Bratt & J. Hughes or B.Tkachuk & Stutzle?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Bratt & J. Hughes

Votes: 156 59.3%
  • B.Tkachuk & Stutzle

Votes: 102 38.8%
  • Can't decide, flip a coin

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Hughes is going to cement himself further within the Matthews, Draisatl, etc tier of players next year.

"Further within" would suggest Hughes has ever been in the Matthews/Draisaitl tier of players...

... That's not to say he can't get there, but he's just not at that level yet.

Reactions: Video Nasty

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you're going to say he's a winner, he has to win. The burden of proof is on the people making that ridiculous claim.
I think using team based accomplishments to call a player anything is short sighted.

All we know is that Brady is a very productive hockey player who plays a competitive, hard nosed style that should help teams win hockey games.

Reactions: NyQuil

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Jack Hughes and whoever you add.
- Signed NYR fan.

Also, I take Brady over Tim, so to me it's Jack - Brady, and then Brat - Tim, which still doesn't matter because Jack is the best one here.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Hughes is the best player but I honestly think I'd value the gap between Tkachuk/Bratt more than the one between Hughes/Stutzle.

Not sure how many more times we need to see that the physical teams dominate in the playoffs.

Reactions: SENStastic and bert

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Jack Hughes is clearly the dealbreaker here, but he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Hughes is the best player but I honestly think I'd value the gap between Tkachuk/Bratt more than the one between Hughes/Stutzle.

Not sure how many more times we need to see that the physical teams dominate in the playoffs.
This is cyclical imo. Penguins, Blackhawks were two teams that dominated by relying on skill way more than physicality.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
"Further within" would suggest Hughes has ever been in the Matthews/Draisaitl tier of players...

... That's not to say he can't get there, but he's just not at that level yet.
When he's been healthy, he's absolutely shown to be that tier of player in the last 2 years.

Before his shoulder injury in early February 2023, he was:

1st in ES goals
1st in ES points among forwards
3rd in goals (2nd among centers)
7th in points (4th among centers)

Through those 50 games, he was pacing for 57 goals and 110 points. Then he hurt his shoulder, and returned only 2 weeks later, still obviously not near 100%. By the 6 week point, he had seemingly recovered, putting up another 18 points in his last 11 games.

At the start of last season, he was leading the league in scoring through 10 games before again getting injured. Unfortunately, he again returned early and was struggling the rest of the season with his injury, to the point where he was pulled from the roster for nearly the full month of January, and then again pulled for surgery the moment the Devils were effectively eliminated from the playoffs.

His pre-injury numbers from the last 2 seasons:
60gp 40 goals 87 points

That's a 55 goal, 119 point pace without the benefit of a McDavid or Marner.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Penguins and Blackhawks haven't won a Cup since 2017...
But Vegas and Colorado did getting outhit significantly along the way.

Cup finalists the last 4 years
Panthers +32, oilers -239
Panthers +24, Vegas -131
Avs -79, lightning -9
Lighting -28, canadiens +45

Overall the cup teams have been outhit by a combined 385 hits on route to the finals

What is hit differential?
Hits given vs hits taken.

The cup final teams from the last 4 years have been outhit by a combined 385 hits on their way to the finals.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Do you guys actually have a melnyk banner in the rafters? :laugh::laugh:

6314081290112-1024x576.jpg

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
how are you determining hit differential
Florida 300 more hits than Edmonton
yes, and edmonton made it to within 1 game of winning the finals despite taking 239 more hits than they gave.

in fact, just 5 of the last 17 cup winners have thrown more hits than they have taken in the playoffs.

The rest won the cup despite getting beat in physicality.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Nico + Meier/Bratt vs Stutzle + Tkachuk is a more fair comp tbh

Overall production last 2 years
Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 12.48.40 PM.png

Even Strength production last 2 years
Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 12.48.55 PM.png

On ice results last 2 years.
Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 12.49.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisch13r

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
yes, and edmonton made it to within 1 game of winning the finals despite taking 239 more hits than they gave.

in fact, just 5 of the last 17 cup winners have thrown more hits than they have taken in the playoffs.

The rest won the cup despite getting beat in physicality.
I agree with your point in general, but I think you need to take into account that teams that have the puck more tend to take more hits. Adjusting for possession would make your point stronger.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I agree with your point in general, but I think you need to take into account that teams that have the puck more tend to take more hits. Adjusting for possession would make your point stronger.
Jack makes this one simply not close.

Replace him with nico for a better debate

I 100% agree, teams that dominate possession take less hits. Which is why teams that dominate possession often do not need to be physically punishing to win

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
To me Jack is too good of a player to not pick him. I don't have a strong opinion of Bratt, so just looking at stats for him, but definitely going with the NJ pair. I have always felt Brady played hard and the right way but was ultimately overrated.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
That’s less than 10 years ago.

Right... It was 7 years ago. STL was physical as f***. Tampa got bounced the year they were a favorite and had to add grit before they could come back and go back to back. Vegas wasn't the most physical team and certainly wasn't more physical than Florida, but feasted due to Florida being beaten down by their own physicality. And then... Well, there was Florida.

Colorado the only one of the last 6 Cup winners that really just dominated because they were more skilled than any other team. You could argue Tampa, but Tampa, once again, failed until they added some physicality.

The general trend has been that the more physical teams do well.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Right... It was 7 years ago. STL was physical as f***. Tampa got bounced the year they were a favorite and had to add grit before they could come back and go back to back. Vegas wasn't the most physical team and certainly wasn't more physical than Florida, but feasted due to Florida being beaten down by their own physicality. And then... Well, there was Florida.

Colorado the only one of the last 6 Cup winners that really just dominated because they were more skilled than any other team. You could argue Tampa, but Tampa, once again, failed until they added some physicality.

The general trend has been that the more physical teams do well.
So in conclusion:

Vegas: not particularly physical: won cup
Colorado: not particuarly physical: won cup
Tampa: average physicality: won 2 cups

That's 4 of the last 5 cups won by teams that were nothing special physically.

Teams that aren't physical can very easily win cups. (12 of the last 17 teams to win the cup got outhit by their opponents in the playoffs)

• Haha
Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad