Brashear gets the worst of it against the Bruise Brothers in the 1990s.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Brash won nearly every fight from the fall of 1996 right up until Belak KO'd him in 09. He had a habit of making himself look like a complete disgrace from time to time though, like his turtling acts against Domi and Parker, taking a clear dive against McGrattan, and his final fight against Kocur posted above. It's clear that even though Kocur was over the hill and in his final season, Brash was still terrified of taking that last punch from him.

Also, even though he's easily top 10 all time (and I'd argue top 5), Brash had the dumbest looking pre-fight routine in the history of the game. Always looked like he was break dancing or something.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Brash won nearly every fight from the fall of 1996 right up until Belak KO'd him in 09. He had a habit of making himself look like a complete disgrace from time to time though, like his turtling acts against Domi and Parker, taking a clear dive against McGrattan, and his final fight against Kocur posted above. It's clear that even though Kocur was over the hill and in his final season, Brash was still terrified of taking that last punch from him.

Also, even though he's easily top 10 all time (and I'd argue top 5), Brash had the dumbest looking pre-fight routine in the history of the game. Always looked like he was break dancing or something.
Always hated him for the dive against McGrattan, and then ducking McGrattan for Neil.

Agree he's top 10 even though I hate him.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

There should be an asterisk there. Between ~96 and Belak he won or tied every fight with the reason being when he was up against better fighters he hugged for a tie.

Good fighter but I doubt I'd have him in my top-10.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
There should be an asterisk there. Between ~96 and Belak he won or tied every fight with the reason being when he was up against better fighters he hugged for a tie.

Good fighter but I doubt I'd have him in my top-10.
Have to disagree hobnobs. He beat Probert four times, wiped his butt with McSorley six times, ditto seven times with Orr, and basically ended Sandy McCarthy's career. His fight card is stacked. Only name missing from it that I can think of is Tony Twist.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Have to disagree hobnobs. He beat Probert four times, wiped his butt with McSorley six times, ditto seven times with Orr, and basically ended Sandy McCarthy's career. His fight card is stacked. Only name missing from it that I can think of is Tony Twist.
Outside of Orr all those wins came against guys well past their prime.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Outside of Orr all those wins came against guys well past their prime.
Brashear got the better of his series against nearly all of his contemporaries, including their prime years. You can hate the guy all you want, but you can't refute how good he was at his job. He wasn't a "hugger" either. He routinely outlanded his opponents by wide margins. A hugger is someone like Zack Stortini or Torrie Robertson.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Brashear got the better of his series against nearly all of his contemporaries, including their prime years. You can hate the guy all you want, but you can't refute how good he was at his job. He wasn't a "hugger" either. He routinely outlanded his opponents by wide margins. A hugger is someone like Zack Stortini or Torrie Robertson.
He absolutely was a hugger. He outlanded opponents by throwing his nuggy punches while hugging them

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
He absolutely was a hugger. He outlanded opponents by throwing his nuggy punches while hugging them
He was a smart fighter. Gave a lot more punches than he received and routinely embarrassed his opponents. He did what he had to do to win, which is a great approach.

I hated him for years because he single handedly punked the entire Rangers team over and over again and there was nothing they could do about it. Every time they'd get goons specifically to stand up to him, he would just beat those guys up. Purinton, McCarthy, Oliwa, Orr....it didn't matter who they were. It got so bad that 37 year old Brendan Shanahan had to try and fight him, and that worked out about as well as you would expect.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, Brashear was definitely a hugger, lol.

He would bring you in as close as he could, especially if you were a threat and noogie the hell out of you.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
He’d hug you and throw noogies for sure but only because it would force you to want to change your tactic and position….and once you did he was so strong from that position he could toss around guys that were his size.

Boring style if you wanted him to be the stand back and trade punches type of fighter…but he was smart and found a way that made him near unbeatable.

He was also a jerk…but still, even though his style was not what we were used to (or necessarily entertaining) he was a beast for a long time.

It’s funny how often people rip on him for his style though…when other guys get a pass for their ‘style’ that made them effective.

Probert made a living off of coming out of his jersey. It’s mentioned a fraction of the time that Brashear’s style is.

I think Brashear just was such an a55hole and beat the tar out of so many fans favorite teams toughguys people can’t let it go.

But, yes, Probert’s style was definitely funner to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad