Half-Assed GDT: Broons at Blooz - 7pm Central

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
LAST 10 GAMES: Blues: 9-0-1, averaging 5.4 goals, 10 assists, 2.3 penalties and 4.6 penalty minutes while giving up 2.8 goals per game with a .921 save percentage.

Bruins: 5-5-0, averaging 3.3 goals, 5.5 assists, 5.2 penalties and 13.9 penalty minutes while allowing 2.7 goals per game with a .903 save percentage.

old-school-streaking.gif

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

When: Tuesday, April 19 at 7 p.m. CT
Where: Enterprise Center in St. Louis, MO
Watch: ESPN+, Hulu
Listen: 101 ESPN, Blues App

:blues
*Projected*

Saad-O'Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Thomas-Tarasenko
Barbashev-Schenn-Walker
Joshua-Brown-Kyrou

Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Rosen-Bortuzzo

Husso/Binnington

vs.

:bruins
(These are pulled from their practice lines, I would assume Bergeron plays)

Marchand-Studnicka-DeBrusk
Hall-Haula-Lazar
Frederic-Coyle-Smith
Foligno-Nosek-McLaughlin

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Reilly-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton

Swayman

I already had this made up when I saw this thread so here ya go​

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I wasn't too impressed with Boston's style of play in our last game. I bet they weren't happy with it either. I'll be surprised if we don't see a lot better effort from them this time.
they're kinda beat up. looks like Pasta and Lindholm are still out

and of course, won't be able to watch since it's an espn game.. sigh.. oh well

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I would think Binnington gets another start, but I'm never right...
JR posted Husso as the starter about 10 minutes after your post lol. That is just incredible timing.

I'd have gone with Husso tonight as well. He's won 8 straight starts and got the team an OT loss in relief during that stretch. He's got a .926 over that stretch, stopped 39 of 41 against Boston last week and his season-long .923 is 4th in the league. Binner has strung together a few good games and is trying to force the door back open. But even if you want to call the Minnesota game a bad one from Husso, that's his first one of those in quite some time. Those happen and one off night (where we still earn 2 points) shouldn't loosen his grip on the net.

3 good starts from Binner doesn't bring us back into a tandem situation or a goalie controversy. As of today, Husso is the starter. That can change if Husso throws out a couple more clunkers and Binner stays hot. But as of right now, their usage should remain unchanged. In the midst of a battle for home-ice, your starter should go against playoff teams in games that aren't part of a back to back. Husso is still the starter and should be going tonight.

After tonight, we go out west to play 3 non-playoff teams in 4 days. If you want to see a couple games out of Binner, play him in two of those. That gives each goalie 2 more starts in the next week before we get Colorado and Vegas to close the year. If you are thinking about starting Binner in game 1 (I don't think we should be thinking that yet), then you can get some more data in these next 4 games and then start him against Colorado and Vegas to test him against better teams. But for now, Husso is the guy, you should be signaling to him that he is the guy and he should play tonight.

I wouldn't have been upset about Binner going tonight, but I wouldn't have liked it. I think that Husso has earned more leash than parking him on the bench after a 6-5 win.

Edit: As a rule, I hate the term goalie controversy. I also don't think that we are in a goalie controversy and don't think we should be in anything resembling a goalie controversy. Husso should be the game 1 starter unless his play drastically falls off in the next 11 days. With that said, it would be fantastic if Binner can string together 2-3 more good starts and give Berube the confidence to go to him if Husso stumbles. A playoff series is not the time for long leashes and our first round (and likely second round) opponent can score a ton of goals. I think there is a good chance that we see all of Husso, Binner, Talbot and Fleury in the opening round. Having both firing on all cylinders might be required. This absolutely could be a series that is decided when a team puts in the backup and then comes back to win the game.

Holtby lost the starter's job to Grubauer in 2018 and then won the job back in the 1st round of the playoffs. The Pens got wins out of both goalies in each of their back-to-back Cups. Darling saved the Blackhawks in round 1 in 2015 before Crawford found his game. It's not unheard of to need both goalies in a Cup run.

Last edited:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
JR posted Husso as the starter about 10 minutes after your post lol. That is just incredible timing.

I'd have gone with Husso tonight as well. He's won 8 straight starts and got the team an OT loss in relief during that stretch. He's got a .926 over that stretch, stopped 39 of 41 against Boston last week and his season-long .923 is 4th in the league. Binner has strung together a few good games and is trying to force the door back open. But even if you want to call the Minnesota game a bad one from Husso, that's his first one of those in quite some time. Those happen and one off night (where we still earn 2 points) shouldn't loosen his grip on the net.

3 good starts from Binner doesn't bring us back into a tandem situation or a goalie controversy. As of today, Husso is the starter. That can change if Husso throws out a couple more clunkers and Binner stays hot. But as of right now, their usage should remain unchanged. In the midst of a battle for home-ice, your starter should go against playoff teams in games that aren't part of a back to back. Husso is still the starter and should be going tonight.

After tonight, we go out west to play 3 non-playoff teams in 4 days. If you want to see a couple games out of Binner, play him in two of those. That gives each goalie 2 more starts in the next week before we get Colorado and Vegas to close the year. If you are thinking about starting Binner in game 1 (I don't think we should be thinking that yet), then you can get some more data in these next 4 games and then start him against Colorado and Vegas to test him against better teams. But for now, Husso is the guy, you should be signaling to him that he is the guy and he should play tonight.

I wouldn't have been upset about Binner going tonight, but I wouldn't have liked it. I think that Husso has earned more leash than parking him on the bench after a 6-5 win.

Edit: As a rule, I hate the term goalie controversy. I also don't think that we are in a goalie controversy and don't think we should be in anything resembling a goalie controversy. Husso should be the game 1 starter unless his play drastically falls off in the next 11 days. With that said, it would be fantastic if Binner can string together 2-3 more good starts and Give Berube the confidence to go to him if Husso stumbles. A playoff series is not the time for long leashes and our first round (and likely second round) opponent can score a ton of goals. I think there is a good chance that we see all of Husso, Binner, Talbot and Fleury in the opening round. Having both firing on all cylinders might be required. this absolutely could be a series that is decided when a team puts in the backup and then comes back to win the game.

Holtby lost the starter's job to Grubauer in 2018 and then won the job back in the 1st round of the playoffs. The Pens got wins out of both goalies in each of their back-to-back Cups. Darling saved the Blackhawks in round 1 in 2015 before Crawford found his game. It's not unheard of to need both goalies in a Cup run.

I'm still a firm believer that Binningtons troubles were because of covid but with that said, if he's showing he's recovered from it you still shouldn't just toss him back into the deep end. Husso earned his shot and unless Husso proves otherwise he should get it. I would make sure the leash for either goalie is extra short in the playoffs though.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019

Edit: As a rule, I hate the term goalie controversy. I also don't think that we are in a goalie controversy and don't think we should be in anything resembling a goalie controversy. Husso should be the game 1 starter unless his play drastically falls off in the next 11 days. With that said, it would be fantastic if Binner can string together 2-3 more good starts and give Berube the confidence to go to him if Husso stumbles. A playoff series is not the time for long leashes and our first round (and likely second round) opponent can score a ton of goals. I think there is a good chance that we see all of Husso, Binner, Talbot and Fleury in the opening round. Having both firing on all cylinders might be required. This absolutely could be a series that is decided when a team puts in the backup and then comes back to win the game.

I'm wrong every single time I take a guess...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol Trent Frederic was interviewed on 101ESPN yesterday and doubled down that "he wasn't going to hit Tarasenko, he was just going to act like he was going to hit him" regarding the incident. Then he followed that up by saying he doesn't think Tarasenko is that strong, but just fat.

What a clown.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Nice to see that Husso is back in net, and Leddy is back. I hope to get surprised by the good play of Brown, Joshua, and Walker. And, I hope Kyrou continues his comeback in tonight's game. I hope Scandella plays well again, so Parayko can be more effective, and I'll be interested to see how Krug and Bortuzzo play together. I expect better team defence from adding Leddy and his calmness in the D-Zone, and his ability to skate the puck out, and make good breakout passes, and ability to carry the puck into The O-Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad