Post-Game Talk: Bruins 5 - Isles 2 (we be sick edition)

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think the one really clear cut difference is in nets. With all the marbles on the line, right now there's no single TT you put out there every single game. if Rask had a bad loss in game 1 of the playoffs, would be really curious to see who started game 2.

I think we know that if one of these goalies gets hot, like .925% hot, we can go all the way. May really be what does it. I don't think anyone wins a cup with 6-2/5-2 games. Things get so tight in the playoffs.
That’s a good question and a very tough call . I would like to see Khoudobin get a little more work the rest of the way , since they are both playing well and as you suggest we might have to use them both in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That’s a good question and a very tough call . I would like to see Khoudobin get a little more work the rest of the way , since they are both playing well and as you suggest we might have to use them both in the playoffs.

They have 6 Back-to-back situations left, with 38 games to go. They won't ask Rask to play 32 games (putting his season total at 61). I'd expect to see Khudobin start at least 12 more times before the end of the season. I think they've done a good job of getting both guys minutes during this hot run.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I don't see Boston going to Khudobin in the playoffs, unless there is an injury to Rask.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I think the one really clear cut difference is in nets. With all the marbles on the line, right now there's no single TT you put out there every single game. if Rask had a bad loss in game 1 of the playoffs, would be really curious to see who started game 2.

I think we know that if one of these goalies gets hot, like .925% hot, we can go all the way. May really be what does it. I don't think anyone wins a cup with 6-2/5-2 games. Things get so tight in the playoffs.
In that scenario, unless Rask is injured, you see Rask. 10 times out of 10.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009

A bit wobbly, took some hits along the way but got there in the end albeit in an unorthodox way. I interpret this as the Isles will make the playoffs as the last wildcard by the skin of their teeth, losing their last 3-4 games in the shootout.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The last Isles game, Cassidy explained you just have to push Barzal wide to stop him. In this game, Marchand did just that. He's fast enough to keep up and guided him to the boards. As soon as he got him there, he shoved Barzal into them and down to the ice, and stole the puck for a clean breakout. Simple...if you have a Marchand type defensively.
Big time.

Barzal doesn't strike me as the all blood, sweat & tears guy. If one hits him a couple of times and is in his face constantly, there won't be any miracles happening for him. He becomes very pedestrian.

If there's one thing that impressed me about him, beside the raw speed, is that he is one of the hardest players I have seen at trying to try to get himself space from an opponent in the offensive zone. He is always in CONSTANT movement, trying to create that 2-3 feet of space for himself that allows him to have that extra half a second in deciding what to do. Everyone tries to do it, but he is very good at it.
Then, it's not a surprise that when it's time to defend, that fairly often he goes into gliding mode: his energy is mostly devoted to offense.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Big time.

Barzal doesn't strike me as the all blood, sweat & tears guy. If one hits him a couple of times and is in his face constantly, there won't be any miracles happening for him. He becomes very pedestrian.

If there's one thing that impressed me about him, beside the raw speed, is that he is one of the hardest players I have seen at trying to try to get himself space from an opponent in the offensive zone. He is always in CONSTANT movement, trying to create that 2-3 feet of space for himself that allows him to have that extra half a second in deciding what to do. Everyone tries to do it, but he is very good at it.
Then, it's not a surprise that when it's time to defend, that fairly often he goes into gliding mode: his energy is mostly devoted to offense.
He's 20,with 48 points and a plus 6. Tavares has 55 points and is a minus 1.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Just heard the Jan 10 edition of the new 31 Thoughts podcast. At about 16:00 mark, Elliott tells about asking Barzal about a story he heard around the draft: “a team” interviewing the young phenom asked “what if we don’t take you?” And he supposedly answered, “good luck with that.”
You’d have to listen to the 2:00 clip for context. Just thought some might find it of interest.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I believe that this was the best post in the Islanders GDT: "Bruins going 4 corners, looking like the Globetrotters"

:biglaugh:
Crazy but I thought that watching they were playing keep away

It went on so long I thought maybe they were down a man and quickly counted the Islanders on the ice,

To me that shift was like the Dallas fight game in 2011. It was 'we are bleeping good and deal with it - and oh yah the Bergeron line is on the bench watching like everyone but the 5 Bruins in the islanders offensive zone.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Just heard the Jan 10 edition of the new 31 Thoughts podcast. At about 16:00 mark, Elliott tells about asking Barzal about a story he heard around the draft: “a team” interviewing the young phenom asked “what if we don’t take you?” And he supposedly answered, “good luck with that.”
You’d have to listen to the 2:00 clip for context. Just thought some might find it of interest.

Sounds like a douche with that answer.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You put Barzal on Boston third line they go undefeated and that can get old pretty quick

Do we want the Bruins to be the UConn girls basketball team ?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
not looking too far ahead but these next two games we are facing teams on their second game of a back to back. Hoping for 4 more points here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Big time.

with the way he creates turnovers in the offensive zone he probably doesn't spend much time "defending" anyway. kid is the real deal. I know it sucks that the Bruins passed on him but there's no reason to try & minimize how good he is.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
with the way he creates turnovers in the offensive zone he probably doesn't spend much time "defending" anyway. kid is the real deal. I know it sucks that the Bruins passed on him but there's no reason to try & minimize how good he is.

I said it and I repeat it: Barzal is the "real deal" when he is allowed to roam. Put pressure and get physical with him whenever it's possible and he becomes much more pedestrian. I bet that next year, when teams have adapted to how he plays, he will be much less effective offensively.
He also strikes me as a very peripheral player too. And last but not least, I am not impressed with his defensive effort.

What you call "try & minimize how good he is", to me it's how I see the player. If you don't agree with how I see him, all you have to do is show me how I am wrong. It's that simple.

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad