Proposal: Brodin to Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If that was all it took to get Brodin 30 other teams would be interested.

Really? Name me 5 teams who has a Suzuki-like prospect they would be willing to trade for Brodin and have a need for him.

Actually, why don’t you make a list of all 29 teams and their offer they would be « ok with giving » that beats Suzuki and then let’s hear what their fans think of it. I’m interested

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As discussed in an another thread, what would both fan base would think about the following proposal :

Brodin to Habs

Suzuki and Schlemko to Wild.
It's unlikely that Fenton would trade either Spurgeon or Brodin mid-season unless we were getting a 2C of comparable age coming back, and that's probably not happening. Before the draft I could see one being traded for a decent package of futures, but it's hard to say which one.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Buffalo
Edmonton
St Louis
Toronto
Winnipeg

Brodin plays both sides and has a great cap hit. There’s absolutely a market and he’s easily would a 1st + very good prospect

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton needs a top 4. Had chemistry with Klefbom and Nurse played his best hockey with Larsson.

Buffalo is looking for a partner for Dahlin.

St.Louis is weak on LD and Bouwmesster is looking cooked.

Toronto needs a top pairing shutdown defenceman to pair with Reilly.

Winnipeg is likely losing Myers and could use a top 4 LD.

Reactions: Mitts888

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Add Montreal usage for him would be top pairing LD with Weber and you want to offer less than you received for Patches for an excellent 2/3 defenceman. I think you might be overvaluing a prospect.

A good prospect and depth player doesn’t get it done.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Edmonton needs a top 4. Had chemistry with Klefbom and Nurse played his best hockey with Larsson.

Buffalo is looking for a partner for Dahlin.

St.Louis is weak on LD and Bouwmesster is looking cooked.

Toronto needs a top pairing shutdown defenceman to pair with Reilly.

Winnipeg is likely losing Myers and could use a top 4 LD.

Okay but you haven't suggested any packages from these teams that they would offer. Cause a top prospect is a pretty good center piece.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Buffalo
Edmonton
St Louis
Toronto
Winnipeg

Brodin plays both sides and has a great cap hit. There’s absolutely a market and he’s easily would a 1st + very good prospect
Interested as a Leafs fan...depending on the prospect. really don't want to trade Lil/Sandin.

Reactions: FishManSam

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If that was all it took to get Brodin 30 other teams would be interested.

Not sure 30 other teams would be willing to give a prospect of Suzuki's quality for Brodin.

The way I see it, Brodin's is a bit of a poor man's McDonagh.

Last year, McDonagh and Miller were traded for Vladislav Namestnikov, a 2018 first-round pick, a conditional second-round pick in 2019, defensive prospect Libor Hajek forward prospect Brett Howden

McDonagh at that time was a #1D with 1 year left on his contract, Brodin is a #3D with 2 years left. Given the contract difference, I would say value is similar with a edge towards McDonagh.

So the trade could be broken down as such:

Miller for Namestnikov and B prospect (Brett Howden)
McDonagh for late 1st, conditional late second or 1st and C prospect (Hajek)

So value for a top 3 D would be worth a late 1st a 2nd and C prospect

In my opinion, the OP's proposal is fair given that Suzuki, who has progressed well since his draft is probably worth a late 1st and a 2nd and Schlemko is pretty ,uch worth a C prospect

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Really? Name me 5 teams who has a Suzuki-like prospect they would be willing to trade for Brodin and have a need for him.

Actually, why don’t you make a list of all 29 teams and their offer they would be « ok with giving » that beats Suzuki and then let’s hear what their fans think of it. I’m interested
Did i say anything bad about Suzuki? It was more geared towards Schlemko tough guy! With Brodin's contract it is going to cost more than Suzuki and that gap is not closer with Schlemko involved.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not sure 30 other teams would be willing to give a prospect of Suzuki's quality for Brodin.

The way I see it, Brodin's is a bit of a poor man's McDonagh.

Last year, McDonagh and Miller was traded for Vladislav Namestnikov, a 2018 first-round pick, a conditional second-round pick in 2019, defensive prospect Libor Hajek forward prospect Brett Howden

McDonagh at that time was a #1D with 1 year left on his contract, Brodin is a #3D with 2 years left. Given the contract difference, I would say value is similar with a edge towards McDonagh.

So the trade could be broken down as such:

Miller for Namestnikov and B prospect (Brett Howden)
McDonagh for late 1st, conditional late second or 1st and C prospect (Hajek)

So value for a top 3 D would be worth a late 1st a 2nd and C prospect

In my opinion, the OP's proposal is fair given that Suzuki, who has progressed well since his draft is probably worth a late 1st and a 2nd and Schlemko is pretty ,uch worth a C prospect

Larsson got Hall
Hamonic got 1st + 2 2nds

I like Brodin more than both of them. Now I’m not saying Brodin gets a Hall but I am saying Suzuki isn’t nearly enough.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Larsson got Hall
Hamonic got 1st + 2 2nds

I like Brodin more than both of them. Now I’m not saying Brodin gets a Hall but I am saying Suzuki isn’t nearly enough.
Brodin is a UFA in 2.5 years. Oilers GM overpayed way to much for Larsson, Hamonic is fair point however but a top prospect isn't nearly enough is a bit outlandish. I agree have have to add but think more like a second.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Brodin is a UFA in 2.5 years. Oilers GM overpayed way to much for Larsson, Hamonic is fair point however but a top prospect isn't nearly enough is a bit outlandish. I agree have have to add but think more like a second.

That’s definitely more reasonable offer with a 2nd. I still think it would be topped by another club though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’d move Edm 1st + any prospect not named Bouchard for him easily.
But what does EDM have besides Bouchard?

The comment about a " poor man's Mcdonagh" is fair, except that Brodin is a better skater. In today's NHL that never gets old.

My opinion is that Brodin might flourish offensively on a good team that needs him to step up and provide some offense. Nothing crazy, but I could see him scoring 30 points rather than the 20 odd he gets now w/o PP TOI.

I think Mn should keep him unless he is a necessary part of a deal for an impact player. Otherwise, just hold onto him for the next 10 years and have him anchor the D. Not flashy, but really useful.

Is Schlemko the new Desharnais?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That’s definitely more reasonable offer with a 2nd. I still think it would be topped by another club though.

I’m not sure how many clubs could address our long term needs better than Suzuki (and a 2nd, if that’s what ends up happening).

For instance, some of the other pieces I’ve seen mentioned in this thread are EDM1st, which I have very little interest in, Liljegren and Sandin (who were brought up as unavailable for Brodin), who don’t really address the point of trading Brodin.

I like Suzuki a lot as a prospect, and yes it’s a risk/reward balancing act here for Minnesota, but if it pays off then it pays off in spades. Not many right handed center prospects out there that are better than Suzuki, and very few teams are equipped to lose those guys. Montreal has Kotka and Poehling, and Domi is currently playing well at center for them as well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But what does EDM have besides Bouchard?

The comment about a " poor man's Mcdonagh" is fair, except that Brodin is a better skater. In today's NHL that never gets old.

My opinion is that Brodin might flourish offensively on a good team that needs him to step up and provide some offense. Nothing crazy, but I could see him scoring 30 points rather than the 20 odd he gets now w/o PP TOI.

I think Mn should keep him unless he is a necessary part of a deal for an impact player. Otherwise, just hold onto him for the next 10 years and have him anchor the D. Not flashy, but really useful.

Is Schlemko the new Desharnais?

I included Schlemko because he’s better than Soucy or whoever else we have in the AHL right now, and it’s a low value piece that can play for the NHL team.

The real get is obviously Suzuki here, who’s a 100 point player in the OHL, is extremely smart, a great skater, and has a bright future. Can potentially be an impact player within the next few years, and is generally cheaper than a young guy (20-25) who has already established himself as an impact player in the league. If you don’t get those guys by drafting them you have to be willing to take a little risk to acquire them.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I included Schlemko because he’s better than Soucy or whoever else we have in the AHL right now, and it’s a low value piece that can play for the NHL team.

The real get is obviously Suzuki here, who’s a 100 point player in the OHL, is extremely smart, a great skater, and has a bright future. Can potentially be an impact player within the next few years, and is generally cheaper than a young guy (20-25) who has already established himself as an impact player in the league. If you don’t get those guys by drafting them you have to be willing to take a little risk to acquire them.
I'd rather have a pick than Schlemko. Wild don't need to trade for mediocrity...we've got plenty of that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd rather have a pick than Schlemko. Wild don't need to trade for mediocrity...we've got plenty of that.

The pick came about after, so it would be Brodin for Suzuki, Schlemko, and 2nd. But yeah if it’s either Schlemko or the 2nd, I’d take the pick too. Like I said, Schlemko was a low value throw in so we’d still have an NHL LD.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The pick came about after, so it would be Brodin for Suzuki, Schlemko, and 2nd. But yeah if it’s either Schlemko or the 2nd, I’d take the pick too. Like I said, Schlemko was a low value throw in so we’d still have an NHL LD.
I agree with the way you're thinking, just don't think that moving Brodin is preferable.

He would be a perfect fit for MTL. Can skate and move the puck out of the D zone quickly, and cope with the fast paced game that MTL plays, while adding legit D.

Wish I wasn't so pessimistic about F. Johansson replacing Brodin down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad