Proposal: Brock Boeser for Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
idk why people think Boeser is going to end up with a 7.5M + cap hit. Yes his QO is 7.5M, doesn't mean he signs for that. Boeser is not a 7.5M player. If he and his agent want a long term deal, he's looking closer to 6-6.75M max. If he refuses, the Canucks would take him to arbitration. He likely is to get the minimum possible at that point which is 6.375M. So does he want a 1 yr 6.375M deal and bet he can go back to being a 60+ point pace player so he can make around 7.5M long term or avoid the risk he repeats his current season and drops his value below the 6.5M long term he prob gets offered.

Can't he just take the QO and then skedaddle?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Technically yes, but the Canucks would still have a year to negotiate a long term deal, or trade him. Then he is a UFA after the next season.

Boeser would be betting pretty big in himself at that point. 30g/60p wingers don't tend to cash in.

Last offseason
Buchnevich 5.8
Bjorkstrand 5.4
Mantha 5.7

I'd take any of these guys over Boeser.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Thank you for this post. I hope everyone who refers to BB's QO read and understand this. He gets 7.5 for 1 season, then he gets what he gets long term. Nobody in their right mind is paying him 7.5+ long term. Do people also think Timo Meier is getting 10+ long term due to his QO?

But, No chance the Isles move Dobson for Boeser. Canucks would have to add for sure.
But it also means that if he doesn't get a LT contract he likes (like 8years X7M$ for exemple) he has NO REASOn to sign LT, he can just wait for his QO and then hit the UFA market, or hit UFA market right away if the Nucks decide not to qualify him, and then probably get a 7X 6.5M$ deal LT on the UFA market.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
But it also means that if he doesn't get a LT contract he likes (like 8years X7M$ for exemple) he has NO REASOn to sign LT, he can just wait for his QO and then hit the UFA market, or hit UFA market right away if the Nucks decide not to qualify him, and then probably get a 7X 6.5M$ deal LT on the UFA market.

I agree with what you are saying here. From the big picture, If 6 or 7 years x 6.5 is a fair deal this offseason, which I think it is, Boeser is far better signing that and hitting UFA at 31 or 32. The alternative is to take the QO, hit UFA the year after, and still probably get the same deal anyway. For 1 mill, you are taking a pretty big risk, betting on your health, the health of the UFA market, as well as the performance during your QO season. Declining a 35-40 mill deal to gain an extra 1 mill is not a move I'd ever make.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
To my knowledge boeser can avoid team elected arbitration and take his 1 yr 7.5M QO but he would be in the exact same position next off-season. I believe he has 2 years before he is a UFA. So if he doesn’t want a long term deal around 6.5-6.75M, and takes his QO (since there’s no way an arbitrator gives him 7.5 or more), he’s back in the same situation next off-season. Except if he goes at a 50-60 point pace again his offer is going to drop t0 5.5-6M long term.

IMO if I’m boeser and I’m willing to sign for 7.25M long term and the team offers me 6.75M long term. I’d take it.

Reactions: Forge

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I agree with what you are saying here. From the big picture, If 6 or 7 years x 6.5 is a fair deal this offseason, which I think it is, Boeser is far better signing that and hitting UFA at 31 or 32. The alternative is to take the QO, hit UFA the year after, and still probably get the same deal anyway. For 1 mill, you are taking a pretty big risk, betting on your health, the health of the UFA market, as well as the performance during your QO season. Declining a 35-40 mill deal to gain an extra 1 mill is not a move I'd ever make.
You've said it yourself, he'd get a 6.75M$ X 7 years on te UFA market easilly.

Why not hit the market ASAP, and possibly cash in on another BIG pay day (probably north of 7M$ as the UFA market will be slim on 30 + goal scorer under 30YO)

It's like the Meier case. If he doesn't like the amount thrown at him (and I bet you he wont't take anything under 7M$ on a LT deal right now as he has no reason to do so), he'll take his QO, head to the UFA market @ 26/27, and cash in big time. Player holds all the cards, and GM is negociating from a weaker spot. Therefore you aren't getting a good deal, impossible.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Why not hit the market ASAP, and possibly cash in on another BIG pay day (probably north of 7M$ as the UFA market will be slim on 30 + goal scorer under 30YO)

It's like the Meier case. If he doesn't like the amount thrown at him (and I bet you he wont't take anything under 7M$ on a LT deal right now as he has no reason to do so), he'll take his QO, head to the UFA market @ 26/27, and cash in big time. Player holds all the cards, and GM is negociating from a weaker spot. Therefore you aren't getting a good deal, impossible.

You are assuming that GM's will be lining up to massively overpay Boeser, after next year when the league wide cap crunch is a full year worse. Based on what? Look at the teams right now that have any cap, then look at who they need to re sign this year.

He has barely earned his 5.9 mill deal, why is he automatically going to "cash in big time" if he hits UFA? He has 12 goals and 12 assists in 40 games. No GM is going t o be tripping over themselves to throw giant bags of money his way.

Take a look at what comparable RFA wingers have signed for long term. Look at what UFA wingers are getting long term. Boeser is what he is, a 30/30/60 type winger, those guys don't get paid 7.5+ long term.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Theres risk involved. He's just had a his worst season to date, if he doesnt go back to his previous standards, his offers dip from 6.5-7M long term to 6M long term. is 1 year making an extra 750k worth risking losing 750k for the next 7-8 years?

Reactions: BCNate

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Dobson is 2 years younger than Adam Fox. If you watch him nightly, he's starting to do things we saw Fox starting to do 2 years ago. Players like that don't get traded, unless for a star.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Except in order to bring a guy to arbitration you need to qualify him 1st.

Ans Boeser would just sign his QO
Even then, okay he gets a 1yr 7.5M deal. I believe he is still a RFA next year. If he has another 50-60 point season, that just validates even 6.5M long term may be a bit high to offer. If he goes back to being 70+ point pace or actually doing it, he’ll be worth 7-7.5M long term.

Is risking losing out on 250k-750k for the next 7-8 years by signing for 6.5-6.75M now vs holding out for next offseason for 7.25-7.5M worth risking having another 50-60 point season and seeing his value drop to 5.5-6M long term while he wants and hopes to get 6.5-6.75M now.

Personally I don’t think the risk is worth it. If boeser didn’t have a bad season to date and was still on pace for 40 goals 70 points, I would ideally not want him above 7M. I’d settle for 7.25M and keep him. 7.5M long term id probably still sign him but at that point he’d be on the trade block for me. Given his bad year, I wouldnt want to give him a cent higher than 6.5M. I’d settle at most for 6.75M and if he isn’t on a 70+ point pace 15-20 games into the season I look to dump him asap

Nov 1, 2011
Yep, the time to get Dobson was last offseason (for Boeser).

Would the Isles do it for Horvat instead (I know my fellow Canucks fans might not like this).

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yep, the time to get Dobson was last offseason (for Boeser).

Would the Isles do it for Horvat instead (I know my fellow Canucks fans might not like this).
Isles would probably have to think about it if the offer was Pettersson at this point. Dobson’s potential has always been completely through the roof and he’s been their best defenseman the second half of the season.

Nov 1, 2011
Isles would probably have to think about it if the offer was Pettersson at this point. Dobson’s potential has always been completely through the roof and he’s been their best defenseman the second half of the season.

I guess the question is would they trade Barzal for Dobson?

Thought about it. The Canucks have a solid #1 centre (Miller) and a solid #2 (Horvat)...our #1 RD is Myers. I'd trade Petey for Dobson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad