Post-Game Talk: Bruins 0ver Kings 2 - 1 in overtime.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great game by Poitras. Love his smarts and vision. If he can really step up and make the 2C spot his own, then other pieces fall into more natural places around him. Coyle goes back to being the 'elite' 3C that is his best position, and the Bruins can avoid any temptation to try Zacha in the middle again, which IMO would be a mistake. 2RW is going to remain the obvious hole. Good thing about that is management shouldn't be able to convince themselves that they can somehow just paper it over. Going to need a make an add to sort it out.

The Kings were the better team here. Not massively, but they were more consistent and played with good pace and pressure. Bruins had their moments but some pretty average patches as well. Pasta sucked until he very much didn't. That's his way on nights like this. 4th line was good again. E Lindholm is making a great early impression. Otherwise still plenty of things to improve. Thought the D was slightly better overall, but remains very much work in progress. Guys like Lohrei and Zadorov are going to continue to grow into their roles. Sway is starting to really get into his stride.

There's a good team here. It's just going to be a gradual build this season. Nothing wrong with that, as long as things keep trending in the right direction.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Great game by Poitras. Love his smarts and vision. If he can really step up and make the 2C spot his own, then other pieces fall into more natural places around him. Coyle goes back to being the 'elite' 3C that is his best position, and the Bruins can avoid any temptation to try Zacha in the middle again, which IMO would be a mistake. 2RW is going to remain the obvious hole. Good thing about that is management shouldn't be able to convince themselves that they can somehow just paper it over. Going to need a make an add to sort it out.

The Kings were the better team here. Not massively, but they were more consistent and played with good pace and pressure. Bruins had their moments but some pretty average patches as well. Pasta sucked until he very much didn't. That's his way on nights like this. 4th line was good again. E Lindholm is making a great early impression. Otherwise still plenty of things to improve. Thought the D was slightly better overall, but remains very much work in progress. Guys like Lohrei and Zadorov are going to continue to grow into their roles. Sway is starting to really get into his stride.

There's a good team here. It's just going to be a gradual build this season. Nothing wrong with that, as long as things keep trending in the right direction.
I think in that situation they should try Freddy on line 2 RW, if he can pop 18 on line 3 he can get 20-25 on line 2 and provide some solid two way play

Reactions: Fenian24

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I was wondering if he'd get an assist or not. That is amusing and interesting.

Poitras looked good. Team struggles offensively but that was LA hockey. They did the same shutdown thing against Buffalo game before. They will likely be low scores all season.
Swayman looks fine. Doesn't seem to have needed preseason at all. Marchand is still a great penalty killer. Brazeau fighting it a bit today but not enough to sub in Jones just yet.
Really liked Monty's decision to roll with the skilled young guys in the OT. Smart move as they are good with the open ice.
I'm happy with it. LA is always tough for us. On to the next one.

Reactions: sooshii

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Couldn’t agree more

I am 100% with you

However, don’t see them making Coyle that third line center yet ~ I’d love a 11-13-Geekie line but can’t see Monty doing it

Poitras needs about 40 games healthy with about 30 points before he gets coaches consideration

everything we do is validation or a lesson- I really hope Risto cheap check on him at the end of a meaningless exhibition game had a silver lining lesson - keep him at center and not a winger.

Get him in open ice with the puck and let him create not battle on the wall more than he should

I see a lot of Gregg Shepherd and Marc Savard in him

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I was wondering if he'd get an assist or not. That is amusing and interesting.

Poitras looked good. Team struggles offensively but that was LA hockey. They did the same shutdown thing against Buffalo game before. They will likely be low scores all season.
Swayman looks fine. Doesn't seem to have needed preseason at all. Marchand is still a great penalty killer. Brazeau fighting it a bit today but not enough to sub in Jones just yet.
Really liked Monty's decision to roll with the skilled young guys in the OT. Smart move as they are good with the open ice.
I'm happy with it. LA is always tough for us. On to the next one.
I’ll say this watching Braz from center ice - he played physical. He didn’t pass up checks he could have. One really bad bounce where he has a great chance to score.

I hope they keep him on 3R for next game

Marchand-Poitras-Frederic
Geekie-Coyle-Brazeau
Coyle statistically plays well with Frederic

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just in.

What a nice day. Beautiful weather.

PASTA BABY !!!!!!!!!!! Shit on him all you want but he had (as he often does) the winning goal.

Poitras looked great. I hope he can stay un-hurt.

Lots of sloppy play today but with all of the new guys the chemistry will take a bit to get together.
Anybody who shits on Pasta hasn’t watched enough hockey to know how extremely rare it is to have a Bobby Orr come along the pike.

Also the kind of person who would complain about a 78 degree sunny day because they really prefer 77 sunny days.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think in that situation they should try Freddy on line 2 RW, if he can pop 18 on line 3 he can get 20-25 on line 2 and provide some solid two way play

I'm not sold on Frederic as long-term top 6 potential, and I prefer him on his natural left, but for sure I'd have no problem giving this a try. If he flourishes great, if not no harm done.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Elias Lindholm seems to make a smart play every shift. Already loving this guy.
1728783014964.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: DoubleBack

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Couldn’t agree more

I am 100% with you

However, don’t see them making Coyle that third line center yet ~ I’d love a 11-13-Geekie line but can’t see Monty doing it

Poitras needs about 40 games healthy with about 30 points before he gets coaches consideration

everything we do is validation or a lesson- I really hope Risto cheap check on him at the end of a meaningless exhibition game had a silver lining lesson - keep him at center and not a winger.

Get him in open ice with the puck and let him create not battle on the wall more than he should

I see a lot of Gregg Shepherd and Marc Savard in him

Yeah I don't see them rushing Potts into 2C, and no need to either. Let his game grow and mature on the 3rd, fingers crossed he can stay healthy. But 2nd line should be the goal. Just a question of when exactly to pull the trigger on elevating him. We can see how things progress. Ideally they can give him opportunities here and there to play with the likes of Marchand and Pasta and gradually get more of a taste for it. Putting him out there with Pasta and Lohrei in OT was a great example of that, and it paid off.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
4th line is great. Poitras is a keeper.

That powerplay pisses me off. I don't know how it'll ever be fixed but my goodness. It's atrocious.

Pasta didn't have his best game, but showed up when we needed him the most. Teams chemistry will get better as we go along. Lots of things to work on. But happy to get a win.

You already know the drill!
View attachment 915664

Cue the music!

And remember:
View attachment 915665

Now that the Bruins have all of that beef on the bench, Pasta can go back to being the goal scoring star instead of the enforcer.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Poitras was excellent. Hard to hold him back. More PP time and more looks with Marchand and/or Pastrnak. Don't want to read too much into one game, but it's definitely there IMO. He has "it". If Coyle could see the ice like that, he'd be a 100pt scorer. No knock on Coyle.

4th line. Great again. Kastelic and Koepke are a great fit for Beecher. They keep him active and moving his feet. Can't say enough about that trio. Don't let it slip.

Swayman, goes without saying. Saved their bacon on a number of occasions. That's why you pay for goaltending I guess

Pastrnak had trouble getting his legs going all game. Nothing was working for him. Still the most lethal player on either team by a good margin. A goal in every game so far. No complaints.

Love Zadorov. Going to be a fan favorite. You can see the familiarity developing with McAvoy. That's going to be pairing you have to keep your head up for.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Marchand is coming off some procedures (3)so it will take him some time to hit his stride.He is 36 and not the player to get u 90 pts anymore but washed is a bit much.Show the man some respect he has earned that much from us.
Yes he's totally captain worthy and still a good player.

But he's 36 years old and he's hardly a big guy. Probably Geekie Freddy at best in terms of points.

PPG all-star expectations would be dumb.

Still sign me up for 2-3 more years. Can't squeeze much more out of a player than we have with Brad.

Carlo is the problem dump him yesterday McAvoy doesn't fight either and he's gonna get Poitras killed being that soft. Peeke is fine stepping up.

And the core is way too comfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad