Value of: Brodie or Giordano

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Reading the past few threads, numerous teams seem to be looking for a #1LD. Fortunately, the flames have two of them so we have the luxury of trading one. Our biggest hole in the lineup is lack of defensive depth, so ideally we'd be looking for a quantity for quality type of move or something along the line of it. We're not exactly in an hurry to fix what could be seen as embarrassment of riches, but depending on the offer it could improve the team long and short term.

Brodie / Giordano - Hamilton
X - X
Kulak / Jokipakka - Wideman
Engelland

We need to fill the Xs. One of them has to be expansion-exempt or valuable enough to be fine with the absolute certainty of losing the other.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Reading the past few threads, numerous teams seem to be looking for a #1LD. Fortunately, the flames have two of them so we have the luxury of trading one. Our biggest hole in the lineup is lack of defensive depth, so ideally we'd be looking for a quantity for quality type of move or something along the line of it. We're not exactly in an hurry to fix what could be seen as embarrassment of riches, but depending on the offer it could improve the team long and short term.

Brodie / Giordano - Hamilton
X - X
Kulak / Jokipakka - Wideman
Engelland

We need to fill the Xs. One of them has to be expansion-exempt or valuable enough to be fine with the absolute certainty of losing the other.

I would love to get Brodie on the Rangers because I know he can play the right side, although I don't think we'd be willing to pay what it'd take. Nor do we have the assets necessary unless you like Brady Skjei or Ryan Graves a lot(I personally like Graves and think he has decent potential).

McDonagh - Brodie would be pretty dirty though.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Brodie isn't going anywhere.

Giordano might be had for a top four defenseman, a top six right winger and a decent pick or prospect.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
Brodie isn't going anywhere due to age and need. Giordano is more likely to be moved but still unlikely.

Why do we need more D? We already know which 3 we are protecting for the expansion draft. A top 6 winger is more likely

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gio is the moveable asset. That being said, I doubt the Cap gets moved. Rather have both.

If Gio moves, we have a major hole to fill. I can really only think of a couple young guys in the league who could really fix that hole he leaves behind.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Brodie is untouchable.

Giordano's age make's him stand out compared to the rest of the team but he's still our captain. Someone would have to overpay. Seems unlikely.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
"Why would we trade our 1D"

Read the OP.

We would trade Brodie because we would believe the deal help us. Buyers will pay for what they want. Give more options and you're more likely to get an offer you like.

Last edited:

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011

Read the OP.

We would trade Brodie because we would believe the deal help us. Buyers will pay for what they want. Give more options and you're more likely to get an offer you like.

I understand the idea of depth but you don't trade your top pairing D's to get them. Darryl Sutter is no longer our GM

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

Read the OP.

Except that it wouldn't really help us. We would need an insane haul for it to, especially when our second best d is aging, Hamilton will probably become an offensive 2, and we still have no depth without trying to project where our prospects might go.

I am all for trading Gio, I've believed Brodie makes him seem better (he's still a hell of a d) and he would get us good pieces. But Brodie fits the age, is arguably more valuable to us than Gaudreau, and currently has a great contract. Short of receiving another young franchise player, it'd never work for us.

Also, Brodie shoots left, that does not inherently make him a left d. I don't agree with splitting our top 3 guys across pairings, especially since Brodie is much, much better on the right side.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Neither will be dealt. Trading one of them just creates a hole in the defense again. It's why they went and acquired Hamilton.

Brodie is the last guy the Flames would trade. I'd move Gaudreau before I'd move Brodie.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think the potential return you could get for a cost controlled Brodie outweighs keeping him at this point. We have several defense prospects knocking on the door, and I rather like Kevin and want to keep him at the draft.

Brodie to the red wings for Mantha + Brendan Smith + Svechnikov

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I know the Flames won't trade him, but Brodie is exactly what the Leafs need for their defense... A young vet that can play extremely well defensively while still putting up good offensive numbers and pairing him with Morgan Rielly would be fantastic.

I thought about putting an offer out, but there's nothing that each fanbase will agree on. The Leafs would probably look to make a package around JVR + Gardiner for Brodie + capdump whereas Flame fans would ask for one of the big 3 rookies/Rielly. No deal, just wanted to say that Brodie is exactly the type of defenseman the Leafs need/are looking for IMO.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Trade Brodie :nod:.

I despise the Flames, but absolutely love Brodie. He's the Flames best player in my view, no way you guys trade him. But if you do, move him East.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think the potential return you could get for a cost controlled Brodie outweighs keeping him at this point. We have several defense prospects knocking on the door, and I rather like Kevin and want to keep him at the draft.

Two forward prospects and a bottom pair d for a giant hole in our d now and going forward?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Brodie is worth way more than that. Doubt they do a quality for quantity deal.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I know the Flames won't trade him, but Brodie is exactly what the Leafs need for their defense... A young vet that can play extremely well defensively while still putting up good offensive numbers and pairing him with Morgan Rielly would be fantastic.

I thought about putting an offer out, but there's nothing that each fanbase will agree on. The Leafs would probably look to make a package around JVR + Gardiner for Brodie + capdump whereas Flame fans would ask for one of the big 3 rookies/Rielly. No deal, just wanted to say that Brodie is exactly the type of defenseman the Leafs need/are looking for IMO.

Honestly JVR+ Gardiner as a base isn't awful. I think we'd still need a + though

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Our whole d is terrible right now. 10 games doesn't make Brodie a crap player.

I like Jokki but he's a top 4 d, not a number one and he doesn't play right side or put up points.

If we are going to trade Brodie it's for young impact players, not prospects.

JVR isn't getting younger, he's older than Brodie and Gardiner I think is the same age as Brodie. Not to mention the two of them cost twice as much as Brodie cost wise.

All in all, we would move Gio first. He's not dropped off a cliff, has been bad like anyone else on Flames but still has a lot of value as a 1d, and we'd still need younger players, but wouldn't cost as much.

Neither will get traded anyway, but Brodie literally is the Flames when he's in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad