Value of: Brock Nelson & Kyle Palmieri

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'm just curious to start a valuation thread as the NYI season is off to a rocky start (3-3-2, 1 RW in 8, shut out in 3), our only notable signing in Duclair is out a little while, and Roy and Lou seem to be on shaky ground based on signings/call-ups recently.

If the NYI are selling by TDL, Palmieri and Nelson have to go imo. They're on expiring deals and the NYI would be very smart to start a retool in earnest if they're sellers by TDL.

That said, they can go separately, but if a team wants to package for both to put them over the top I look at the Palmieri+Zajac trade from '21 as a comparable. If you recall the return was a first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick and prospects AJ Greer and Mason Jobst.

Curious what the valuation of these two players could fetch if packaged together, but discourse on either player separately is encouraged.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They can get more for Brock. He’ll go for a 1st, prospect and young roster player easily. However, I’m dumping Wahlstrom before Palmieri honestly.

Reactions: Fatass

icelander25

Oct 22, 2024
Yea I’d agree that Brock should be had for around the Horvat package but maybe a little lesser prospect. I’d definitely want a nhl player in the package back though that could at least play next year. I think Palmieri would probably go for a 2nd with retention. Idk why anybody’s mentioning Wahlstrom, he probably clears waivers lol

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don’t think trading as a package is feasible, you’re talking about 11 mil in cap and probably needing another team to help out? Just trade them separately, it’s less complicated and they should get decent value. If Nelson continues trending towards yet another 35 goal season it’s an easy first rounder plus and Palmieri is off to a solid start too.

Reactions: mattihp

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
You think that package is putting someone over the top?
Nelson is severely underrated. 69 points last year and 75 the year before that. And he only makes $6 million. At 50% retention, most playoff teams would be able to fit him in under the cap. So you get a damn good 2C at 3C money.

Palmieri scored 30 last year. Less valuable than Nelson imo but still a good piece.

If a team acquires both, it immediately stacks their top 9.

So yes, it would put a teams offence over the top. Over the top in general will depend on how the rest of the team is constructed, obviously.

Reactions: banks

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't see a package deal being worth it. You are severely limiting the teams that would be interested and have both the assets and cap space to take on both. The TDL assets that net the best return vis-a-vis their perceived value are ones that have the biggest range of potential suitors.

Nelson seems like a potential fit for Nashville if they have rebounded (looks like they already are to some degree) and "in the hunt" come February/TDL time period. Too many options suggested for them seem to either be bottom six centers, which they have already or wingers who occasionally can masquerade as centers. Nelson would be a viable short-term true top six center solution if available.

I'm not a Nashville fan so they may have their own opinions and cap hit would certainly be an issue as would be the idea of expenditure of higher end assets for what would almost assuredly be a rental only. But in terms of filling the gap that they have - it seems reasonable.

Reactions: NYI365

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They can get more for Brock. He’ll go for a 1st, prospect and young roster player easily. However, I’m dumping Wahlstrom before Palmieri honestly.
I'm assuming you mean top 9 with more potential young roster player, and at least a B tier prospect? That seems like a lot for UFA that turned 33. I think if they can get a 1st and a good prospect, or a 1st and a solid contributing player, that's a win. He's good player and any playoff team would gladly take him but I don't know how many can sign him going forward. I would trade them separately.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nelson is their best forward and arguably best player. He’d return a boatload. That guy is a hockey player.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad