Brent Seabrook announces [LTIR] retirement

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Math has always been a weakness for me - does his cap hit stay on the books? Can the Hawks trade his contract to a team needing to reach the floor?

His cap hit goes on LTIR on the first day of the regular season. It will still be an anchor to make moves around in the off-season.

Yes, you can trade LTIR contracts.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
His cap hit goes on LTIR on the first day of the regular season. It will still be an anchor to make moves around in the off-season.

Yes, you can trade LTIR contracts.
Thanks!
What about the NMC? Would that prevent a move if he was on LTIR for the rest of the contract?

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Keith - Seabrook were a force for a long time in todays game. Great career and got too much criticism in his last years, his body was just done. He's 2 yrs younger than me and is already talking about a possible hip replacement in 10-20 yrs, if it's not possible to manage it, that's no joke.
Hope he's able to enjoy retirement without vicious health troubles.

Reactions: AzHawk

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Thanks!
What about the NMC? Would that prevent a move if he was on LTIR for the rest of the contract?

Yes, he could block a trade, but since any trade would be a purely paper transaction, I dont see why he would.

Reactions: Mike Jones

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
must be nice to be able to walk away from 3+ years of a 6.875 AAV cap hit with minimal repercussions.
You call paying out over 20M for nothing " zero repercussions"? Even if salary insurance is involved, do you think that the Hawks will get off without paying a huge financial penalty?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Hope his hips don't cause him problems in life. 36 might be old for The NHL but ... ugh... that's awfully young for hip surgeries. Good luck to him. Amazing player and career.
The 2003 draft is winding down. I'm getting sentimental in my dotage but that draft gave us so many top players spread across near every team and gave us so many great games that it's kinda sad when these guys ride off into the sunset. Bergeron doesn't age but there's only a few of them left still playing well.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Contracts will get paid out by insurance. Will NHL teams ever get smarter about term they give players? Unlikely. Even if the insurance company begin charging a higher premium for the coverage. We know how insurance companies operate. They won't have the NHL teams as clients if they are not making money from them. Seabrook is due $15.5 million for the final 3 additional years on his contract, plus what his is due this season.

So, it's a higher expense for the owners to pay which would impact the bottom line.
Your point about higher expenses for owners is valid, even though not all player contracts are insured. Insurance is not automatic, and there a great many uninsured contracts.

Uninsured player contracts are an even greater financial burden for the owners than the insured ones.

Despite that, I don't feel badly for the owners' expenses. They're in business and make their own business decisions on player contracts and everything else. They can weigh their own risks on each and every contract.

The comment to which I replied was that something needs to be done about LTIR, and I still completely disagree. It's necessary to protect both the team and the player in a collective-bargaining environment where player contracts are fully guaranteed.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Gonna save the LTIR talk for another thread.

But he had an amazing career. I think the Hawks should retire his number. Had credentials to get in the HHOF, but doubt he gets in anytime soon.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A legend for franchise who deserves to have his #7 hang from rafters

Cornerstone piece for 3 Cup teams

The OT goal in game 7 vs Wings is fondly remembered but lets not forget his other two OT winners in playoffs including in finals vs Bruins

Honestly I think this should be sticky worthy for a couple days

Seabrook was that caliber of player

Last edited:

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Pretty silly they dropped the rule in 2013 then.
CHI should have to sleep in the bed they made.
I don’t think you quite understand the purpose of cap recapture. Cap recapture was used to punish teams that signed players to front-loaded deals that they didn’t play out. The NHL limited the amount of front-loading and back-loading in the 2013 CBA. Thus, no need for cap recapture. Seabrook is also not retiring, just going on LTIR, so cap recapture wouldn’t come into play even if his contract qualified.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
You call paying out over 20M for nothing " zero repercussions"? Even if salary insurance is involved, do you think that the Hawks will get off without paying a huge financial penalty?
They were paying for nothing either way. He is a borderline NHLer at best at this point. At least now his salary isn't costing them cap space.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t think you quite understand the purpose of cap recapture. Cap recapture was used to punish teams that signed players to front-loaded deals that they didn’t play out. The NHL limited the amount of front-loading and back-loading in the 2013 CBA. Thus, no need for cap recapture. Seabrook is also not retiring, just going on LTIR, so cap recapture wouldn’t come into play even if his contract qualified.

FLA just went through it with Luongo.
So you're saying Seabrooks deal isn't front end loaded then?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Your point about higher expenses for owners is valid, even though not all player contracts are insured. Insurance is not automatic, and there a great many uninsured contracts.

Uninsured player contracts are an even greater financial burden for the owners than the insured ones.

Despite that, I don't feel badly for the owners' expenses. They're in business and make their own business decisions on player contracts and everything else. They can weigh their own risks on each and every contract.

The comment to which I replied was that something needs to be done about LTIR, and I still completely disagree. It's necessary to protect both the team and the player in a collective-bargaining environment where player contracts are fully guaranteed.
As long as insurance companies make money off the NHL this is how it will work. I believe 1 provider covers all nhl teams. So say they charge $3 mill in premiums for the year that is $93 mill. How many players are out the entire season like Kesler as an example? Then there is the second group of guys who tear an acl, broke a leg, separate a shoulder and insurance kicks in only game they land on IR for about half the season. So 6-8 week injuries are not covered.
At the end of the year if the insurance company makes money they will continue to cover the nhl and or charge a higher premium to get a better margin.

what I don’t like about LTIR is the ability of teams to trade that contract. Seems ridiculous that they ever allowed it. First one was Pronger to AZ in which you had powerful owner Snider and AZ the team that needed to hit the floor as cheaply as possible.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
A quality player once.

It's typically a shame to see how "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" tends to taint a players overall legacy, though our brains are built to make such judgments.

Seabrook was an important part of the impressive CHI rosters that dominated the post-season for years. The last contract was a naive signing, but here we are at LTIR anyway. How the CBA works out for some.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The league has to put in some kind of LTIR allowance per team. Every dollar after the allowance (say $5M aav for discussion sake) goes against the cap.

I am not saying that every LTIR is bogus, but you can't ignorethe fact that many teams they have benefited greatly from these deals. You get the productive years at an artificially low cap hit then, when it is time to pay the piper for that front loaded benefit, it is erased. Nothing but upside. There has to be some kind of check and balance here.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The fact this isn't stickied at the top of the page is a slap in the face to a key cog of the only cap era dynasty.

Reactions: Pez68

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
FLA just went through it with Luongo.
So you're saying Seabrooks deal isn't front end loaded then?
No, that’s not what I said. The NHL limited the amount of front-loading that teams could do, that way a player retiring before their contract was over would have to leave a significant amount of money on the table. This is the case with Seabrook’s contract.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No, that’s not what I said. The NHL limited the amount of front-loading that teams could do, that way a player retiring before their contract was over would have to leave a significant amount of money on the table. This is the case with Seabrook’s contract.

First 3 years of Seabrooks deal is basically half of the money owed in the 8 year deal.

27 of the 55 mil (9mil, 9mil, 9mil) in year 1 to 3

I get what you're saying but how different can it really be from 2013?
Theres tons of deal Id consider front end loaded.

Can we send you Bob then?
Keep him for a year and then do your magic LTIR thingy? :)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad