Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The years is the issue, not necessarily the money. This team continuously pays has beens into their 30s. After taking a bridge deal, there's no way his agent lets him take a five year contract. It'll be right up to his UFA years (MAYBE one) or it's gonna be the full eight.

Which team doesn't continuously pay guys into their 30s? There's obviously a difference between a contract that ends when a player is in his early 30s vs mid 30s vs late 30s.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Would someone here please be so kind to link me to that .gif of Brock and that "WTF?!" look on his face as he's turning his head back around after hearing something from a coach? I promise I have searched multiple threads and a lot of Twitter. :)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Would someone here please be so kind to link me to that .gif of Brock and that "WTF?!" look on his face as he's turning his head back around after hearing something from a coach? I promise I have searched multiple threads and a lot of Twitter. :)
No, but this one is strange

c9ab5591df2f02e846ba919a3904784074df461c.gifv

Reactions: F A N

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What do you say to a guy's agent when he starts asking for 7.5 million and you then tell him that his client just had the same even strength primary pts as Juho Lammikko and instead of playing with Motte Highmore and Chiasson he played with Miller Pettersson and Horvat?

Like where do you go with this in reality. And sure he's been better in the past but the best comps i can think of (Verhaege Toffoli Konecny Perron Saad Rackell) range in salary from 3.8m to 5.5m at the very top.

This is gonna get very personnel when the new regime lays this out and the agent doesn't have Jim Benning to work against and he's already making 5.9.

I'm not sure he's gonna want to take a haircut or be beat up in a hard negotiation to get to a real number that makes any sense for the club especially given his trending performance and lack of compete puck possession and foot speed.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
BB is on pace for 48 pts this season in a spoon-fed top 6 / PP1 role. Got to think the Canucks start the negotiations with an extension at his current cap hit of 5.87m... can't be talking a raise here.

Garland, also a winger, and the same age, and putting up very comparable numbers offensively (and much better defensively) is making 4.95m on a fresh contract...

Reactions: bh53

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Even at $5.5 I'd be shipping him out of town as moving him is the most obvious way to make this team faster and more competitive.
I think your right MS. Part of me still thinks he will return to rookie Brock Boeser hype, but that was 4 years ago and he hasnt come close to that. Granted his defensive play is underrated but I think many of us still wanna hold onto that rookie Brock Boeser hype that will probably will never happen. I dont think is worth it to go over $5 mill

Maybe some team like Philly or Ottawa think its possible and will cough up a solid defenseman or d prospect. Hopefully

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The real problem with trying to find a longer term deal is that if you want to take non-tendering him off the table, he is essentially guaranteed 2 years x 6.375MM at worst.

The team could take him to team-elected arbitration and have his salary reduced up to 15% (best case scenario: 6.375MM).

Now here's the problem: in team-elected arbitration the player gets to choose whether the award is 1 or 2 years. So, if he chooses 1 year, it's 1 year of 6.375MM, and then we have to again hand him a 6.375MM QO that walks him to UFA status. If he chooses two years, at best it's 2 years at 6.375MM and then he becomes a UFA.

The arbitrator could also award something greater than 6.375MM, and if that happens I guarantee you Boeser's camp takes the 2 year award all day if that happens.

To get back to negotiating with Boeser on lets say even a 3 or 4 year deal, if you're offering less than 6.375MM on those first two years, why should they accept that deal? Maybe if you're offering the long-term security, but that's probably the kind of deal we should be offering him at this stage.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks can win without Boeser.....he's the top trade candidate for the Canucks this off-season.

He'd fetch a first rounder, maybe in the bottom half of the draw, and maybe another young prospect or two.

Boeser seems like a quality teammate and a lock to score 20-30 goals a season. And if the Canucks weren't so 'capped out', they might be talking about re-upping him. But the reality they just can't afford him.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The arbitrator could also award something greater than 6.375MM, and if that happens I guarantee you Boeser's camp takes the 2 year award all day if that happens.
Not how it works. The party against whom the arbitration is filed-- in this case, it would be the player-- must choose the 1-year or 2-year term prior to the arbitration hearing.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I think your right MS. Part of me still thinks he will return to rookie Brock Boeser hype, but that was 4 years ago and he hasnt come close to that. Granted his defensive play is underrated but I think many of us still wanna hold onto that rookie Brock Boeser hype that will probably will never happen. I dont think is worth it to go over $5 mill

Maybe some team like Philly or Ottawa think its possible and will cough up a solid defenseman or d prospect. Hopefully
Wasn't BB our best forward last year? Or was it the year prior? Can't remember anything these days haha

If we can't get a 1st and a good prospect back for him, I would just try to sign him to a team friendly deal. He doesn't have too much leverage the way he has been playing recently.

Needs to work on his skating and at least be average speed wise though.

Reactions: mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad