Bratt & J. Hughes or B.Tkachuk & Stutzle?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Bratt & J. Hughes

Votes: 156 59.3%
  • B.Tkachuk & Stutzle

Votes: 102 38.8%
  • Can't decide, flip a coin

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Tkachuk and Stutzle. Players you can win around. Hughes is excellent and Bratt is very good but they don’t strike me as “playoff guys” they’re soft perimeter stars.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Tkachuk and Stutzle. Players you can win around. Hughes is excellent and Bratt is very good but they don’t strike me as “playoff guys” they’re soft perimeter stars.
Yet Hughe's and Bratt pushed the Devils into the playoffs while those two haven't.

Everyone on this board thinks Stutzle is the king of diving and there were rumbling of Tkachuk wanting out of Ottawa. Doesn't sound like captain material.

Reactions: Realgud

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yet Hughe's and Bratt pushed the Devils into the playoffs while those two haven't.

Everyone on this board thinks Stutzle is the king of diving and there were rumbling of Tkachuk wanting out of Ottawa. Doesn't sound like captain material.
The senators suck. I’m saying for the Panthers those guys would be the ones I want to add.

Reactions: Xirik

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hughes tips it to the Devils for me. I just hope he can stay healthy. Was pretty disappointed in Timmy this year despite the points. There’s a world where Stutzle has a MacKinnon-esque breakthrough in which case this becomes a much harder question for me or even tilts to the Sens side. But I’m not sure that’s a given anymore.

Like many I’d select them:
Hughes
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Bratt

Reactions: PatrickMcC

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
As a devils fan, I think Stutzle is getting significantly underrated because he played through injury this year.
Jack also played through an injury for a large portion of the season and only stopped playing when the Devils weren't in the playoff race anymore.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Jack also played through an injury for a large portion of the season and only stopped playing when the Devils weren't in the playoff race anymore.
I was actually referring to his relative ratings vs Brady in this thread.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ah yes, noted winner Brady Tkachuk who captains a team that can't win 40 games.

x4kgscm5b33c1 (1).gif

Hughes is so much the best player of these four that it's an easy choice for me. Stutzle is a great player but Hughes has another gear. He's a future Hart Trophy winner.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Here are some production numbers over their last 2 seasons for context:

Hughes
140gp 70g 173p
1.13 5v5 g/60
2.45 5v5 p/60

Bratt
164gp 59g 156p
0.97 5v5 g/60
2.50 5v5 p/60

Stutzle
153 gp 57g 160p
0.82 5v5 g/60
2.27 5v5 p/60

Tkachuk
163gp 72g 157p
1.13 5v5 g/60
2.41 5v5 p/60

For me, I still think Hughes vs Stutzle is still a valid debate long term. Both guys struggled through injury last year and their numbers definitely suffered as a result. As prospects, I had Stutzle as >= Hughes for long term, but Hughes when healthy has surpassed my expectations and has proven more. But he also has some worrying injury concerns (moreso than Timmy), and lacks some of the power that Stutzle brings, which can be critical for centers IMO. It's currently Hughes > Stutzle but I think Stutzle has another level we haven't seen yet.

Similarly, I think Bratt vs Tkachuk is really tight. To me, it really comes down to what you need. Bratt is one of the best 5v5 play driving wingers around, and seems to make any line he's put on more productive, where as Brady might be the best all around PWF in the game. All else equal, I understand most people will take the bigger guy. I go back and forth, as guys who elevate their teammates like Bratt can is equally unique IMO. So for me, it's Bratt ~ Tkachuk.

If I were to rank them as a group, I would say:
Hughes > Stutzle > Tkachuk ~ Bratt

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ah yes, noted winner Brady Tkachuk who captains a team that can't win 40 games.
Hard to blame his team's lack of success on him. Yeah, he's the captain, but he's not the coach or the goalie.

The last 2 seasons at 5v5, the team is +4 with him on the ice, but -59 without him:

With Brady
124 GF 120 GA
+4 GD
+0.10 GD/60

Without Brady
190GF 249 GA
-59 GD
-0.67 GD/60

That's a 0.77 goal difference per 60 mins of 5v5 time.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hard to blame his team's lack of success on him. Yeah, he's the captain, but he's not the coach or the goalie.

The last 2 seasons at 5v5, the team is +4 with him on the ice, but -59 without him:

With Brady
124 GF 120 GA
+4 GD
+0.10 GD/60

Without Brady
190GF 249 GA
-59 GD
-0.67 GD/60

That's a 0.77 goal difference per 60 mins of 5v5 time.
If you're going to say he's a winner, he has to win. The burden of proof is on the people making that ridiculous claim.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The magical powers of a Captain in a team sport are one of the most eye-rolling tropes on HF.
Right up there with the magical powers of Brady Tkachuk #HITZ and #FIGHTS being somehow equivalent to him being a winning player.

Reactions: Realgud

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The magical powers of a Captain in a team sport are one of the most eye-rolling tropes on HF.
I agree with you. That's why I think it's odd that we always read that Brady is a "player you win with." What does that even mean?

You win with good players, and he certainly is that, but I think Hughes is the best player right now of the four.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree with you. That's why I think it's odd that we always read that Brady is a "player you win with." What does that even mean?

You win with good players, and he certainly is that, but I think Hughes is the best player right now of the four.

The only issue with Hughes is that the words “if he’s healthy” are included in virtually every post about him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only issue with Hughes is that the words “if he’s healthy” are included in virtually every post about him.
I don't think that's an unfair thing to say about Hughes, and maybe my vote changes if he's hurt another couple times.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
People marvel about how physical the playoffs can get and then conveniently forget weeks later every year.
People overrate physicality in the playoffs every year based on anecdotal evidence*

Playoff hockey is consistently won by teams who dominate possession, outshoot, and outchance their opponents, alongside some goaltending masterclasses.

Surely with all these injuries Hughes had he wouldn't have led ottawa in points last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad