Boston Globe Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs on the state of the franchise: ‘We measure success in Stanley Cups’

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Jeremy Jacobs is 84 and still leads Monday morning Zoom calls where the leadership team reviews operations of the entire Delaware North enterprise.

Charlie Jacobs and his brothers still go to their father — whom they refer to affectionately as “The Chairman” — for the final say-so on major decisions.

When it comes to the Bruins, Charlie Jacobs oversees and empowers Neely and Sweeney to make team decisions, with Charlie and Jeremy Jacobs consulted on major calls related to contracts, trades, and coaching changes.

Jeremy Jacobs sold his team shares to his six children five years ago but retains veto power.

“At the end of the day, if he calls and says, ‘Do something,’ I’m doing it, because he’s still the boss,” said Jacobs.

That said, Jeremy Jacobs’s workdays have become shorter the past couple of years, with the sons assuming the bulk of day-to-day responsibilities.

“People age differently,” said Jacobs. “My mom and my dad, I’m going to say, are feeling their age, which sucks, but you know, he wants to be there, to be in the office, to be part of the action.”

Jacobs married his second wife, Liz, last January at a resort in the Matterhorn area of the Swiss Alps. By his first wife, he has three children: 23-year-old twins Katie and Charlie, and 21-year-old William.

After moving to Boston from California in 2001, the Jacobs family moved to Weston two years later and raised their children there. Jacobs moved back to Boston, to Downtown Crossing, six years ago.

Attachments

• charlie.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 2

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
IMG_0597.jpeg

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins have won exactly one Stanley Cup since Jacobs’s father, Jeremy, bought the team, the old Boston Garden, and a 2.3-acre West End parcel for $10 million 49 years ago.

Going by Charlie Jacobs’s silver chalice standards, a rate of one championship per half-century, even with six losses in the Finals, is not successful.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I believe that Charlie is in the Wyc Grousbeck mold and wants to win above all, but Monty Burns doesnt. Unfortunately until he's under the dirt, the team wont spend, and no spending to cap <> spending. Its the behind the scenes things that they cheap out on like coaching, front office, scouting department, etc

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Then your franchise has been nothing short of an abject failure during the course of your father’s ownership tenure.

F

But we all know that they measure success based on butts in seats and beer sold, by which they earn an A-. The only blip came when things got really bad post Thornton trade.

Looking at this franchise objectively over the course of my time as a fan (call it the past 30 years), they’re a B.

Amazing regular season success. Regularly one and done in the playoffs throughout the 90s to consistently knocking in the door, but rarely breaking through during the past 15 years.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
He basically said that he was going to fire Montgomery if they lost to Toronto without saying he was going to fire Montgomery.

Monty's got one year left if you ask me and he's toast if he doesn't get out of the first round.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Loser. F him for us not having a WNBA team either. Feel bad for the Celtics owners who will incur 8-9 figure losses annually to deliver a winner while Buffalo Jeremy counts his money.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Could be worse, in Buffalo they measure success by which cup contender they can get their players traded to.

(Consider their core a few years ago was Ryan O'Reilly, Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart. Reinhart had to wait an extra year because of Eichel, but maybe if we want to win the cup we need to sign Zemgus Girgensens in free agency or trade for a Sabre at the deadline :) )

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Could be worse, in Buffalo they measure success by which cup contender they can get their players traded to.

(Consider their core a few years ago was Ryan O'Reilly, Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart. Reinhart had to wait an extra year because of Eichel, but maybe if we want to win the cup we need to sign Zemgus Girgensens in free agency or trade for a Sabre at the deadline :) )
My wife grew up in suburban Buffalo and let’s just say that she’s had a few unprintable words about this fact over the last 2 days.

If success is measured in Stanley Cups, maybe they should have spent a little more in the late 80s/early 90s to get those teams over the top instead of just being “adequate”.

Reactions: BiteThisBurrows

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
One thing I'll never really get used to in following any major league American sports team - that any franchise is essentially just the personal property/hobby of a few rich folks and as fans we can simply watch and support what they dish up, or not. It is what it is but there's a coldness and detachment to it that's a little off-putting.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Too bad no one asked me jacobs how much longer this team can be unsuccessful for in his mind before changes are made.

These comments must have sent a shiver up Sweeney’s spine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad