Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Ottawa, Bruins win 3-2

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
How was Bjork overall? Missed the game.

I see we outshot and out possessioned them badly and got 1 power play all night. About right.

Invisible.....Was dropped from Bergies line early, Took a lazy penalty.......Then he had some stickem stuck on the bottom of his pants for most of the third period. Anything can change in one game and he can get hot cause some potential is certainly there.....

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Invisible.....Was dropped from Bergies line early, Took a lazy penalty.......Then he had some stickem stuck on the bottom of his pants for most of the third period. Anything can change in one game and he can get hot cause some potential is certainly there.....

i still would rather see cehlarik out there instead of Bjork.
Then we could move the lines around more effectively until Marchand comes back.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The only thing that concerns me right now is that they may be peaking too soon. There is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Just call me Eeyore ;)
I would like to see them make a deal now for a RW to play with Krejci very soon . The team played a solid road game last night but McAvoy and Marchand were clearly missed . Not sure they can beat the Blues or the Leafs next week without those two . In any case an inevitable snag will occur over the next couple of months . Let’s just hope they are healthy going into the playoffs and they should be able to give any team they meet all they can handle and let the chips fall where they may ..

Reactions: BMC

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017

incorrect. immediately visible, flying around under control, breaking up plays and making plays... played very well.. though i was drunk by the end so i don't remember how he finished.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
incorrect. immediately visible, flying around under control, breaking up plays and making plays... played very well.. though i was drunk by the end so i don't remember how he finished.

He was good early on, but after Heinen scored on the PP (with 37 and 88), Cassidy swapped Bjork and Heinen. I think it was more about Heinen working well with that pair and facing NHL competition while Bjork has been in PRO...and less about Bjork being bad.

Cassidy addressed the situation after the game and said they talked to both Heinen and Bjork before the game and told them the swap was a possibility. He said facing a lesser matchup was helpful to Bjork in the last half the game.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008

Bjork started out exactly how I thought.. Out of sync/his league with the best line in all of hockey. I thought he played much better when he was moved down. Hopefully, he improves with every game.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Is it just me or is Nash playing really well right now? If he keeps this level of play up and maybe makes a little noise in the playoffs he could cash in nicely this summer.
Not just you. IMO he has been playing pretty good for awhile.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Okay. Let's start off by saying that every team had to lose someone. If I'm looking at this right, only 7 teams out of 30 made trades with Vegas to protect certain players. The Bruins elected to keep Kevan Miller, who has played extremely well this season, and was coming off a good 2nd half and a great playoff (he was huge for the team, despite the loss. He played over 25 minutes a night for them) at the time of the choice to keep him. Either way, you were going to lose a good defenseman. Colin would have been blocked here by McAvoy and Carlo. He was not going to get the chance he's getting in Vegas. Despite the good offensive numbers from him, he's still a wreck defensively. The point still stands regardless of the results. Every team had to lose a player.

I'm going to give you it because it's a legitimate reason why he wasn't dealt. Teams don't usually trade their UFA(s)-To-Be when they're in the hunt. St. Louis may have dealt Shattenkirk, but they had an in-house replacement for him in Parayko. Also, there are more examples of teams keeping their UFA's than dealing them, when they're trying to make the playoffs (or are going to make the playoffs and want to try and make a run). They missed the playoffs by what, 1-2 point(s)? I get it helps your argument to ***** and moan that they didn't deal Eriksson but at the end of the day, plenty of teams don't do what you're crying about.

Keeping Soderberg wasn't even a Sweeney move. That was Chiarelli's last Trade Deadline here. Do you ever fact check, or just shoot at the hip? Sweeney is the one who dealt him for the conditional 6th. Once again, despite your crying about how they should trade UFAs while in the hunt, they were in the hunt this season as well. See above. You rarely see it happen. You know why? It sends a bad message to the team.

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing". Rinaldo trade was bad. Oh well, GM's make bad trades. Supposedly Neely was big behind this one as well.

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing".

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing". Khokhlachev is still apart of the Bruins organization. Revisionist history to say he should have been moved years ago. Saying stuff like that doesn't help your argument. It weakens it.

Don't reference them. You said "X". I want examples of "X". Not examples of "X" and throwing in "Y" to try and bolster your weak point. That was easy. Thank you.
Who has had a better year this year, Carlo or Colin Miller? I would've rather kept Colin Miller than Kevan Miller. Colin Miller is 5 years younger and has a higher ceiling. Plus Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller are similar enough players that you do not need both. (why they signed both at the numbers they did, is beyond me).

Also you could've made a move to protect Colin Miller, then moved Krug and saved a bunch of money that you could've done something else with, while keeping the same offensive output. Krug is a better playmaker than Miller, but for the salary difference, it'd be worth it. Miller and Krug's wreckness defensively offset eachother.

Well I was on the "move Eriksson you idiots" train that whole year so I get to gloat after the fact when I turned out to be right. Even if they made the playoffs, that wouldn't have been worth keeping him as opposed to moving what could've been another first round pick.

My bad on the Soderberg thing, I stand corrected. It was hard for me to differentiate between all of Chiarelli's NHL level roster moves and Sweeney's. I don't think Sweeney has made a single good move at the NHL level other than signing Pastrnak for under 7 million. Stafford was a pretty good move I guess, he contributed at the cost of only a 6th, and that playoff experience was worth it to see McAvoy, so I'll give him that as a plus as well.

You can't do the "oh well it happens" with Rinaldo. There isn't another person alive who would make that deal besides Sweeney. Totally brainless, and don't get me started on Neely. I'm not a fan of his work in the front office either.

Ok so they didn't give them away for 0, they gave them away for 0.00000001. I stand corrected.

Khoklachev isn't revisionist history, I was saying it at the time, a lot of people were. He's still part of the organization but it's highly unlikely they'll get anything even remotely useful for him at this point, whereas when he was still a "prospect" he could've at least had some value to some idiot.

First off Khoklachev is still Bruins property and him spending time in the KHL instead of being lost to waivers may benefit us in the long run. Colin Miller would be the 8th D on this team and you think we should have traded assets to keep him? Rinaldo was a bad trade, we lost a 3rd round pick, it happens.
The rest of the guys you mentioned were either key players on a bubble team or were rentals literally the definition of something you pay for and give up again with nothing being returned. Does this team need more 2nd to 5th round picks? I just don't see how you can look at both the success the team is having and the depth of the prospects and think, man Sweeney has really screwed some things up.
Sweeney has done a great job with prospects (other than the total blunder of Barzal). I'm happy overall with the young guys, it'd be impossible not to be. The rest of my responses to basically this are above.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Who has had a better year this year, Carlo or Colin Miller?

Also you could've made a move to protect Colin Miller, then moved Krug and saved a bunch of money that you could've done something else with, while keeping the same offensive output. Krug is a better playmaker than Miller, but for the salary difference, it'd be worth it. Miller and Krug's wreckness defensively offset eachother.

There not even comparable defenseman. Colin Miller is offensively gifted and defensively challenged. Brandon Carlo is defensively gifted and offensively challenged. Colin is 25 years old, and Carlo is 20. So you make a move to protect Colin Miller, and trade Krug (who is better than Colin all-around) and create a huge hole in the left side of the defense? You're now stuck with 5 RHD's and 1 LHD (Grzelcyk at the time wasn't even a consideration).

Well I was on the "move Eriksson you idiots" train that whole year so I get to gloat after the fact when I turned out to be right. Even if they made the playoffs, that wouldn't have been worth keeping him as opposed to moving what could've been another first round pick.

Just because you were on that train, doesn't make your outlook on it correct haha. No one cares if you ended up being "right" on the Bruins not moving him and missing. Teams don't move their UFA(s)-To-Be because it sends a bad message to the team. They were in the hunt for the playoffs and were trying to make it. You had a better chance to make it with Eriksson than without. Yes, making the playoffs would have been worth it than getting a 1st round pick. I take a potential play off series (and Cup run) over getting another draft pick.

My bad on the Soderberg thing, I stand corrected. It was hard for me to differentiate between all of Chiarelli's NHL level roster moves and Sweeney's. I don't think Sweeney has made a single good move at the NHL level other than signing Pastrnak for under 7 million. Stafford was a pretty good move I guess, he contributed at the cost of only a 6th, and that playoff experience was worth it to see McAvoy, so I'll give him that as a plus as well.

So the Marchand extension wasn't good? How about getting Heinen to leave school early? What about Anders Bjork? The Lucic trade was very good for what he got in the deal. Backes signing has looked good as well.

You can't do the "oh well it happens" with Rinaldo. There isn't another person alive who would make that deal besides Sweeney. Totally brainless, and don't get me started on Neely. I'm not a fan of his work in the front office either.

I can't? So all other GM's are perfect and don't make bad trades besides Sweeney?

Khoklachev isn't revisionist history, I was saying it at the time, a lot of people were. He's still part of the organization but it's highly unlikely they'll get anything even remotely useful for him at this point, whereas when he was still a "prospect" he could've at least had some value to some idiot.

It is revisionist history to say the team should have traded him earlier on.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
That is what you say, i say other wise. Thats what makes a horse race.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
There not even comparable defenseman. Colin Miller is offensively gifted and defensively challenged. Brandon Carlo is defensively gifted and offensively challenged. Colin is 25 years old, and Carlo is 20. So you make a move to protect Colin Miller, and trade Krug (who is better than Colin all-around) and create a huge hole in the left side of the defense? You're now stuck with 5 RHD's and 1 LHD (Grzelcyk at the time wasn't even a consideration).

I would've rather kept Colin Miller than Kevan Miller. Colin Miller is 5 years younger and has a higher ceiling. Plus Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller are similar enough players that you do not need both. (why they signed both at the numbers they did, is beyond me).

Well I'd assume that if you move Krug it'd be in a package for a better all around LD. Everything changes if they were to make these moves, it's not like they would've just gone into the year exactly as they would've this one.

Just because you were on that train, doesn't make your outlook on it correct haha. No one cares if you ended up being "right" on the Bruins not moving him and missing. Teams don't move their UFA(s)-To-Be because it sends a bad message to the team. They were in the hunt for the playoffs and were trying to make it. You had a better chance to make it with Eriksson than without. Yes, making the playoffs would have been worth it than getting a 1st round pick. I take a potential play off series (and Cup run) over getting another draft pick.

Who cares about bad messages? And teams do do that, I just gave you a team that did it and was better off for it. The whole point is that that team had zero chance at a "Cup run". It's the GM's job to identify that and act. Just because it would've been an unpopular move to some, doesn't mean it was the wrong one. What would Belichick have done? Ask Jamie Collins.

So the Marchand extension wasn't good? How about getting Heinen to leave school early? What about Anders Bjork? The Lucic trade was very good for what he got in the deal. Backes signing has looked good as well.

The Marchand extension was good, the Lucic trade was good but at the NHL level he hasn't brought in a lot, that was a deal for prospects. Also I should include that I liked the Hamilton trade. I would've liked it better if he shopped him around more and tried to get NHL ready players, but getting rid of Hamilton at all is addition by subtraction in my mind. Backes is having a nice year but that's a horrific overpayment, and I say that as a fan of him as a player. That contract is ridiculous.

I can't? So all other GM's are perfect and don't make bad trades besides Sweeney?

Where did I say that? I said nobody else would've made that particular trade. It's indefensible.

It is revisionist history to say the team should have traded him earlier on.

You can't say something is revisionist history when someone was saying it at the time.
bold

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
Not just you. IMO he has been playing pretty good for awhile.
I agree. I feel like in the beginning of the year some people thought he was becoming Cassidy's Campbell, a 4th line talent who just gets played too much because the coach loves him. Yet he's been so good at keeping / gaining possession of the puck + defense that he's earned the TOI. Just a really smart player.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Who has had a better year this year, Carlo or Colin Miller? I would've rather kept Colin Miller than Kevan Miller. Colin Miller is 5 years younger and has a higher ceiling.

I always laugh when someone says one person has a higher ceiling than another. Sorry, but nobody knows what a player's ceiling is until their career is essentially over. You can take a guess, but you don't have any real idea.

Reactions: Chief Nine

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I always laugh when someone says one person has a higher ceiling than another. Sorry, but nobody knows what a player's ceiling is until their career is essentially over. You can take a guess, but you don't have any real idea.
Ceiling is just another way to say how much potential a player has. A huge percentage of a general manager's job is to evaluate that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad