LeBrun: Bringing in upper echelon goalie is "pretty big priority" for Leafs.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The way you normally get an upper-echelon goalie is to grow your own.

Woll. Hildeby. Petruzelli. Akhtiamov. Peksa. More draft picks and prospects.

I don't think there are many good shortcuts here.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I’ve said this before, but something like this is a fun idea, but obviously wouldn’t happen and neither guys would probably waive.

To Chicago, John Tavares retained at 20% and Toronto’s 7th
To Chicago, Jesper Boqvist and Boston’s 2025 7th
To Boston, John Tavares retained by Chicago at 50% and the rights to Edmundson
To Toronto, Linus Ullmark

Boston gets their first line center, Toronto gets their goalie, Chicago buys a player and a few draft picks for cap space for one year. Drama ensues.

Tavares - despite the huge boost of a high scoring linemate - barely outscored Boston's first and second line centres this season. It makes no sense that they would think Tavares would be any kind of upgrade to what they already have.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I would address the D corps and 2C/3C spots with the Marner trade and FA.

I roll the dice with Woll/Hildeby and resign M. Jones cheap.

Solid D and team structure could set Woll up nicely to go on a run - if he can stay healthy.

Can’t fix everything in one year. If Woll struggles, you use JT’s money the following year to grab a goalie.

Reactions: CanMerc

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The same topic year after year

No it isn't. Dubas was of the belief a cheap tandem goalie could get it done and that is what they went with every year since he moved off of Andersen in year 2.

No interest in Ullmark for me. Opposite of what we need, dude has never won a playoff series as the starter and has a career .887sv% and 3.59GAA in the post season. Don't care what his regular season stats are, he doesn't have it when it counts

Binner I am open to. Markstrom and Saros as well. I want a goalie I can at least have a realistic hope of keeping their form when the pressure is on. If Woll is healthy these goalies likely don't even play anyways.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Markstrom does make the most sense IMO; and personally, I can imagine that the relationship with Treliving would probably make him willing to waive.

You think a player would be willing to waive a no trade clause based on "the relationship" with a General Manager?

What is the relationship you think they have that would mean Markstrom would waive a no trade clause to be "managed" by him again?

Binner I am open to. Markstrom and Saros as well. I want a goalie I can at least have a realistic hope of keeping their form when the pressure is on. If Woll is healthy these goalies likely don't even play anyways.

Wait - if Woll is healthy he starts and Saros, Bennington and Markstrom take a seat on the bench?

Are you serious with this?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Goalie A: .911 2.45GAA
Goalie B: .911 2.90GAA
Goalie C: .933 1.78GAA

Who you taking?
Zero goalies had goalie C numbers in the league last year, save percentage or GAA.

Woll sneezes he gets injured, so not him obviously.

Edit: figured it out you took Woll’s 337 minutes of career playoff numbers.
So 5 1/2 games lol

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Zero goalies had goalie C numbers in the league last year, save percentage or GAA.

Woll sneezes he gets injured, so not him obviously.

Edit: figured it out you took Woll’s 337 minutes of career playoff numbers.
So 5 1/2 games lol

It's their career playoff stats. Woll's stats just in this Boston series are actually higher

This type of mentality is WHY the Leafs are liable to run it back as is.

Because they perform in the playoffs? I don't understand what you mean. Was it that Woll wasn't the best goalie in the series before he got hurt?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
It's their career playoff stats. Woll's stats just in this Boston series are actually higher

Because they perform in the playoffs? I don't understand what you mean. Was it that Woll wasn't the best goalie in the series before he got hurt?
Tell me you are willing to risk another year of Matthews prime, on another maybe in G.

If Woll is hands down better than these other options why do you need anyone else?

Reactions: dukeofjive

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Tell me you are willing to risk another year of Matthews prime, on another maybe in G.

If Woll is hands down better than these other options why do you need anyone else?

Because there are concerns about his injury proneness. He's had a major injury every season of his pro career. And when he was stealing the series for the Leafs, he ultimately sprained his back.

We need a goalie that if Woll is injury prone, can be our starter for a playoff series. We can do that because Woll is on his cheap contract sub 900k. But if Woll is healthy, he is our starter.

Ya that’s in my quote you posted, 5 1/2 games lol.

He has 7 GP

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Because there are concerns about his injury proneness. He's had a major injury every season of his pro career. And when he was stealing the series for the Leafs, he ultimately sprained his back.

We need a goalie that if Woll is injury prone, can be our starter for a playoff series. We can do that because Woll is on his cheap contract sub 900k. But if Woll is healthy, he is our starter.

He has 7 GP
Then ride with Woll, and invest in your D. You have a salary crunch and cannot afford to get a backup starter quality player.

If Leafs nation thinks they are going to get positive value on Marner or JT, you might as well keep them, there is a reason you want a shakeup in the core, and you will take a bath on moving those two IF they even decide to do the franchise a favor. Everyone in the league knows the Leafs are in a terrible position to demand value.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Then ride with Woll, and invest in your D. You have a salary crunch and cannot afford to get a backup starter quality player.

If Leafs nation thinks they are going to get positive value on Marner or JT, you might as well keep them, there is a reason you want a shakeup in the core, and you will take a bath on moving those two IF they even decide to do the franchise a favor. Everyone in the league knows the Leafs are in a terrible position to demand value.

Did you even read the concern is availability with Woll? He is cheap on a sub 900k contract, they can afford to spend on another goalie in the 5-6M range who they believe can be a starter if needed.

I think you are nuts to think they wouldn't get positive value on Marner. Marner has reached hyperbole levels on HF. Yearly 90+ point winger, plays special teams and is the Leafs best PKing forward, on top of having been a Selke finalist recently and his only flaw is the playoffs where he is still a career PPG player there.

He will go to another team, be a franchise player and likely figure out the playoffs outside of the Toronto spotlight. It has happened so many times, players wouldn't figure it out here in our pressure cooker but do as soon as they move on. Other teams know that.

Other teams are not as concerned with screwing over the Leafs as HF is. They want a prime aged franchise winger and they are competing with other clubs wanting the same.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did you even read the concern is availability with Woll? He is cheap on a sub 900k contract, they can afford to spend on another goalie in the 5-6M range who they believe can be a starter if needed.

I think you are nuts to think they wouldn't get positive value on Marner. Marner has reached hyperbole levels on HF. Yearly 90+ point winger, plays special teams and is the Leafs best PKing forward, on top of having been a Selke finalist recently and his only flaw is the playoffs where he is still a career PPG player there.

He will go to another team, be a franchise player and likely figure out the playoffs outside of the Toronto spotlight. It has happened so many times, players wouldn't figure it out here in our pressure cooker but do as soon as they move on. Other teams know that.

Other teams are not as concerned with screwing over the Leafs as HF is. They want a prime aged franchise winger and they are competing with other clubs wanting the same.
Marner has a NMC. So the teams that can bid on him will be limited since he could essentially choose his destination and say no to a bunch that might be willing to acquire him. It's similar to the Kessel situation and why the return from the Penguins wasn't "market value" for Kessel's actual skill.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

He has 7 GP
337 minutes, 5 1/2 games like I said.
4 total starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Marner has a NMC. So the teams that can bid on him will be limited since he could essentially choose his destination and say no to a bunch that might be willing to acquire him. It's similar to the Kessel situation and why the return from the Penguins wasn't "market value" for Kessel's actual skill.

Quite different to the Kessel situation. Kessel was seen as a cap dump at the time. Lots of term left. Only similarities might be the narrative of you don't win with that player. Marner is a positive value asset. It's also not an assistant GM (Dubas and Hunter) with 0 NHL experience negotiating the trade. They made that deal before they even hired Lou.

I am aware of Marner's trade protection, but he is up for a big contract and not locked into term. He has incentive to find a good fit as much as the Leafs do. He's not refusing to waive and coming back to a team and fanbase that doesn't want him in a contract year and expecting to be put in the best situations for his financial success.

337 minutes, 5 1/2 games like I said.
4 total starts.

IDK what is so hard to acknowledge his official stat line is 7GP with the stats I said. If he had poor stats in that span I bet you aren't in here downplaying the sample size.

• Haha

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Quite different to the Kessel situation. Kessel was seen as a cap dump at the time. Lots of term left. Only similarities might be the narrative of you don't win with that player. Marner is a positive value asset. It's also not an assistant GM (Dubas and Hunter) with 0 NHL experience negotiating the trade. They made that deal before they even hired Lou.

I am aware of Marner's trade protection, but he is up for a big contract and not locked into term. He has incentive to find a good fit as much as the Leafs do. He's not refusing to waive and coming back to a team and fanbase that doesn't want him in a contract year and expecting to be put in the best situations for his financial success.

IDK what is so hard to acknowledge his official stat line is 7GP with the stats I said. If he had poor stats in that span I bet you aren't in here downplaying the sample size.
337 minutes is official, as is 4 game starts, show me which part is wrong, since they’re not, not sure why you feel the need to correct it or even point that out.

Also why didn’t you mention 4 career GS in your player C option, or you knew that wouldn’t help your point..

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
This is a another prime reason, why his return will be low, he is not worth his contract now, he wants more money, plus you want a team to exchange positive assets for him, all the while knowing beforehand that they need to give him said contract. It is not at all as easy as you want to believe.

I think its likely that one of two options will occur, they take an absolute bath in the hopes they can sign FAs with his money that better accentuate the team needs, or they run it back and waste another prime AM year, with the hopes he simply walks for nothing and they can sign FAs to replace him.

I think its pretty funny how you think the rest of the league will simply do you a solid on a player that has bent over the organization for years and now has been scapegoated by the team., and must be moved, to a team and situation HE wants, or he walks for nothing.

They screwed themselves with all the terrible contracts and now will pay the consequences. One way or another.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He has 7 GP

Still not nearly enough

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No it isn't. Dubas was of the belief a cheap tandem goalie could get it done and that is what they went with every year since he moved off of Andersen in year 2.

No interest in Ullmark for me. Opposite of what we need, dude has never won a playoff series as the starter and has a career .887sv% and 3.59GAA in the post season. Don't care what his regular season stats are, he doesn't have it when it counts

Really? Because his cheap tandems featuring Murray, Samsonov, Mrazek, Campbell, Andersen were all quite expensive for what they were.. the only cheap one of that bunch was Campbell

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Really? Because his cheap tandems featuring Murray, Samsonov, Mrazek, Campbell, Andersen were all quite expensive for what they were.. the only cheap one of that bunch was Campbell

I mean, yes? He never spent more than 5-6M on his goaltending tandem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad