Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose but not from lack of effort

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
-------------
When you start the selling process, you don't know when it finishes. As an fan first of the Nordiques I can speak with experience. Nords di do that starting with Hunter trade and they did have the worst record of NHL for more than 5 years!!! It changes the philosophy, team thinking and all what is needed to what Bruins gave fans in the past 5 years. The dressing room understand that they don't need to be engaged because management do not believe in them.

I think management needs to show the way and bring help, clearly in an intelligent manner or make a statement with who they are attacking the last stretch of the season. This team needs a statement! And hopefully before the trade deadline!

With respect to those who believe in this,selling mode for a professional team is a loser mode in my book. It is not battling, nor fighting in what can be one of the most competitive professional world that can be.

I want the Bruins management to fight and try to improve. I agree with Neely even if nothing is possible to be done, at least take decision and fight your ass back targeting the top!

Oh, so you mean like when CHI won the Cup, and then they traded a bunch of guys, only to win the Cup again two years later?

Oh...wait :sarcasm:

The Cap is stagnant, the B's have holes that need to be addressed, and hard decisions need to be made. The "selling process" as you call it is a necessary evil. Do you really think it would be smarter to throw away picks and/or prospects (the future) on a team that has been maddeningly inconsistent all year, only to have them bow out in the first round?

I don't.

Also, with the way that some of the vets have been playing, I think that the B's could get rid of Paille, Campbell, Sides, Loui at the deadline and roll with PRO guys or pieces they get in the trades and have just as good a shot at the playoffs. They were losing with Krejci in the lineup, and yet with him out, the team has turned in two of it's more energetic performances all month.

If you sell, and are smart about it, there is no reason the team will not be more ready to compete next year than this one is now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The kind of loss you could deal with if they were in 1st - 4th place. Not the kind that you can deal with when they're hanging onto 8th.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Spooners D-play isn't good enough,
Lucic-spooner-pasta can be great offensively but in the own zone they can be quite bad.

It seems like Rask has to play both games this weekend, we are just few points ahead of florida/philly and julien doens't trust sved and sved doesn't trust himself now thanks to our management mistakes and his poor play lately.

I feel like this is some sort of convenient crutch that people are jumping all over based on past comments by the B's coaching staff. I thought that Spooner made a couple of mistakes last night, but that's what happens when you play rookies or guys with limited NHL experience. It's part of the learning process, and the effort was there for Spooner.

I see vets like Paille, Campbell, etc., making similar mistakes all the time, but they have the rep as good defensive grinders, so it's all good. Tell you what, if the B's had been using that 4th line as a tool to get young players ready, instead of a dumping ground for Clode's veteran binkies for the last X amount of years, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. There is zero reason why kids like Spooner, CC, Ferlin, and others could not have been used earlier in the year and given the B's more than the vets I mentioned and Gagne. In addition, if you have to move a Spooner up to cover a Top 6 injury, he has been playing 4th line minutes all season and the transition is much smoother.

This season could be a good wake up call, a sign that the status quo way of doing things is not cutting it. Or, it could just be written off as a "bad year". Hopefully, the guys that get paid to pay attention to this stuff...are.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Am I the only one that doesn't see the moral victories from last night? Or am I just so jaded by the state of this team that I can't see them?

Krug looked good. Spooner looked good. Ferlin looked good. Paille scored. Bergeron was a beast at the dot...but that's really it. Just a meh game for me. Nothing horrible, but not a ton of positives to take away and build on either.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Am I the only one that doesn't see the moral victories from last night? Or am I just so jaded by the state of this team that I can't see them?

Krug looked good. Spooner looked good. Ferlin looked good. Paille scored. Bergeron was a beast at the dot...but that's really it. Just a meh game for me. Nothing horrible, but not a ton of positives to take away and build on either.

Agreed. The fact that we could only score one on Lack....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed. The fact that we could only score one on Lack....

Even when they were winning this year, they topped out around 2 per game, so scoring only 1 isn't a big shock to me. They're offensively inept. Devoid of any real finish. It's what Chia and Claude covet, and it's why this team stinks on ice.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
smith and ferlin should switch lines.

out of the last 3 games. we won the game we played the worst in.
need some more of those bounces we got in sunday.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
For the amount of defensive mistakes Spooner makes, I'm actually okay with it.......in the two games since he returned, he's been excellent in transition and create chances in the offensive zone.

With that being said, I'd really like to now see Koko brought up. We need some more speed / offensive forwards as this current group isn't doing anything and I don't see a trade happening anytime soon.

I still don't understand Julien though.....Paille sits in the box and then because Soupy is hurt he drops Kelly to the 4th line, which makes him a waste.

batesy

Dec 5, 2014
Nova Scotia
This team showed no heart yet again..wrist shots on lacks chest & no drive too the net ... Chara also declined an invitation from Kassian ..some captain trade him

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
that game was terrible to watch. this team has no heart or identity.

seidenberg is cooked.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
For the amount of defensive mistakes Spooner makes, I'm actually okay with it.......in the two games since he returned, he's been excellent in transition and create chances in the offensive zone.

With that being said, I'd really like to now see Koko brought up. We need some more speed / offensive forwards as this current group isn't doing anything and I don't see a trade happening anytime soon.

I still don't understand Julien though.....Paille sits in the box and then because Soupy is hurt he drops Kelly to the 4th line, which makes him a waste.

It's where Kelly belongs, on the 4th line at even strength and playing heavier minutes when protecting a lead in the 3rd. I thought all the lines looked fantastic last night, including the 4th line. Something that cannot be said very often with Campbell in the lineup. It's safe to say his goose is cooked and it is time for him to move on from the game into an executive suite somewhere.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
If we play Montreal 1st round we'd probably lose every game 1-0

I've seen some significant adjustments to the way this team plays. The third man up high doesn't just sit at the blueline being a static piece anymore. He pinches to the net and cheats to the strong side. The pinching to the net is creating the chaos that is needed to punch a hole in a team that collapses the net. The goals aren't going to be pretty, but you will get them in on Price. It's a welcome change, I just hope they don't go back to the robotic play from before.

They still need to work on the breakout from their end. The play up the boards with the ship out is very predictable and gives us fits when the opposing team sends 2 forecheckers. The forwards need move around in that box a bit more to keep active and get open. When the spare man is pinching off the box to the wall and gets possession, the others in the box are stationary and it is causing issues with that breakout. The D-D pass works well against some teams to force them to change and have a controlled breakout, but I wouldn't expect much playoff success doing that consistently. I would propose the strong side high man work a bit more on positioning to create a better breakout 2on2 with speed through the neutral zone.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
The eighth-place Bruins remain in a dogfight to make the playoffs. It most likely will stay this way until April. But they’ll be in good shape if they play like they did against the Canucks. In the long run, high numbers of chances usually make bad luck irrelevant. -Fluto

As much as I want to believe this message so much, this just doesn't hold any bearing with the Bruins for some reason.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I feel like this is some sort of convenient crutch that people are jumping all over based on past comments by the B's coaching staff. I thought that Spooner made a couple of mistakes last night, but that's what happens when you play rookies or guys with limited NHL experience. It's part of the learning process, and the effort was there for Spooner.

I see vets like Paille, Campbell, etc., making similar mistakes all the time, but they have the rep as good defensive grinders, so it's all good. Tell you what, if the B's had been using that 4th line as a tool to get young players ready, instead of a dumping ground for Clode's veteran binkies for the last X amount of years, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. There is zero reason why kids like Spooner, CC, Ferlin, and others could not have been used earlier in the year and given the B's more than the vets I mentioned and Gagne. In addition, if you have to move a Spooner up to cover a Top 6 injury, he has been playing 4th line minutes all season and the transition is much smoother.

This season could be a good wake up call, a sign that the status quo way of doing things is not cutting it. Or, it could just be written off as a "bad year". Hopefully, the guys that get paid to pay attention to this stuff...are.

I wasn't saying let's scratch him, but you could clearly see him losing battles and being lost in the own zone, I earlier suggested that we could pay eriksson with spooner so he could help him to cover his mistakes. He needs time and someone like eriksson could help him a lot.
But I do like that we have more speed now, it's something that has been lacking with us and spooner+ pasta will give us that.

I hope when krecji comes back we can leave spooner on our bottom 6 to bring speed.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
It's where Kelly belongs, on the 4th line at even strength and playing heavier minutes when protecting a lead in the 3rd. I thought all the lines looked fantastic last night, including the 4th line. Something that cannot be said very often with Campbell in the lineup. It's safe to say his goose is cooked and it is time for him to move on from the game into an executive suite somewhere.

If you're trying to create some offense...why would you insert Paille on your 3rd line and move Kelly down?

Kelly doesn't hurt you playing 12-15 minutes a night, where Paille can kill any momentum you have by missing the net or missing an empty net.:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
went to game thought the Bruins played well- they lost got no points but didn't see a mail in job at all but I'm am optimist

Krug getting 22 minutes is not good- he's a 17 minutes first power play guy

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm at a loss for what Julien is going to do here. When the team is down late, he doesn't have his ace in the hole, Gregory Campbell, available to go out and not get the equalizer...:naughty:

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
The eighth-place Bruins remain in a dogfight to make the playoffs. It most likely will stay this way until April. But they’ll be in good shape if they play like they did against the Canucks. In the long run, high numbers of chances usually make bad luck irrelevant. -Fluto

As much as I want to believe this message so much, this just doesn't hold any bearing with the Bruins for some reason.

Sounds a lot like our recap of the Montreal series.

"We outplayed them...but just hit the post or barely missed the net."

Time to put the biscuit in the basket!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad