Bruins doing some creative accounting?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Anybody else get this?

The merchandise is TICKETS but look at how the charge was posted.

:help:

u2HDyJH.jpg

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
That proves it! They're currently accepting donations to help with the cost of a top 4 defenseman.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Don't want to jump the gun, but that is a bit sketchy.

Only reason I can't see it being some sort of legitimate tax evasion scheme is because it's so publicly broadcast. If you're going to pull a stunt like that, I can't imagine you would leave such an obvious trail.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That is the first of 10 monthly payments for one seat and that is how they hit the card.

Anybody else see this on their credit card bill?

Nope. Mine says: Pre auth BRUINS SEASON TICKETS LOC: 617-624-1952

And then I get charged a ridiculous amount of money and watch my balance go down.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
Bob Sweeney is the executive director of the foundation. Sounds like they are his seats. Bad attempt at humor by me.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The season ticket payment was processed by the Bruins Charity - not the team :shakehead

The NHLPA and independent accountants would certainly have a problem (and there mouths would be watering) with this.

If I were you, I'd call to make sure my money actually went to paying down my tickets and not to the charity. Although there is nothing wrong with sending money to a charity.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Funny, I was just about to buy theater tickets (decided not to just yet), and they literally tried to DOUBLE the price because ticket prices only cover half the cost - the doubling would be a donation.

But obviously that's not what this is. I can't imagine that the Bruins, being so public, would have some scheme where they funnel/launder millions of dollars of STH payments each year into their non-profit to evade taxes.

So, using Occam's razor, and knowing how careless Zippy the New Intern can be, I would guess someone may have misentered a name when setting up the B's payment system with the credit card companies, although I have no details on exactly how that works. *shrug* All I know is Visa seems to know the name of the grocery stores that I go to, so I imagine the grocery store told them their name and store number at some point. Same thing for the Bruins.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Funny, I was just about to buy theater tickets (decided not to just yet), and they literally tried to DOUBLE the price because ticket prices only cover half the cost - the doubling would be a donation.

But obviously that's not what this is. I can't imagine that the Bruins, being so public, would have some scheme where they funnel/launder millions of dollars of STH payments each year into their non-profit to evade taxes.

So, using Occam's razor, and knowing how careless Zippy the New Intern can be, I would guess someone may have misentered a name when setting up the B's payment system with the credit card companies, although I have no details on exactly how that works. *shrug* All I know is Visa seems to know the name of the grocery stores that I go to, so I imagine the grocery store told them their name and store number at some point. Same thing for the Bruins.

I will tell you this much - I am not happy that I am being charged $54 a seat for the preseason games that the Bruins are hawking on Groupon for $12 a game.

CamTheMan

Apr 7, 2008
I will tell you this much - I am not happy that I am being charged $54 a seat for the preseason games that the Bruins are hawking on Groupon for $12 a game.

That's a slap in the face to loyal STH's. Not even remotely humorous.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

I didn't even see that. God they suck.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I hate defending the Bruins, but you're being charged $54 a game for the Habs, Hawks, and Pens, too...so, you sellin'? :sarcasm:

And is that Groupon really the Bruins directly? I can't blame the Bruins if people are reselling at below face - it's not a Florida-like situation. I'm pretty sure I saw some heavy boilerplate on Groupon that said they weren't affiliated with the NHL/Bruins, and that this was being fulfilled by a third party. That's pretty common - I'm sure some vendors list their tickets on other vendors.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

That tells you everything you need to know about how this organization thinks about it's customers.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate defending the Bruins, but you're being charged $54 a game for the Habs, Hawks, and Pens, too...so, you sellin'? :sarcasm:

And is that Groupon really the Bruins directly? I can't blame the Bruins if people are reselling at below face - it's not a Florida-like situation. I'm pretty sure I saw some heavy boilerplate on Groupon that said they weren't affiliated with the NHL/Bruins, and that this was being fulfilled by a third party. That's pretty common - I'm sure some vendors list their tickets on other vendors.

The tickets are coming from somewhere. :dunno:

The so called third party is obviously getting them at a much cheaper price than the STH's.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The tickets are coming from somewhere. :dunno:

The so called third party is obviously getting them at a much cheaper price than the STH's.

And if they are selling them for $12, how much is Groupon getting?

For that price, just give them away to kids and families who can't afford to go to a game, or give them to Military families..

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That tells you everything you need to know about how this organization thinks about it's customers.

How much do the Patriots charge STH's for the two preseason games they are required to buy?

Up until 2014, pretty sure it was exactly the same?

Now they are lower, but you have to pay more for "marquee" games. So, they are still nailing you, it's just a little more subtle :laugh:

nickyb

May 5, 2004
I have the same "Bruins Charitable Foundation" charge on mine.......it is being done so they can utilize it as a tax write-off......plain and simple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad