don’t want to hear for the next decade how the B’s should have kept him, when he didn’t give them a ton of reasons to keep him, other than being a former first round pick.

Also, just want to point out that while Subban does look legit, 10 games is an extremely small sample size to base a long term opinion on.

Subban (age 23):

10 games, 2.33 GAA and .924 Save %

Andrew Hammond (age 26/27):

21 games, 1.79 GAA and .941 Save % (14/15)

21 games, 2.35 GAA and .914 Save % (15/16)

Not a perfect comparison. Subban is obviously younger because Hammond went the NCAA route and didn’t turn pro until he was 24.

I’m just using this as a cautionary example because Hammond, who was pretty good in two NHL stretches, has regressed and is mired in the AHL at this time.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Never got a fair shake here, good for Subban to show what he can do, what a waste again. Saying that at least we have a lot of talent in the net so not a huge loss, just did not get anything for him. Great to see the updates on Urho, hoping he makes the jump to the AHL next year.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Why these lists are crap unless I'm doing it

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/

Bruins 12 and Leafs 9

Bwhahahaha

I had a scout tell me Bruins were 2 maybe 1 even not drafting the great Barzal

The author background who put Leafs 3 ahead

Has Flyers 1 and lists Jordan Weal as a top prospect with 300 AHL games but Senyshyn with 0 at the time is not progressing

I'm not sure looking at the top 10 I can find a team that beats Boston now that I have 2 months to verify what I knew in the summer

https://thehockeywriters.com/author/bslawson/

Gee what a surprise

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What if I do one? :D
I steal stuff from what you tell me already

Bob Beers said they were top 2 with Philadelphia as well although I'm waiting for all these Flyers defenseman like Morin and Myers to hit the show

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
How has senyshen looked in AHL? What do you believe is his upside?
Only seen him in October and he is certifiably fast

I will check back in January and then April may need at least a full season and start next in AHL

His upside is very good - he will play entire season at 20 I believe

He's already starting to get it from people I respect their hockey opinions

He could play two full AHL seasons and still be 21.

He and Zboril are being instructed to work on parts of their game they did not develop as much as other areas- it leads to repressed numbers but both Zboril & Senyshyn have picked up production while they become more comfortable in what areas the Bruins have targeted.

Zboril a notorious trick or treat player has been reigned in and his simple game is becoming smoother while leading the team in +/- and getting points in 3 of last 4 games.

Senyshyn has been instructed to concentrate on taking the puck to the inside as opposed to using his speed to go wide and try and blow by defenseman which is more difficult as you move up

My guesstimate is second line RW more skilled Mason Raymond

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

not so sure about that - he obviously knew there was interest in subban based on other GMs calling to possibly acquire him,
as well as general intel around the league. my take on what sweeney did was simple - he's trying to win, and thought
khudobin was the better goalie when it came time to setting his roster. and since they had so many bodies up front,
carrying 3 goalies wasn't a great option (it usually never is anyway). good for subban he's finally figuring things out,
but at the time, i didn't think waiving him was that big of a deal. it's also too bad that subban got hit in the throat with
a shot when he did - before that, he seemed to finally be trending toward a legit prospect. a bunch of bad luck and
circumstance.

Reactions: BBB24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad