Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No. Just Brock Boeser

Is calling me Appolo from CDC a good thing? Is he as stylish and deep as me? Its been several years Im starting to forget the characters there

I know you're young, but it's pretty tacky to ask questions when you know the answer will only make you look good and others bad.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Surprised to see McDavid isnt in the top 11 for rush goals. Probably the greatest rush scorer of all time and is having a good season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good to see ya M2B. Assuming Petey and Huggy get contracts this summer that everyone is happy with, Brock's extension next year will be cushioned by the Luongo $3.3m turd finally flushing down the toilet.

The toilet will still be clogged with Holtby and Halak's turds though.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Good to see ya M2B. Assuming Petey and Huggy get contracts this summer that everyone is happy with, Brock's extension next year will be cushioned by the Luongo $3.3m turd finally flushing down the toilet.
Holtby buyout plus Halak bonus will account for an even greater level of turd for goalies not on the roster - $3.4m vs $3.03m

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fiala signed for 1 year, $5.1M AAV (Edit Still RFA). Obviously that has no bearing on the price of Boeser's extension.

Flames fan seem super concerned about Tkachuk's qualifying offer and their ability to extend him. We haven't had much time to think of Boeser lately with Petey and Hughes contract up for negotiations.

Is Boeser worth $7M+ (top 10 RW money or top 20 winger money)? Buchnevich got $5.8M. Landeskog $7M. Kreider got $6.5M recently.

The Canucks don't have much cap room left if Petey and Hughes take up all of the team's remaining cap.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Fiala signed for 1 year, $5.1M AAV that takes him to UFA. Obviously that has no bearing on the price of Boeser's extension.

Flames fan seem super concerned about Tkachuk's qualifying offer and their ability to extend him. We haven't had much time to think of Boeser lately with Petey and Hughes contract up for negotiations.

Is Boeser worth $7M+ (top 10 RW money or top 20 winger money)? Buchnevich got $5.8M. Landeskog $7M. Kreider got $6.5M recently.

The Canucks don't have much cap room left if Petey and Hughes take up all of the team's remaining cap.

Fiala is still an RFA at the expiry of his contract, I'm pretty sure.

I think Boeser has two years left of RFA after his current contract. I think an 8 year deal makes the most sense for both sides, it gives Boeser his security and also allows us to keep the cap hit reasonable:

Year 1: 5.5mil
Year 2: 6mil
Year 3: 8mil
Year 4: 8mil
Year 5: 8mil
Year 6: 7mil
Year 7: 7mil
Year 8: 7mil

Average cap hit: 7.06mil

I think something in that range makes a lot of sense.

Boeser is not the best defensive forward, and he is injury prone, so if those two points can be used to lower the average then that's even better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think Boeser has two years left of RFA after his current contract. I think an 8 year deal makes the most sense for both sides, it gives Boeser his security and also allows us to keep the cap hit reasonable:

Boeser is not the best defensive forward, and he is injury prone, so if those two points can be used to lower the average then that's even better.

Oh you're right. He's still an RFA. But Fiala could have gone to arbitration and elected a 2 year deal.

You want to give Boeser an 8 year deal?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Oh you're right. He's still an RFA. But Fiala could have gone to arbitration and elected a 2 year deal.

I wouldn’t mind it, it takes him to age 34. If we have his contract expire at age 32 then we have to worry about resigning him towards the end of his prime.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn’t mind it, it takes him to age 34. If we have his contract expire at age 32 then we have to worry about resigning him towards the end of his prime.

Doesn't it take him to 33? An 8 year extension would mean he is 32-33 in the last year of his deal.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Doesn't it take him to 33? An 8 year extension would mean he is 32-33 in the last year of his deal.

Ya so 34 in his first year of UFA I guess it would be. So by then you’d think he’d be through his prime years and cheaper to re-sign, or we let him walk, whatever. Signing players until 30/31 is obviously more dangerous as many players are good until that age, but sharply decline in the years to come. I’ll gamble a year or two on Boeser, beats a 6 year contract at age 30 which is what it would probably take to re-sign him if he were still playing well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Deleted - you're right, I'm wrong.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ya so 34 in his first year of UFA I guess it would be. So by then you’d think he’d be through his prime years and cheaper to re-sign, or we let him walk, whatever. Signing players until 30/31 is obviously more dangerous as many players are good until that age, but sharply decline in the years to come. I’ll gamble a year or two on Boeser, beats a 6 year contract at age 30 which is what it would probably take to re-sign him if he were still playing well.

Honestly with Boeser it seems risky to me. There are times when he looks like an elite level sniper (which tends to age well), and there have been times when (perhaps due to injuries) he's struggled. Boeser isn't the quickest to begin with so any sort of slowdown and he could be looking at a steep decline. I rather do a shorter term contract (4-6 years) and worry about signing him later.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fiala is 3 years from UFA status, he was 24 on July 1st of this year.

The team would have had the option of 1 year vs 2 year in arbitration, I believe.

He has played 5 NHL seasons.

It would be Fiala's option to elect the number of years.

Reactions: m9

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Honestly with Boeser it seems risky to me. There are times when he looks like an elite level sniper (which tends to age well), and there have been times when (perhaps due to injuries) he's struggled. Boeser isn't the quickest to begin with so any sort of slowdown and he could be looking at a steep decline. I rather do a shorter term contract (4-6 years) and worry about signing him later.

I hear ya, and definitely agree that there is more risk with Boeser. But if we go 4 years, which takes him to basically 30, he will likely be looking for a 6 year deal at that point and will still be good enough to get it. Whether we lose him at that age as a UFA, or we sign him to a terrible contract, there will be more risk associated with that decision. I'd rather just lock him up through age 33.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Based on his comps, 6-7 million is probably where he should be. Higher AAV the more years it is. Guentzel's 5x6 is the low end comparable.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

So 8x7, I would sign that as fast as possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad