Brian Boyle - is he a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Boyle for Benoit Pouliot.

Trade near bust for near bust. Pouliot has a higher ceiling than Boyle, but less chance of seeing the NHL, because he's playing top-6 minutes or nothing.

The Wild tried him on our grinding line, and it was just terrible to watch. Pouliot passes to Boogy. Boogy loses it. Pouliot gets pissed and skates towards the bench, other team goes back toward Wild net. Lemaire rails Pouliot for not trying. Cycle continues.

Personally, Pouliot and Kopitar could be something to see.

Wrong. You make it sound like its JL's fault. Pouliot has been moved around alot (as JL likes to do normally). He has played more on the 3rd line because he never worked on the 1st or 2nd. If he doesn't work on the top two lines, the only option is the 3rd line or 4th line. But his turnover numbers is terrible, so he gets sent down because he has not improved at all...

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
It's too early to call him a bust but he has to be more physical.
For all that talk that he isnt physical and doesnt use his body enough, 40 some odd hits on 20 games seems like alot for a non physical guy who doesnt use his size.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I am not a Bruins or LA fan. Krejci and Boyle are just not comparable. Krejci is younger, and a year more established than Boyle. The fact is Boyle will 25 at the end of the year - that is pretty freakin old for a prospect. For such a notable prospect to have not fully made the NHL over 5 years after his draft suggests he is in trouble.

Boyle may turn out to be a good NHL level player, but its highly unlikely he will ever do what Krejci is doing now.

Nor did anyone assume Krejci was a bust last year, seeing as few knew who he was.

I'm not saying Boyle is as good as Krejci, all I'm saying is it is stupid to count a guy out as being a bust based on age.

From 18-22 Boyle was in college, good on him for getting a degree. Situations have arised and he is laboring in the AHL at the moment. Next year he will have a chance to make LA. He's going to have to do what they want of him to usurp Handzus or Stoll from their spots. In all likelyhood, he will probably be moved unless he can adapt to playing wing.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Watching the bruins play the sharks yesterday, I couldn't help but compare Boyle to Joe Thornton.

Yeah, it's a reach but they both play a similar type of game.

I think that Boyle if given the chance could develop into a Thornton type of player.

Unfortunately, my guess is that the kings will not match any offer for Boyle when he's a RFA at the end of this year if the compensation is at least one first round pick.

LAX attack*

Watching the bruins play the sharks yesterday, I couldn't help but compare Boyle to Joe Thornton.

Yeah, it's a reach but they both play a similar type of game.

I think that Boyle if given the chance could develop into a Thornton type of player.

Unfortunately, my guess is that the kings will not match any offer for Boyle when he's a RFA at the end of this year if the compensation is at least one first round pick.

Minus the talent, vision, or balls...

Boyle lacks what's needed to be a great player. Another horrible pick by Dave Taylor is going to be flushed out the system

LAX attack*

If you only had a little common sense...

How?
What has Boyle done other than last year's call-up to suggest anything good?
He was totally invisible in his time this year...
He is given an oppurtunity to make the team, and he ruins it...

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
How?
What has Boyle done other than last year's call-up to suggest anything good?
He was totally invisible in his time this year...
He is given an oppurtunity to make the team, and he ruins it...

Well, why are you so quick to discount last year's numbers when Boyle put up very good numbers not just with the kings but with manchester as well?

Don't you realize that Boyle had 31 goals last year with the monarchs? And that's with him playing first 20 games or so on defense.

If anything, you should overlook this year's play of Boyle because Murray is primarily giving him 4th line checking duties and is playing limited minutes.

If Boyle were to play with one of top two lines consistently, he'll probably produce like he did last year.

It's pointless now as the kings are playing well but Boyle if given the chance will produce.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I'm not saying Boyle is as good as Krejci, all I'm saying is it is stupid to count a guy out as being a bust based on age.

From 18-22 Boyle was in college, good on him for getting a degree. Situations have arised and he is laboring in the AHL at the moment. Next year he will have a chance to make LA. He's going to have to do what they want of him to usurp Handzus or Stoll from their spots. In all likelyhood, he will probably be moved unless he can adapt to playing wing.

At what point do you call him a bust. He almost isn't even a prospect any more.

I think you have to label a guy a bust if he isn't a full time regular player in the NHL by 24 at the forward position. (Unless he has been playing over in Europe). D and goalies take longer to develop, but forwards should have an easier time make the transition. HE hasn't done that yet, and while LA has good depth, they are not a playoff team yet.. and he can't crack their line up. If he was top 6 material, he would have.

While he may have stayed in college for 4 years, if he was showing something special, LA would have tried to bring him out early. They didn't. He wasn't showing enough of what ever it was they wanted so he stayed for four years.

I can start putting together a list of forwards over the past couple of years that have come out early and forgone part of their college to play in the NHL. Boyes didn't and hasn't.

serratedmuffin

Oct 2, 2008
Lethbridge
Frenzy that is not correct. Two current calgary flames played four years of college and/or didn't get in the nhl until 25. David Moss is on pace for 24 goals and played 4 years of college, and 2 in the AHL. Eric Nystrom played 4 of college, 3 ahl seasons.

Time is running out for Boyle as younger players will be given the opportunity over him. Not over quite yet.

LAX attack*

Well, why are you so quick to discount last year's numbers when Boyle put up very good numbers not just with the kings but with manchester as well?

Don't you realize that Boyle had 31 goals last year with the monarchs? And that's with him playing first 20 games or so on defense.

If anything, you should overlook this year's play of Boyle because Murray is primarily giving him 4th line checking duties and is playing limited minutes.

If Boyle were to play with one of top two lines consistently, he'll probably produce like he did last year.

It's pointless now as the kings are playing well but Boyle if given the chance will produce.

A) thats the kind of role he's going to start his career out with. He won't just be given a 2nd line center spot like he was last year. He has to earn his ****

B) Minors mean nothing. Boyle has to make his game suitable for the NHL.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Frenzy that is not correct. Two current calgary flames played four years of college and/or didn't get in the nhl until 25. David Moss is on pace for 24 goals and played 4 years of college, and 2 in the AHL. Eric Nystrom played 4 of college, 3 ahl seasons.

Time is running out for Boyle as younger players will be given the opportunity over him. Not over quite yet.

I will give you Moss, but Nystrom broke into the NHL as a 24 year old - playing 43 games last season. (But he is more of a grinder). Boyle doesn't have the game to be a grinder.

Take someone like David Backes, Gerbe, or Oshie. All played a couple of years of College and made the jump.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I will give you Moss, but Nystrom broke into the NHL as a 24 year old - playing 43 games last season. (But he is more of a grinder). Boyle doesn't have the game to be a grinder.

Take someone like David Backes, Gerbe, or Oshie. All played a couple of years of College and made the jump.

I may be mistaken but wasn't it Boyle's choice to stay in College? Give him another year to prove if he can stay in the NHL. If he can't, then call him a bust all you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad