Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't know that the Bruins didn't think the same thing as Vegas when it comes to Subban (I certainly did and was dead against giving up on him). They certainly didn't want to lose him. But it does tell you that someone in Vegas spent a lot of time watching him. For a goaltending coach to insist to his GM that he can turn him into a number one says something. It also says something when the GM puts that much trust in his coaches/scouts.

And I agree about Vatrano. If everyone is healthy, (excluding Cehlarik for now) they'll have 14 forwards. McQuaid will be back soon and that's 8 d-men. Grizz will likely go back to Providence. Vatrano and Beleskey look to be the 13th and 14th forwards. Can't have over $4 million sitting upstairs. Which probably means Vatrano going the way Subban did.

Personally, I like the way Vatrano has played this year. I think the effort has been good and he’s improved his physicality and 3 zone play. However, Cassidy doesn’t seem to be a fan for some reason? The only saving grace for Vatrano is that Cassidy seems to like Beleskey less.

I agree that with everyone healthy it appears that Vatrano and Beleskey are the 13/14 F’s. I’m not sure I agree on the other part about them losing him? We may be at the point with Beleskey where Sweeney would waive him and send him to PRO before losing Vatrano for nothing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Personally, I like the way Vatrano has played this year. I think the effort has been good and he’s improved his physicality and 3 zone play. However, Cassidy doesn’t seem to be a fan for some reason? The only saving grace for Vatrano is that Cassidy seems to like Beleskey less.

I agree that with everyone healthy it appears that Vatrano and Beleskey are the 13/14 F’s. I’m not sure I agree on the other part about them losing him? We may be at the point with Beleskey where Sweeney would waive him and send him to PRO before losing Vatrano for nothing.

One thing all these injuries have done Joe is messed up their damn cap for the year. I don't want them to carry 14 forwards and use up the valuable space they have accumulated (which isn't much). I'd be happy if it was Beleskey, less happy if it was one of the kids to go down.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

When Debrusk returns (provided no other forward gets injured) they will have to make a decision on someone. They aren't/can't carrying 15 healthy F.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
When Debrusk returns (provided no other forward gets injured) they will have to make a decision on someone. They aren't/can't carrying 15 healthy F.

My argument is why wait until DeBrusk returns?

They have 16 forwards counting against the cap with Cehlarik and DeBrusk on IR. So, they already have 14 healthy bodies up front when they should have 13.

Bite the bullet, send down a body, and bank the cap space. At some point, McQuaid (who is skating) is going to have to fit back under the cap.

IF they are going to send down a prospect, they'd better send down the one who is currently bringing the least. But I guess they will factor in waiver eligibility.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I would send down Bjork and get him some games with a lot of minutes in all situations. The same treatment Heinen, DeBrusk and Cehlarik got. Pasta is finally firmly on the top line and I don't see ppl slot in Bjork there anymore. If they could send down Beleskey too. Grizz will probably go down too but has played good in the 6th spot. Not sure I want to see McQuaid and Miller as a combo. The top 4 dee are set in my mind, Chara, Mac - Krug and Carlo.

Reactions: zaYG

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My argument is why wait until DeBrusk returns?

They have 16 forwards counting against the cap with Cehlarik and DeBrusk on IR. So, they already have 14 healthy bodies up front when they should have 13.

Bite the bullet, send down a body, and bank the cap space. At some point, McQuaid (who is skating) is going to have to fit back under the cap.

IF they are going to send down a prospect, they'd better send down the one who is currently bringing the least. But I guess they will factor in waiver eligibility.

I think it's also thrown a wrench into things with the D. Right now, Gryz is playing over Postma. When McQuaid returns, I would assume Gryz will come out of the line-up, but we'll see, he's playing well and having him in there solves and LD/RD unbalanced (if that really matters. and allows them to keep Krug with Carlo and Miller on the right side.

Cehlarik is out for at least a month, but McQuaid is now skating and set to return.

Getting this group down to 23 guys will be a problem, let alone 22. Unless they simply like you said bite the bullet, and send guys down, which will mean likely non-waiver guys like Gryz, Debrusk, Bjork, etc.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I’m sorry, but this is patently false.

McIntyre totally outperformed Subban last year at the AHL level.

Subban: 32 games, 2.41 GAA, .917 Save %

McIntyre: 31 games, 2.03 GAA, .930 Save %

In addition, last year was ZM’s second year as a pro, while Subban was in his 4th professional year. Based on this, how exactly were there “more questions” about ZM?

The only reason Subban is playing is because the two goalies in Vegas that were in front of him got hurt, but all of a sudden he’s starter material and McIntyre is “more likely to be a backup if he makes it”??

I’m not coming to the same conclusions you are.
Yes Zane outperformed Subban last year, after Subban really struggled coming back from his throat injury, otherwise Zane never would have had the job in net. Zane is also a year older and closer to the finished product while not as athletically gifted as Subban. Zane's question marks are about his top end skill, I'm not debating he had a great year last year but looking at just the one year is I think a bit unfair to Subban and Zane. I'm also not saying Subban is going to end up the better goalie, but I never lost faith that he could be a #1, I just don't feel as confident Zane will get there.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Yes it is. Subban was acquired to be the backup not number 3. He immediately took over once Fleury got injured. What is not readily known is that it was Vegas' goaltending coach that pushed GMGM hard to take him off the waiver wire. He insisted "I can turn him into a number one goalie".
I wasn't claiming Subban is a #1 right now, I wasn't even upset with how things went down, just IMO Subban is still the goalie with a higher upside. I shouldn't have so definitively said Zane has more question marks, but it is at least debatable.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Any updates on Vaakanainen, Berglund, Koppanen or Steen?
I've been paying a bit of attention to Vaakanainen. I've watched a few games and honestly I haven't been super impressed with his play. He is a really nice skater, but sloppy with the puck. Haven't seen a lot of offensive upside at all, he has something like 3 points in 20 games. He is averaging over 22 minutes a night at 18 in the Liiga so the coach seems to have a good amount of trust in him, but he has been moving up and down the lineup.

Not trying to write him off by any means, just haven't seen anything eye popping or really exciting from him.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I've been paying a bit of attention to Vaakanainen. I've watched a few games and honestly I haven't been super impressed with his play. He is a really nice skater, but sloppy with the puck. Haven't seen a lot of offensive upside at all, he has something like 3 points in 20 games. He is averaging over 22 minutes a night at 18 in the Liiga so the coach seems to have a good amount of trust in him, but he has been moving up and down the lineup.

Not trying to write him off by any means, just haven't seen anything eye popping or really exciting from him.

Those 22 minutes lead his team - I'd say that's super impressive for a player of his age.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wasn't claiming Subban is a #1 right now, I wasn't even upset with how things went down, just IMO Subban is still the goalie with a higher upside. I shouldn't have so definitively said Zane has more question marks, but it is at least debatable.

I'm not sure you meant to respond to me or to Joe.

I was simply pointing out to him that it didn't take "two goalies above him to get injured to get into the lineup." He was their backup immediately after being claimed and got in once Fleury got injured.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I haven't seen him play, but not surprised by your viewing. Not all mid first or later D picks will be studs like McAvoy and Carlo. In fact, that's rare. Doesn't mean he can't be a solid NHL defenseman.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Thanks for the honest evaluation. I guess the good news is that he's playing a lot. He may end up being one of those guys who uses his skating more to defend than attack.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Jeremy Swayman stopped 39 of 41 Vermont shots as Maine posts a 6-2 win over the Catamounts.

Swayman is having an excellent freshman season. He's now 5-3-1 with 2.36 GAA and .925 save percentage. And his numbers of late are even better.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Also, Minnesota (R. Lindgren) and Wisconsin (T. Frederic, C. Hughes) are tied 2-2 in the 3rd.

Frederic had a nice assist where he won a puck battle in the corner and made a nice feed in front for a one-timer.

EDIT: As I type, Frederic just put the Badgers in front 3-2 with 9:00 to go.

Reactions: DKH and PlayMakers

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for the honest evaluation. I guess the good news is that he's playing a lot. He may end up being one of those guys who uses his skating more to defend than attack.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't taken it as a major condemnation, he's 18 and 19 games into his career playing against men. Just haven't seen much of an offensive game from him. The fact they rely on him so much over there is a good sign he's gonna be a player.

BruinsNetwork

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't taken it as a major condemnation, he's 18 and 19 games into his career playing against men. Just haven't seen much of an offensive game from him. The fact they rely on him so much over there is a good sign he's gonna be a player.

I’ve watched the majority of his games this season and I disagree with your assessment of him being “sloppy” with the puck. In fact, I think he’s been the opposite.

He may not possess an impressive offsensive-skill set, but that’s not what he was drafted for, nor has it ever been his game.

SaiPa employs his services in just about every situation you can think of, and for good reason. He’s one of the best skaters you’ll find, and has a great set of defensive tools that he knows his limits with. He has been making safe plays, and on top of it, can really connect a great first-pass out of the zone. He’s a really good puck-moving defender.

Vaakanainen has been logging some heavy minutes, too. He currently ranks 10th in the entire Liiga for TOI, as well.

His gap-control and defensive-stick is exceptional, he rarely lets a player beat him to the inside of the ice. He can jump on pucks quickly down low and then skate himself out of trouble.

As a potential defensive partner to McAvoy one day, he could very well end up mimicking what Seidenberg was able to offer Chara for all those years.

Reactions: maxbme and DKH

joujou

Jul 23, 2017
He does use his skating to attack and likes to join in rushes, but just hasn't been able to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad