GDT: Broadway vs Raleighwood, game 3 7pm, TNT

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Also, I know it’s not going to happen, but I’m hoping against all hope that we see DeAngelo scratched next game. He’s got no interest in playing the game. His singular focus appears to be to “get back” at the Rangers organization and his play follows suit.
Really? I’d scratch burns before I scratched TDA. At least TDA is showing some kinda fight rest of the team is soft

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I decided to continue my current re-watch of futurama to take my mind off what just happened.

The next episode was Jurassic bark. Nothing but pain for me tonight.

Everyone talks about Jurassic Bark, and fair enough, it’s a sad episode. But Game of Tones overtook it as the saddest Futurama episode, IMO. But since it was from a later season, not as many have seen it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Rangers have a great mix of skill, toughness, balance between forwards and defense, and great goaltending but most of all….chemistry.

We have a mix of good pieces that don’t really mesh well enough together when it matters the most….which is now. We money puck a lot of pieces which makes for great cap management but we see the leaks in the ship here in the playoffs.

We got great deals on our goaltending. Anderson’s rep was that he’s always hurt and not good enough in the playoffs….check. Raanta is great as a backup when he’s healthy but he’s never healthy. Check. Koochie is fun but he’s not fully developed and we don’t really know what his high end is. Great for a backup but he makes some oopsies and you can’t have them in the playoffs - but you can’t let him rot for a few weeks and expect perfection when you finally put him in.

Letting Tro go was fine if we have a replacement. We didn’t, we don’t and it absolutely matters. These lines don’t have shape and that’s playing a huge part as we have three third or fourth line centers and a fresh out of rehab Kuzy. That was never going to cut it.

Their pp has real chemistry and their best players are almost always their best players game in game out.

Svech was a beast tonight. Expecting him to do it by himself the way he does it is an unfair expectation.

We showed heart coming back, or at least Svech willed us to OT. Not all bad but it doesn’t feel like we’re the team that comes back from 3-0. At this point it’s hard to argue against a rep of being a paper tiger. This “era” of the Canes is ending with a whimper. Maybe that’s needed to make the next step?
yep, worst mistake we made was thinking we were the smartest guy in the room as far as Tro goes. IIRC it wasn't even money, it was the term that we weren't willing to give him. We shelled out for KK to extend instead and he has not worked out at all in that regard. He's not a bad player but he's a #3 and that's all he'll ever top out as, at least here.

It's possible that Kuzy, working with our staff in the off-season, recommits himself physically and bounces back to be the #2 we need next season. But that's going to be too late. Pesce's gone, Skjei is about to get PAID by not us, and Nikishin is still another full season away, those are two MASSIVE holes that I don't know how we're going to fill shy of Columbus being drunk as f*** and filling one of them for us in a Provorov for KK trade. The only other option there is Jarvis or Necas, either of which we need to try.

We're going to have a couple of mid seasons before the next window opens. Playoffs, almost certainly (because this division sucks) but not contenders to the same extent we have been the last 4 years.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
This

It's worth mentioning that he's 0-7 against coaches he played for the last 2 years. Maybe he's not anywhere near as good as we think he is
Maybe it’s not that he’s bad but the guys who taught him how to do it know exactly what he’s going to do. He’s said lots of times how much he learned from and wants his coaching style to emulate laviolette, and there’s no way Maurice wouldn’t have at least some knowledge of how his mind works just from all the time they spent together

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Everyone talks about Jurassic Bark, and fair enough, it’s a sad episode. But Game of Tones overtook it as the saddest Futurama episode, IMO. But since it was from a later season, not as many have seen it.
For me, Luck of the Fryish hits the hardest, especially now that I have nephews. Game of Tones is right up there too, though.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Really? I’d scratch burns before I scratched TDA. At least TDA is showing some kinda fight rest of the team is soft

TDA is being a pest. Good for him. But it’s clearly not working, and pests are usually more effective when your team is actually winning games. When they’re on the losing end, those antics just wind up looking foolish.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You never know in the NHL. Washington broke through the year after a very disappointing 2nd round loss to Pittsburgh and an exodus of players with name value (Williams, Alzner, Shattenkirk, Johansson) in 2017. Florida shook off a sweep to Tampa in 2022 to go to the Finals the next years.
I often think of that Washington team. Like you say when they seemingly took a step back for a season for a regroup that ended up being the right mix. No reason it can’t happen for us.

My honest opinion is the same it’s been for the whole time we’ve been under Rod. We never had a strong enough core to go all the way, just enough to be in the playoffs every year which in of itself is success. We had to add significant pieces to make that core enough. We’ve had some great pieces but never that cohesive unit like the Rangers have found with their top group. Guentzel staying a few years would give us that first line, but that’s just one step as I think we need a more obvious second line which imo is non existent today. The defense is going to be reshaped whether we like it or not. Goaltending is still a question though we’ll have the same guys next year.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I often think of that Washington team. Like you say when they seemingly took a step back for a season for a regroup that ended up being the right mix. No reason it can’t happen for us.

My honest opinion is the same it’s been for the whole time we’ve been under Rod. We never had a strong enough core to go all the way, just enough to be in the playoffs every year which in of itself is success. We had to add significant pieces to make that core enough. We’ve had some great pieces but never that cohesive unit like the Rangers have found with their top group. Guentzel staying a few years would give us that first line, but that’s just one step as I think we need a more obvious second line which imo is non existent today. The defense is going to be reshaped whether we like it or not. Goaltending is still a question though we’ll have the same guys next year.
Kooch has gotta be the guy going forward and if he isn’t then you need to go find a true number 1

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
yep, worst mistake we made was thinking we were the smartest guy in the room as far as Tro goes. IIRC it wasn't even money, it was the term that we weren't willing to give him. We shelled out for KK to extend instead and he has not worked out at all in that regard. He's not a bad player but he's a #3 and that's all he'll ever top out as, at least here.

It's possible that Kuzy, working with our staff in the off-season, recommits himself physically and bounces back to be the #2 we need next season. But that's going to be too late. Pesce's gone, Skjei is about to get PAID by not us, and Nikishin is still another full season away, those are two MASSIVE holes that I don't know how we're going to fill shy of Columbus being drunk as f*** and filling one of them for us in a Provorov for KK trade. The only other option there is Jarvis or Necas, either of which we need to try.

We're going to have a couple of mid seasons before the next window opens. Playoffs, almost certainly (because this division sucks) but not contenders to the same extent we have been the last 4 years.

Honestly, I don’t think our defense will be in as bad of a shape as it seems. Even if we let both Pesce and Skjei go, I’d feel comfortable moving Orlov and Chatfield into that 2nd pairing slot with no issue. Then we sign a bottom pairing bruiser in the off-season and use a rookie D as the 6th and we’re set.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Painful and true. All of that.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Honestly, I don’t think our defense will be in as bad of a shape as it seems. Even if we let both Pesce and Skjei go, I’d feel comfortable moving Orlov and Chatfield into that 2nd pairing slot with no issue. Then we sign a bottom pairing bruiser in the off-season and use a rookie D as the 6th and we’re set.
Really hope they find a way to keep Chatfield

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kooch has gotta be the guy going forward and if he isn’t then you need to go find a true number 1
I don’t disagree but that’ll take some juggling with Anderson signed for another year if we need to go find someone. That may be a year after next fix. I agree with Dave in that we may be in store for a couple of mid years. Or like Big Daddy suggests taking a perceived step back could actually turn into a step forward.

The only real positive I see from all this is that change is coming no matter what. With what we have not being good enough some forced change can bring hope.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011

I'm terms of playing better than he did in the regular season.

He's stepped up his game huge

I don't think Aho and Svech have stepped up their game at all.

They're getting premium powerplay time and they both have less goals tha Noesen FFS

I don't really think that's clutch

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Really hope they find a way to keep Chatfield

Yeah, that’s a real question. Because obviously he’s due for a raise, and we’re not the only team that’s noticed his improved play. But if our priority is Jarvis and then Guenztal, we’re going to be pinching pennies to fill out the rest of the roster, Chatfield included.

Reactions: geehaad

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I'm terms of playing better than he did in the regular season.

He's stepped up his game huge

I don't think Aho and Svech have stepped up their game at all.

They're getting premium powerplay time and they both have less goals tha Noesen FFS

I don't really think that's clutch
Did you watch Svech at all tonight? I can’t take you serious with those takes

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
One of the better teams they’ve had in a while being pissed away. Three 30+ goal players, Svech on a 29 goal pace, two 24+ goal guys. The scoring talent is there.

These playoff lines make absolutely 0 sense to me. These aren’t even line combos that were used in the regular season. WTF is going on.

If loosing Jesper fing Fast is throwing that much of a monkey wrench into your lineup there’s some serious issues.
I really wish he'd take some ownership in his pressers.

Plus, all the babying of them even when they stink it up, don't show up on time because the game is at Noon or it's on National TV, or oh my gosh, they are 3 days off instead of 2 etc. I'd love to be able to float some of those excuses in my job. Where's the motivation to be any different if the coach gives ya a free pass?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad