Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Sleepwalked half the season while his linemate put up an historic season. 1 goal in game 2, 5 shots in 3 playoff games so far, 0 last night. What’s up with Pointer?
Bro is off the scene. He got too accustomed to deferring to Kucherov he took out any creativity he had. He tried zone entry after zone entry only to curl back and have their defense wait on it and get closed down by the winger. He's not driving it deep. He passed off a slot shot last night to dipsy doodle a pass to Pinellas. Puck is still on its way.

He's been slightly less disappointing as Kuch. Not much.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Bro is off the scene. He got too accustomed to deferring to Kucherov he took out any creativity he had. He tried zone entry after zone entry only to curl back and have their defense wait on it and get closed down by the winger. He's not driving it deep. He passed off a slot shot last night to dipsy doodle a pass to Pinellas. Puck is still on its way.

He's been slightly less disappointing as Kuch. Not much.
I think he and Kuch need a trial separation. Point has become too reliant on 86

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I think he and Kuch need a trial separation. Point has become to reliant on 86
I wouldn't mind us resigning Stamkos and putting him with Kucherov while Point develops chemistry with Hagel and Cirelli or whoever is here. I'd like to see them split up. Seems like teams have adjusted after a few years to knowing their tendencies and what not. It should be a last resort or blender option to reunite them.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
I'd prefer a strong winger, be it Guentzel or whoever, doing the banging on Point's line. On the PP, it appears to me that teams have figured out his "bumper" position and have defended much better. I'm looking forward to see a new alignment(s) now that 91 is not on the left side.

Reactions: Outl4w

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd prefer a strong winger, be it Guentzel or whoever, doing the banging on Point's line. On the PP, it appears to me that teams have figured out his "bumper" position and have defended much better. I'm looking forward to see a new alignment(s) now that 91 is not on the left side.
Point's main thing on the PP, to my eye, are his zone entries. He has to be top 2 or 3 in the league at that, which I think has allowed Kucherov to became such a weapon, because he gets a lot more touches with the PP fully set up.

I also think the threat of Point in the bumper spot is valuable, because it opens up the other side of the ice, regardless who is there. However, if we don't find someone effective in that spot (Stamkos's spot) it wouldn't surprise me if we completely reconfigure. Because at that point if everyone just covers Point and keeps Kucherov to the outside, we will be in trouble.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Point's main thing on the PP, to my eye, are his zone entries. He has to be top 2 or 3 in the league at that, which I think has allowed Kucherov to became such a weapon, because he gets a lot more touches with the PP fully set up.

I also think the threat of Point in the bumper spot is valuable, because it opens up the other side of the ice, regardless who is there. However, if we don't find someone effective in that spot (Stamkos's spot) it wouldn't surprise me if we completely reconfigure. Because at that point if everyone just covers Point and keeps Kucherov to the outside, we will be in trouble.
There’s always the Hedman bomb from the point though.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Our PP was very static. If you look at other elite PPs (Rangers, Colorado, Edmonton) there is a lot of movement. Maybe Kucherov will now need to be all over the ice, not just on the right side.
The nice bonus with Guentzel coming in is he can be net front or net side to bang in dirty goals. He'll clean up rebounds from Point and Hedman shots, Kucherov will find Guentzel for tap ins as well

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Our PP was very static. If you look at other elite PPs (Rangers, Colorado, Edmonton) there is a lot of movement. Maybe Kucherov will now need to be all over the ice, not just on the right side.
It was static because Stamkos was stationary and Kucherov does his work with vision and not nearly the mobility of MacKinnon or McDavid. I don't think he's nearly as successful playing that style either. IIRC the Rangers play an umbrella with Zibanejad open for a one timer while Panarin loops on the right. They have a hybrid of both styles, though more traditional with Kreider down low. Colorado and Edmonton both rely on their best player to constantly put teams in a spin cycle - Kucherov doesn't play that style. This would be a first if he's put on the left and ranges from low to high. The only other time I can think of is 2015 where him and Drouin were interchangeable. He could probably do it because he's Kucherov, but you also takeaway arguably our best remaining shot by moving him to the left.

This is probably the most intriguing coaching aspect heading into this season because we've been a strong PP team for damn near a decade. There's a lot of different scenarios/looks but on paper and in game tendencies are different. My bet is Hagel and Guentzel both play PP1 with Guentzel as the shooter.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It was static because Stamkos was stationary and Kucherov does his work with vision and not nearly the mobility of MacKinnon or McDavid. I don't think he's nearly as successful playing that style either. IIRC the Rangers play an umbrella with Zibanejad open for a one timer while Panarin loops on the right. They have a hybrid of both styles, though more traditional with Kreider down low. Colorado and Edmonton both rely on their best player to constantly put teams in a spin cycle - Kucherov doesn't play that style. This would be a first if he's put on the left and ranges from low to high. The only other time I can think of is 2015 where him and Drouin were interchangeable. He could probably do it because he's Kucherov, but you also takeaway arguably our best remaining shot by moving him to the left.

This is probably the most intriguing coaching aspect heading into this season because we've been a strong PP team for damn near a decade. There's a lot of different scenarios/looks but on paper and in game tendencies are different. My bet is Hagel and Guentzel both play PP1 with Guentzel as the shooter.
The interesting thing is we have seen the PP without Stamkos at times, and it was still pretty deadly. I think that might have played a big part in the off season decisions. We might be able to add 20 or 30 goals 5v5 while not losing much on the pp

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The interesting thing is we have seen the PP without Stamkos at times, and it was still pretty deadly. I think that might have played a big part in the off season decisions. We might be able to add 20 or 30 goals 5v5 while not losing much on the pp
Without Stamkos on the PP, Kuch just takes it on himself to shoot more.
We will have a shooty Kuch this season, and I'm all for it

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Without Stamkos on the PP, Kuch just takes it on himself to shoot more.
We will have a shooty Kuch this season, and I'm all for it
Yup. He's the best in the league at controlling the rimmed pucks along the boards. We've seen him then take it to the top of the circle and let the wrister go. It's deadly.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Kucherov led the team in shots last season too. He's already been shooting a bunch more than the times when he'd always look for that extra pass.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov led the team in shots last season too. He's already been shooting a bunch more than the times when he'd always look for that extra pass.
Right. I think that's what made the PP extra deadly last year.

To me, as long as the guy in Stamkos's spot can move with the puck and make good decisions under pressure, we are good. I think the best guy we've ever seen there, aside from Stamkos, was Drouin. That year's pp just carved up other teams with movement.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Right. I think that's what made the PP extra deadly last year.

To me, as long as the guy in Stamkos's spot can move with the puck and make good decisions under pressure, we are good. I think the best guy we've ever seen there, aside from Stamkos, was Drouin. That year's pp just carved up other teams with movement.
Palat did very well during the 2020 run, too. Neither guy had exceptional shots but they have to be mobile. You essentially need the guy to loop and force back door looks for it to be effective if he's a lefty. One would think Guentzel is that guy and Hagel takes net front duties.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat did very well during the 2020 run, too. Neither guy had exceptional shots but they have to be mobile. You essentially need the guy to loop and force back door looks for it to be effective if he's a lefty. One would think Guentzel is that guy and Hagel takes net front duties.
Yeah, if nothing else, you knew Palat was gonna make good decisions. Forgot about him that year.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Why I wanted mantha to be the banger in the boards and net.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The seasons of a few guys are interesting to consider when you look back on common linemates and things they've done in the past, and it was kind of a reminder that as much hell as we gave Palat and Killer at times, they weren't just top nine guys, they had the ability to seemingly be whatever guy on whatever line you needed them to be. When you're stuck choosing supporting cast on lines and you're in a situation like now, where you tend to, I think, find one trick ponies (exceptional finisher, great passer, drives offense but problem defensively, etc) to fit different roles and holes, it gets messy and we have a season like last year.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
The seasons of a few guys are interesting to consider when you look back on common linemates and things they've done in the past, and it was kind of a reminder that as much hell as we gave Palat and Killer at times, they weren't just top nine guys, they had the ability to seemingly be whatever guy on whatever line you needed them to be. When you're stuck choosing supporting cast on lines and you're in a situation like now, where you tend to, I think, find one trick ponies (exceptional finisher, great passer, drives offense but problem defensively, etc) to fit different roles and holes, it gets messy and we have a season like last year.
Yeah. Hagel was a solid replacement for Palat. He's very much that mold but we don't really have any Swiss army knife kind of players that are able to play anywhere. Paul is kind of that type but he's better at the 3C position right now than slotted elsewhere. Lacking wingers, specifically RW options is hurting us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad