Brian Leetch Or Scott Niedermayer?

Who was the better defenseman?

• Total voters

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If you really want to win Stanley Cups, you take Jean-Guy Talbot.
It shouldn't be that hard to understand Niedermayer won at every level he ever played at. He always found a way to win. Leetch is probably the better player though.

You can go on and on about a passenger on Cup winners and being one of the best players on Cup winners like they're the same thing but..... they aren't.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Neidermayer was an excellent dmen, but he's a tier behind Leetch. They would have been an amazing pair if one of them was right handed.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Leetch..

Niedermayer was a bit better defensively but Leetch was a lot better offensively and was relied upon without anyone else like a Stevens or Pronger in his defense core.

Without disclosing age of the voters this is a flawed poll. How many of the table pounders here are over 50 and actually had something close to an adult's perception when they watched them?

Are you calling me old?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The law of averages says there has to be a guy like that out there on a team-based sport.

I don't buy your causal relationship.

The idea that there was something inherent in Brian Leetch's game that prevented him from winning additional Cups, unlike Scott Niedermayer, is silly.
Scott Niedermayer
Won World Junior Gold Medal
Won the Memorial Cup (Most Valuable Player as well)
Won World Championship
Won Olympic Gold twice
Won World Cup of Hockey
Won the Stanley Cup 4 times
Triple Gold Club member.

Probably a coincidence

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
For those of you who have not watched these two in their prime, it's like saying Erik Karlsson vs Drew Doughty. Take your pick.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Niedermayer. He was one of those type of defenseman that could eat up huge minutes and you might not notice him much - that’s always a good thing. A lot of what he did best didn’t show up on the scoresheet. Later on in his career, he added near-elite offensive production to his repertoire, on top of what already made him great.

Leech was a dynamic offensive defenseman. It’s flashy and impressive and exciting, but just not as effective at the position at the end of the day. A modern day equivalent would be a guy like Evan Bouchard - he might win a Norris eventually, maybe even a couple because of his incredible scoring, but I’ll never consider him the best overall defenseman, unless he seriously changes the way he plays the game or adds facets that he doesn’t currently have. And I say that as an Oilers fan.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Scott Niedermayer
Won World Junior Gold Medal
Won the Memorial Cup (Most Valuable Player as well)
Won World Championship
Won Olympic Gold twice
Won World Cup of Hockey
Won the Stanley Cup 4 times
Triple Gold Club member.

Probably a coincidence

Well there’s a pretty strong chance that half of those wouldn’t be there if he had been born in Texas.

Reactions: HolyHagelin and ESH

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
For those of you who have not watched these two in their prime, it's like saying Erik Karlsson vs Drew Doughty. Take your pick.

I dunno about that, I would say Leetch is a lot better defensively than Karlsson when he put it together after his first few years. In fact the place where Leetch lacks in comparison to Karlsson is his finish, and I think a ton of that would be closed if he got to use today's sticks.

Niedermayer gets a bit of the Toews treatment backlash, and is probably underrated on HF, but I think the world of Brian Leetch, to me he has as good a case as anyone to be the defenseman of the nineties and he would be so incredibly valuable if he played today the way top defensemen are expected to activate... Makar who?

Reactions: HolyHagelin

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Well there’s a pretty strong chance that half of those wouldn’t be there if he had been born in Texas.
Ya and if Leetch played goal, he wouldn’t have been as good. I listed straight up facts, you’ll hide behind anything to not have to admit Niedermayer was good. No idea why, but it’s clear that you are.

You now say it’s only because he was born in Canada that he was good, a lot of players didn’t make those teams, yet he did.

He was just a product of being lucky enough to be born here in Canada, then just happened to be lucky enough to make the team Canada roster, then he was just another scrub playing in the shadow of Stevens and Pronger.

I’d be willing to bet you think Brodeur was simply a product of a system rather than good too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ya and if Leetch played goal, he wouldn’t have been as good. I listed straight up facts, you’ll hide behind anything to not have to admit Niedermayer was good. No idea why, but it’s clear that you are.

You now say it’s only because he was born in Canada that he was good, a lot of players didn’t make those teams, yet he did.

He was just a product of being lucky enough to be born here in Canada, then just happened to be lucky enough to make the team Canada roster, then he was just another scrub playing in the shadow of Stevens and Pronger.

I’d be willing to bet you think Brodeur was simply a product of a system rather than good too.

Scott Niedermayer is a fine player but holding team-based accomplishments over another player, particularly those that are restricted by nationality, isn't helping your case. Otherwise, Anze Kopitar is going to have a hard time against virtually any Team Canada centre in the last 20 years.

I just don't buy this "if you want to win, pick Scott Niedermayer" argument that you keep peddling. Leetch is the superior player who played on worse teams for the most part. The implication by your statement that he somehow "can't win" as well as Niedermayer is a poor one.

If you want to start a "Scott Niedermayer won a lot of stuff" thread, I'm more than happy to support it.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Scott Niedermayer is a fine player but holding team-based accomplishments over another player, particularly those that are restricted by nationality, isn't helping your case. Otherwise, Anze Kopitar is going to have a hard time against virtually any Team Canada centre in the last 20 years.

I just don't buy this "if you want to win, pick Scott Niedermayer" argument that you keep peddling. Leetch is the superior player who played on worse teams for the most part. The implication by your statement that he somehow "can't win" as well as Niedermayer is a poor one.

If you want to start a "Scott Niedermayer won a lot of stuff" thread, I'm more than happy to support it.

Not to mention Leetch captained a Team USA that actually did beat Canada (including Niedermayer) in a best on best and was the Conn Smythe winner when the Rangers won the Cup so.. not buying the Niedermayer is more of a winner line..

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to mention Leetch captained a Team USA that actually did beat Canada (including Niedermayer) in a best on best and was the Conn Smythe winner when the Rangers won the Cup so.. not buying the Niedermayer is more of a winner line..

Yes, that 1996 team won 2 of 3, coming from behind.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
There has to be a generational divide in this thread.

Likely.. for a lot of the kids on hfboards now 2000 was apparently the stone ages where NHL players were still plumbers and whatever.

Then again, you may be a little biased too based on your name lol.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Typical HF strawman. Adding context means a player sucks apparently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad