Brian Boyle - is he a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a scouting report on Brian Boyle. I don't know too much about him, but I know he used to be considered a top prospect for the Kings.

I saw that he's had a rough year and is still playing the AHL team - what's the deal? Is he considered a bust?

I remember reading up about him a few years ago and some people on this board were very high on him. What's holding him back?

Sorry for all the questions.. I just don't get to see any AHL games or west coast games. Was curious about this guy..

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
LA wants him to be more of a 3rd/4th liner which I don't think really fits him well. When he was called up last year he played on the second line and scored 4 goals in 8 games. The one game where he played on a top line again with Frolov scored. Management and coaching wants him to be more physical and play more like his size. I have no doubt he will be in the NHL the question is just on which line and how much he contributes. Personally I thought last time he got sent down and came back up he played quite well and showed physicality every game. Murray even said after the one game its the best game he has seen him play, got sent down right after that though so who knows.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I think the situation in LA is not ideal for him. Kopitar, Stoll & Handzus are all better than him and not likely to lose their roles. Playing a 4th C is the likely future in LA. If thats the case, he will struggle. He needs to play a #2 C role.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
It isn't that the kings want Boyle to play 3rd or 4th line center but rather that Boyle utilized his checking and think defense first. The kings know what he can do offensively but they're just hoping other parts of his game will come true.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Boyle's a project, far from it. He was a project when they were playing him on defense down in manchester but Boyle is definitely not a project by any means. He just needs to play quality time with quality linemates. And in order to do that, he needs to focus on his shortcomings.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It isn't that the kings want Boyle to play 3rd or 4th line center but rather that Boyle utilized his checking and think defense first. The kings know what he can do offensively but they're just hoping other parts of his game will come true.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Boyle's a project, far from it. He was a project when they were playing him on defense down in manchester but Boyle is definitely not a project by any means. He just needs to play quality time with quality linemates. And in order to do that, he needs to focus on his shortcomings.

Some say there is a giant who can play both offense and defense...

Willard

Kings All The Way
Sep 15, 2004
Just Off Highway 1
He is definitely a special player. 6'7" with skill. He needs a more fully rounded game defensively and physically. If he ever figures how to use his size to greater advantage more consistently and put more bite into his game, the sky is the limit for him. That's the $64,000 question right now. He's not a bust (yet), because he has shown that he can play in the NHL, but he still needs his game to leverage the body he is blessed with into better success for himself.

To his credit, he has said the right things so far about his own development as he shuttles between Los Angeles & Manchester, and I think the Kings continue to have great material to work with here. The Kings have been patient with him, and that has yielded positive results with flashes of the great player he has the tools to become. Patience for at least another season should continue to be the Kings approach in this case.

Randall Graves*

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a scouting report on Brian Boyle. I don't know too much about him, but I know he used to be considered a top prospect for the Kings.

I saw that he's had a rough year and is still playing the AHL team - what's the deal? Is he considered a bust?

I remember reading up about him a few years ago and some people on this board were very high on him. What's holding him back?

Sorry for all the questions.. I just don't get to see any AHL games or west coast games. Was curious about this guy..
I've argued with some Kings fans for years.

Some of them were so convinced he would be better than Corey Perry, he has/had "potential".

I think this comparison is dead and Buried.

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
We've heard some of the positives already in this thread, about what he does do, but here are a few of the negatives.

BB skating is not NHL caliber. For a 6'7 guy, he moves great, but not against some of the speedsters that are in the NHL. He has problems playing both ends of the ice due to his lack of speed, which causes problems. His teammates have to leave their position to cover for him when he's out of position, which happens more often then most centerman. Some will say his -11 is because of the lines he's been playing on, but I believe thats more of a reflection of his poor skating.

The other issue with BB is that he takes shifts, if not whole games off too frequently. When compared to other younger players who have come up through the Kings organization the last few seasons, the guys who have stuck were the ones that would make a difference each shift. Whether it was a check, or a good breakout, or something in the offensive zone, those guys would make themselves noticed. Boyle can't seem to put it all together consistently.

The best thing for BB's career would be to get traded and get a fresh start on a new team. Things are not working out for him with the Kings, and they likely never will.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
I've argued with some Kings fans for years.

Some of them were so convinced he would be better than Corey Perry, he has/had "potential".

I think this comparison is dead and Buried.

For now, of course it is. Boyle might never pan out, that's a very real possibility. Maybe in a few years the discussion might have to be revived.

Should we dig up the old Frolov vs Chistov threads? :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He was drafted as a project and really still is. I'm not so sure his future is with the Kings at this point.

Randall Graves*

For now, of course it is. Boyle might never pan out, that's a very real possibility. Maybe in a few years the discussion might have to be revived.

Should we dig up the old Frolov vs Chistov threads? :sarcasm:
Go ahead and dig them up, atleast Chistov showed something his rookie year to justify it.

All Perry did was play very well in jr's, then in the NHL and some were still wanted to argue Boyle was a better pick

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Go ahead and dig them up, atleast Chistov showed something his rookie year to justify it.

All Perry did was play very well in jr's, then in the NHL and some were still wanted to argue Boyle was a better pick

Tell me what's the point of tauting LA fans ?? This thread is about Boyle, not Perry, so give us your thoughts about his play and potential. I'm interested about this thread and don't want it to become a bash fest. If you don't have anything more intelligent to say, I'd suggest you to take a hike.

LAX attack*

A player of Boyle's size must play physical, or more physical than he has in some of the games we've seen

if he does not, he will not reach 1/4 of his potential, no matter how skilled he is

Randall Graves*

Tell me what's the point of tauting LA fans ?? This thread is about Boyle, not Perry, so give us your thoughts about his play and potential. I'm interested about this thread and don't want it to become a bash fest. If you don't have anything more intelligent to say, I'd suggest you to take a hike.
Ok

In my opinion Boyle is another David Steckel

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Already showing a lot more then our friend Steckel did, but I get your point.

Way too early too early to call him a bust.....

Pretty much.

A guy of Boyle's size will keep getting second, third and fourth chances into his thirties if he never manages to put it together. Like Isbister or Winchester, big=good.

Randall Graves*

Steckel was a late 1st rounder in a bad draft who envisioned himself as a defensive forward. And now he's an effective NHL forward.

If you get beyond the size and draft position, Boyle ain't Steckel.
The comparison is not far off, look at the career paths

4 years in college, it took Steckel 3 years after college to be a regular, and it looks like it'll be the same case for Boyle.

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
He's a big softie and until he changes that, he wont make it past the 3rd line in the NHL. He scored a few goals in his stint last year and seemed promising, but yeah, with the center....'logjam' on the Kings, he's kind of relegated to the 3rd and 4th lines.

I thought playing on the 3rd and 4th lines would do him some good so that he'll be on the checking lines and finally start throwing the body around a bit and later bring that to the 2nd or 3rd line, but we'll see.

Chives

Sep 26, 2007
SC
I think so, and for only one reason. LA fans seem to offer him in like every proposal they make. Shows that they think pretty highly of him huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad