Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Ottawa, Bruins win 3-2

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Besides Malcolm Subban, who he attempted to trade before, what players has he let go of for nothing?

It’s not “a lot of us.” It’s a select few.
Colin Miller (Every team and their mother was making deals with Vegas to keep them from drafting certain players. He could've found a way to keep Miller)

Loui Eriksson (This is the worst one in my opinion. Don't give me the "they were in playoff contention blah blah blah". That team was obviously going nowhere. St. Louis was in the exact same spot with Shattenkirk, a similar player in terms of how overrated they are in my opinion, and they did the right thing and moved him. St. Louis made the playoffs, while the Bruins missed them even despite keeping Eriksson. I'll give Sweeney credit for not being stupid enough to double down and sign him in the offseason, but then again didn't he want to re-sign him? I forget.)

Carl Soderberg (should've been traded at the deadline, it was obvious they weren't going to re-sign him and the team was going nowhere. Instead they waited until the off season where they could only trade his rights, and only got a 6th. Could've gotten at least a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd with deadline prices. Kept him and bought like morons, and they miss the playoffs anyway.)

3rd round pick (Zac Rinaldo is nothing, might even be less than nothing)

2nd and 4th round picks (Bruins had Stempniak in their training camp in the preseason, let him go and ended up trading for him as buyers at the deadline in a season where they were obviously going absolutely nowhere and should've been selling. So they waste a 2nd and 4th on a journeyman and miss the playoffs anyway)

Alex Khoklachev (Not a player I like at all but he was clearly someone who the writing was on the wall that he wasn't a fit here, should've been moved years ago)

Some of those you didn't get literally nothing, but you might as well have.

Reactions: Mpasta and Ratty

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Coaching has been huge.
Bruins are a threat to win the Cup. The two biggest hurdles will be Tampa Bay and who they could meet up in the Stanley Cup final. I think they should be buyers at the trade deadline. Left wing winger and defenseman.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Coaching has been huge.
Bruins are a threat to win the Cup. The two biggest hurdles will be Tampa Bay and who they could meet up in the Stanley Cup final. I think they should be buyers at the trade deadline. Left wing winger and defenseman.

I think their biggest hurdle will be youth and how they react to the pace of NHL playoff hockey IMO

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
How was Bjork overall? Missed the game.

I see we outshot and out possessioned them badly and got 1 power play all night. About right.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Colin Miller (Every team and their mother was making deals with Vegas to keep them from drafting certain players. He could've found a way to keep Miller)

Loui Eriksson (This is the worst one in my opinion. Don't give me the "they were in playoff contention blah blah blah". That team was obviously going nowhere. St. Louis was in the exact same spot with Shattenkirk, a similar player in terms of how overrated they are in my opinion, and they did the right thing and moved him. St. Louis made the playoffs, while the Bruins missed them even despite keeping Eriksson. I'll give Sweeney credit for not being stupid enough to double down and sign him in the offseason, but then again didn't he want to re-sign him? I forget.)

Carl Soderberg (should've been traded at the deadline, it was obvious they weren't going to re-sign him and the team was going nowhere. Instead they waited until the off season where they could only trade his rights, and only got a 6th. Could've gotten at least a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd with deadline prices. Kept him and bought like morons, and they miss the playoffs anyway.)

2nd and 4th round picks (Bruins had Stempniak in their training camp in the preseason, let him go and ended up trading for him as buyers at the deadline in a season where they were obviously going absolutely nowhere and should've been selling. So they waste a 2nd and 4th on a journeyman and miss the playoffs anyway)

Alex Khoklachev (Not a player I like at all but he was clearly someone who the writing was on the wall that he wasn't a fit here, should've been moved years ago)

First off Khoklachev is still Bruins property and him spending time in the KHL instead of being lost to waivers may benefit us in the long run. Colin Miller would be the 8th D on this team and you think we should have traded assets to keep him? Rinaldo was a bad trade, we lost a 3rd round pick, it happens.
The rest of the guys you mentioned were either key players on a bubble team or were rentals literally the definition of something you pay for and give up again with nothing being returned. Does this team need more 2nd to 5th round picks? I just don't see how you can look at both the success the team is having and the depth of the prospects and think, man Sweeney has really screwed some things up.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not sure if theres something specific that you're referring to, but I've thought that too

Good player and seems like a really good person, mature for his age. I know its dumb but if you look at his Instagram , post game interviews, or just his social media presence at all it seems like he is at the same maturity level as the veterans like Krejci
No, he just seems like a nice kid when he’s interviewed. Like you say he comes across as mature and humble.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Fill-ins help keep Bruins on a roll - The Boston Globe

OTTAWA — Life without Brad Marchand started just fine for the Bruins on Thursday.
Danton Heinen, who replaced Marchand on the No. 1 power-play unit, scored a man-up goal at 11:35 of the second period. Tim Schaller, Marchand’s fill-in on the penalty kill next to Patrice Bergeron, snapped a shorthanded goal over Mike Condon at 1:58 of the third.
Jake DeBrusk, usually the No. 2 left wing behind Marchand, scored the winning goal at 8:41 of the third period.
So even though Marchand started to serve his five-game suspension against Ottawa, the Bruins had enough to claim a 3-2 win at Canadian Tire Centre to stretch their points streak to 18 games (14-0-4). Tuukka Rask stuffed 21 of 23 shots to extend his run to 16-0-2.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Okay. Let's start off by saying that every team had to lose someone. If I'm looking at this right, only 7 teams out of 30 made trades with Vegas to protect certain players. The Bruins elected to keep Kevan Miller, who has played extremely well this season, and was coming off a good 2nd half and a great playoff (he was huge for the team, despite the loss. He played over 25 minutes a night for them) at the time of the choice to keep him. Either way, you were going to lose a good defenseman. Colin would have been blocked here by McAvoy and Carlo. He was not going to get the chance he's getting in Vegas. Despite the good offensive numbers from him, he's still a wreck defensively. The point still stands regardless of the results. Every team had to lose a player.

I'm going to give you it because it's a legitimate reason why he wasn't dealt. Teams don't usually trade their UFA(s)-To-Be when they're in the hunt. St. Louis may have dealt Shattenkirk, but they had an in-house replacement for him in Parayko. Also, there are more examples of teams keeping their UFA's than dealing them, when they're trying to make the playoffs (or are going to make the playoffs and want to try and make a run). They missed the playoffs by what, 1-2 point(s)? I get it helps your argument to bitch and moan that they didn't deal Eriksson but at the end of the day, plenty of teams don't do what you're crying about.

Keeping Soderberg wasn't even a Sweeney move. That was Chiarelli's last Trade Deadline here. Do you ever fact check, or just shoot at the hip? Sweeney is the one who dealt him for the conditional 6th. Once again, despite your crying about how they should trade UFAs while in the hunt, they were in the hunt this season as well. See above. You rarely see it happen. You know why? It sends a bad message to the team.

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing". Rinaldo trade was bad. Oh well, GM's make bad trades. Supposedly Neely was big behind this one as well.

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing".

Doesn't count. You said, "Gave players away for nothing". Khokhlachev is still apart of the Bruins organization. Revisionist history to say he should have been moved years ago. Saying stuff like that doesn't help your argument. It weakens it.

Don't reference them. You said "X". I want examples of "X". Not examples of "X" and throwing in "Y" to try and bolster your weak point. That was easy. Thank you.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The only thing that concerns me right now is that they may be peaking too soon. There is still a lot of hockey to be played.

Just call me Eeyore ;)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Anybody notice the look on Cassidy’s face when Vatrano took that second penalty? It was nice knowing ya Frankie . Don’t slam the door on the way out .

I thought (other than the 2nd penalty) Vatrano was good tonight. He skated hard, was physical, and had some chances. His check behind the net in the first created a prime scoring chance for Kuraly.

The second penalty was bad and bad luck, and I don’t recall him seeing the ice after that. Must be tough to not get in a game for a month and then have to worry about every play you make.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
December 14th. I know because some TV host from TSN said it last night :) But without looking I couldn't say who it was against and what the final score was.

Just checked and it was Washington. 5-3 loss. Before looking, I thought it was against Nashville that they had their last regulation loss... That's how long that been since no one can't remember exactly...

Last regulation loss for Vezina Rask? Two months ago, November 26 against Edmonton.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Coaching has been huge.
Bruins are a threat to win the Cup. The two biggest hurdles will be Tampa Bay and who they could meet up in the Stanley Cup final. I think they should be buyers at the trade deadline. Left wing winger and defenseman.[/QUOTEkit
Coaching has been huge.
With Marchand, DeBrusk, Heinen, Schaller, and Bjork and Cehlarik waiting in the wings (pun intended), left wing is the least of our problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad