Brian Boyle - is he a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
His skating is sub-par.
For being as big as he is, his skating is fine. Not the fastest but far from the slowest. the boggest knock on his is his supposed lack if physicality. In 20 game this season hes got 43 hits.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Brian Boyle's biggest problem is figuring out what kind of player the 'best possible Brian Boyle' will be. He can be a physical force and an offensive threat. He doesn't have to fight, but it would be a good idea to go at it a couple of times anyway. IMO he needs to put the instructions of others behind, just go out and kick ass and let the chips fall where they may. The Kings should not give up on him yet.

LAX attack*

Brian Boyle's biggest problem is figuring out what kind of player the 'best possible Brian Boyle' will be. He can be a physical force and an offensive threat. He doesn't have to fight, but it would be a good idea to go at it a couple of times anyway. IMO he needs to put the instructions of others behind, just go out and kick ass and let the chips fall where they may. The Kings should not give up on him yet.

Kind of the opposite
if we let Brian Boyle play like he wanted, he would continue to be the big softy that he has shown himself to be
We need to make him a physical player.

topcat986*

Boyle Needs to be on the Wing in top 6 on a team or like Derrick Brassard is going to be a wasted talent. Brassard had call ups and was mis cast in a 3rd or 4th line role and you just do not do that ! You play the kid to what his role needs and should be on a team.

Wise move is LA deals him to a team like the leafs and acquires a need area back. Burke is not a stupid man and would play this kid in a role that uses the players strengths and doesn't cast him into a role that is misplaced.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think so, and for only one reason. LA fans seem to offer him in like every proposal they make. Shows that they think pretty highly of him huh?

Boyle is flirting with being a bust but he is not there yet.

The biggist reason that I think Boyle should be moved is because of his potential. He still has some value. Like others have said, LA does not seem to be the right place for him. I've scene him pull off amazingly slick moves in the NHL. He is not a banger, if anything his size should be used to shield people from the puck but I don't believe he will ever have a "hit everything in sight" mentality.

The sooner the Kings realize this, the better off everyone will be. Moving him now might be the best thing for him and the kings.

Playing 5 minutes a game isn't doing anything for his growth either.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Kind of the opposite
if we let Brian Boyle play like he wanted, he would continue to be the big softy that he has shown himself to be
We need to make him a physical player.

Why is it ok for Kopi, Handzus and Frolov to play soft but it's a crime if Boyle does?

If anything, I've seen more big hits out of Boyle than all three combined.

Don't get me wrong, I too want Boyle to play more physical but there seems to be bias of opinions when it comes to Boyle.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Boyle is flirting with being a bust but he is not there yet.

The biggist reason that I think Boyle should be moved is because of his potential. He still has some value. Like others have said, LA does not seem to be the right place for him. I've scene him pull off amazingly slick moves in the NHL. He is not a banger, if anything his size should be used to shield people from the puck but I don't believe he will ever have a "hit everything in sight" mentality.

The sooner the Kings realize this, the better off everyone will be. Moving him now might be the best thing for him and the kings.

Playing 5 minutes a game isn't doing anything for his growth either.

Totally agree with this. I don't think Boyle will ever be a guy that will crush people on the forecheck. He can use his size as an asset without trying to kill people, but for some reason the Kings can't get away from the fact that he's 6' 7".

I get it, it would be great to have that guy play with an edge too, but that's just not his demeanor. If he were only 6' 5" maybe the Kings would try to groom him into a more defensively sound Eric Daze or a Dave Andreychuk instead of an uber-Bertuzzi.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
The short of it is that mentally he is a skilled finesse player and physically he's a boogaard type beast. I think if he can compromise on both he should be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league.

Some of them were so convinced he would be better than Corey Perry, he has/had "potential".

I think this comparison is dead and Buried.

Yet you choose to bring it up?

LAX attack*

Why is it ok for Kopi, Handzus and Frolov to play soft but it's a crime if Boyle does?

If anything, I've seen more big hits out of Boyle than all three combined.

Don't get me wrong, I too want Boyle to play more physical but there seems to be bias of opinions when it comes to Boyle.

Because it's not about big hits

Handzus and Fro play incredibly tough in the corners. Both are very tough players

Kopi goes out and does that occasionally too

But Boyle plays like he's 5'10''

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I know that bigger players take longer to develop, but really the guy is 24 and still hasn't found a way to stick in the NHL.

There comes a point where you look and say... this is an AHL player.

IMO, he is a bust.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Boyle for Benoit Pouliot.

Trade near bust for near bust. Pouliot has a higher ceiling than Boyle, but less chance of seeing the NHL, because he's playing top-6 minutes or nothing.

The Wild tried him on our grinding line, and it was just terrible to watch. Pouliot passes to Boogy. Boogy loses it. Pouliot gets pissed and skates towards the bench, other team goes back toward Wild net. Lemaire rails Pouliot for not trying. Cycle continues.

Personally, Pouliot and Kopitar could be something to see.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I know that bigger players take longer to develop, but really the guy is 24 and still hasn't found a way to stick in the NHL.

There comes a point where you look and say... this is an AHL player.

IMO, he is a bust.

Considering he played four years of college hockey and only in his second full AHL season I'm not inclined to agree. Give him another year. D. Krejci(sp?) seems to be a bust too.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Boyle is NOT a bust regardless of what anyone says.

The problem necessarily isn't with Boyle but with the fact that Murray mandates that Boyle play a physical game or else!

And believe me, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Murray but to say that Boyle is a bust because he isn't the type of player Murray wants him to be, it's absolutely ludicrous.

If Boyle were to have the freedom to play his type of game which is similar to that of Penner, I have no doubt that Boyle would put up very good numbers.

Sometimes, being a 6'7 forward can be a disadvantage as you're expected to play a certain way.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Considering he played four years of college hockey and only in his second full AHL season I'm not inclined to agree. Give him another year. D. Krejci(sp?) seems to be a bust too.

Krejci and Boyle is not a comparison that is even plausible. Krejci left Junior, had one year of dominance in Provindence and the next year basically established himself as an NHL regular. This year he is an NHL star.

Boyle played out all his years at college, meaning you'd think the jump to pro would much easier for him than someone like Krejci (largely due to their seperate ages). Yet, he has failed to become a regular, let alone a PPG player at the NHL level. Add this to the fact that Boyle is going to be 25 at the end of year, an age where the majority of forward prospects have long since graduated to the NHL. Krejci will be 23 this year in comparison, and is already assuming the mantle of being a possible star.

Honestly you couldn't have made a worse comparison literally even if that was your real goal.

Boyle may not be a bust yet, but he is pretty damn close to being one.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Because it's not about big hits

Handzus and Fro play incredibly tough in the corners. Both are very tough players

Kopi goes out and does that occasionally too

But Boyle plays like he's 5'10''

Handzus, tough? Are you kidding me? Handzus plays a solid defensive game but I don't know how anyone could categorize him as a tough player.

Boyle is being stereotyped because of his size. If he were smaller, no one would question him.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Boyle and his lack of toughness last year when he had 4 goals and 1 assist and a +4 in 8 games.

Everybody loves to jump on the bandwagon.

Last year, the fans sabotaged Cammy and this year, people want to dump on Boyle.

It's silly.:shakehead

Brodie562

Oct 3, 2003
LBC
Visit site
Handzus, tough? Are you kidding me? Handzus plays a solid defensive game but I don't know how anyone could categorize him as a tough player.

Boyle is being stereotyped because of his size. If he were smaller, no one would question him.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Boyle and his lack of toughness last year when he had 4 goals and 1 assist and a +4 in 8 games.

Last year, the fans sabotaged Cammy and this year, people want to dump on Boyle.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

100% agree! I see Boyle's situation like that of Cammalleri's as well, where AM wanted this and this out of him and it wasn't till Crawford that Cammalleri had his big year. Thing with Boyle is that this is TM first year and is making a strong push for the playoffs (well compaired to previous season). He'll be here for awhile, that is why i would like to see Boyle traded. I'd love to send him back home to Boston, i want to see him do well and i don't think it'll happen here in LA.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

100% agree! I see Boyle's situation like that of Cammalleri's as well, where AM wanted this and this out of him and it wasn't till Crawford that Cammalleri had his big year. Thing with Boyle is that this is TM first year and is making a strong push for the playoffs (well compaired to previous season). He'll be here for awhile, that is why i would like to see Boyle traded. I'd love to send him back home to Boston, i want to see him do well and i don't think it'll happen here in LA.

Yeah, I totally agree.

And as much as I would hate for Boyle to be traded, under the circumstances, that just may be the best thing for both Boyle and the kings.

I just hope we get a fair value in return because I think Boyle's going to be a great player.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Im willing to call someone a bust as early as anyone. But lets keep in mind this guy was playing D for too long and requires time for adjustment. He just doesnt fit on LA's roster either. Given the contract situation, wont likely fit in near future. He s/b traded while he still has value.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Krejci and Boyle is not a comparison that is even plausible. Krejci left Junior, had one year of dominance in Provindence and the next year basically established himself as an NHL regular. This year he is an NHL star.

Boyle played out all his years at college, meaning you'd think the jump to pro would much easier for him than someone like Krejci (largely due to their seperate ages). Yet, he has failed to become a regular, let alone a PPG player at the NHL level. Add this to the fact that Boyle is going to be 25 at the end of year, an age where the majority of forward prospects have long since graduated to the NHL. Krejci will be 23 this year in comparison, and is already assuming the mantle of being a possible star.

Honestly you couldn't have made a worse comparison literally even if that was your real goal.

Boyle may not be a bust yet, but he is pretty damn close to being one.

I'm sorry, I must of hit a nerve. The point is that Krejci is 23 and playing his first full NHL season. Most HFBoarders probably considered him a bust because he wasn't a star by 20. So what if Boyle is taking longer, he was always a project and is still capable of NHL play. Whether it's with the Kings or not is still to be determined.

LAX attack*

You take a very naieve and simplistic way of viewing things

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I'm sorry, I must of hit a nerve. The point is that Krejci is 23 and playing his first full NHL season. Most HFBoarders probably considered him a bust because he wasn't a star by 20. So what if Boyle is taking longer, he was always a project and is still capable of NHL play. Whether it's with the Kings or not is still to be determined.

I am not a Bruins or LA fan. Krejci and Boyle are just not comparable. Krejci is younger, and a year more established than Boyle. The fact is Boyle will 25 at the end of the year - that is pretty freakin old for a prospect. For such a notable prospect to have not fully made the NHL over 5 years after his draft suggests he is in trouble.

Boyle may turn out to be a good NHL level player, but its highly unlikely he will ever do what Krejci is doing now.

Nor did anyone assume Krejci was a bust last year, seeing as few knew who he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad