Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
With the Ottawa Senators signing Matthew Andonovski (Kitchener Rangers) I wonder what the chance is of the Bulldogs acquiring him this season.

Andlauer and Staios clearly like keeping the ties between Bulldogs and Sens, which makes sense. They got Hamara from Kitchener last year, who’s a Sens prospect. He was a huge asset to the Bulldogs and the Sens had a hand in his development. Currently Ryan Humphrey, Lucas Moore, and David Egorov are all development camp invites in Ottawa (probably to give them some exposure even if they aren’t signed). Even Andrew Campbell has moved to the AHL Senators, which that role now needs to be filled in Brantford. The Bulldogs/Senators connections are interesting, but I wonder about Andonovski being a trade target, depending on the price and him being available.

Reactions: Helvigster

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
With the Ottawa Senators signing Matthew Andonovski (Kitchener Rangers) I wonder what the chance is of the Bulldogs acquiring him this season.

Andlauer and Staios clearly like keeping the ties between Bulldogs and Sens, which makes sense. They got Hamara from Kitchener last year, who’s a Sens prospect. He was a huge asset to the Bulldogs and the Sens had a hand in his development. Currently Ryan Humphrey, Lucas Moore, and David Egorov are all development camp invites in Ottawa (probably to give them some exposure even if they aren’t signed). Even Andrew Campbell has moved to the AHL Senators, which that role now needs to be filled in Brantford. The Bulldogs/Senators connections are interesting, but I wonder about Andonovski being a trade target, depending on the price and him being available.
Trading history between the Kitchener and Hamilton/Brantford as well. Also management connections. Ando plays a style that the Brantford coaching staff seems to value. Kitchener needs picks and Ando will be available, although likely closer to the deadline as they need him to give the new guys some room to get acclimatized to the O. Wouldn't shock me if some preliminary discussions have already happened.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Trading history between the Kitchener and Hamilton/Brantford as well. Also management connections. Ando plays a style that the Brantford coaching staff seems to value. Kitchener needs picks and Ando will be available, although likely closer to the deadline as they need him to give the new guys some room to get acclimatized to the O. Wouldn't shock me if some preliminary discussions have already happened.
Everything you said makes total sense. He’d be a good addition, especially with our defence being thin and since (I assume) the Bulldogs plan to make a run this year. Having Andonovski would be a great addition.

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
Do you think Brantford will swing big this year in the trade market?? Is this a "go for it" year?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
That would be my guess. It will be interesting to see who our OAs are and who gets sent back from training camps in September because we’re going to lose decent players no matter what. Xhekaj, Thomas, Bujold, Lavoie, Rebelo, Hamara (signed), Okitundu.

Unfortunately I don’t see Rebelo and Okitundo returning because of who the Bulldogs will likely be able to keep.

Our biggest needs are a goalie and both top pairing D.

Meanwhile our core forwards are Lardis, Vanacker, and O’Brien.

Reactions: Rounder8

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

The last 2 times you guys have gotten d men from Kitchener it worked out pretty well- why not roll the dice a 3rd time here. xhekaj was a HUGE part of the Hamilton team, Hamara was a big part of your team last year as well. You have no shortage of picks I think you’d be able to get it done.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The last 2 times you guys have gotten d men from Kitchener it worked out pretty well- why not roll the dice a 3rd time here. xhekaj was a HUGE part of the Hamilton team, Hamara was a big part of your team last year as well. You have no shortage of picks I think you’d be able to get it done.
No doubt Andonovski would fit into Bulldog plans. But be prepared to pay for him. Rangers got lowballed on the Hamara return and it won’t happen with Ando.

As one of the better D in the OHL last year, he’ll walk right onto just about any team’s top pairing next year. Great defensively. Tough as nails. Mean but knows where the line is. Smart when it comes to being on the wrong end of a bad trade off. Can put up a few points. Definite leader.

Poor man’s Arbor Xhekaj maybe.

Jorian Donovan return would be my price for this player.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Poor man’s Arbor Xhekaj maybe.

Jorian Donovan return would be my price for this player.
Xhekaj went for mutter, 2 2nds, 2 3rds and a conditional 4th.

Donovan went for 2 2nds, 4 3rds, and 2 4ths

If Andonovski is a poor man’s xhekaj then wouldn’t it make sense for him to go less than what xhekaj did? Let alone donovan?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Xhekaj went for mutter, 2 2nds, 2 3rds and a conditional 4th.

Donovan went for 2 2nds, 4 3rds, and 2 4ths

If Andonovski is a poor man’s xhekaj then wouldn’t it make sense for him to go less than what xhekaj did? Let alone donovan?
Xhekaj was an OA. Andonovski is 19. That will definitely impact his value. Probably somewhere in the middle of those two players makes sense. The way Andonovski plays the game isn't as common as it used to be so that may increase his value to a degree if the market warrants it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Xhekaj was an OA. Andonovski is 19. That will definitely impact his value. Probably somewhere in the middle of those two players makes sense. The way Andonovski plays the game isn't as common as it used to be so that may increase his value to a degree if the market warrants it.
Ando won’t be back for an OA season though. But I get what you mean value wise in the sense where ando wouldn’t take up an OA spot

Regardless one of the most underrated players in the whole OHL for sure

Reactions: Rounder8

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

Nick Lardis has become one of my personal favourite non-Rangers in this league. I'd love to see Rehkopf on a line with this guy. I could also envision a potent power play with these same two, along with "up-and-comer" O-Brien.

As far as picks go, what do the Bulldogs have in the draft cupboard for a Rehkopf and / or Andonovski deal? I know EvenSteven would wisely point out that separate deals would be best (from a Ranger POV), but just curious. Would be nice to get these guys into the East so Kitchener wouldn't have to play against them :) .

The Bulldogs had a great debut last season in Brantford. This type of acquisition would keep the ball rolling IMO.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
brantford has 10-2nds, 8-3rds, and 5-4ths. They should be very interested in Andonovski, and Leenders if available to them.

Reactions: Gondrex

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
That would be my guess. It will be interesting to see who our OAs are and who gets sent back from training camps in September because we’re going to lose decent players no matter what. Xhekaj, Thomas, Bujold, Lavoie, Rebelo, Hamara (signed), Okitundu.

Unfortunately I don’t see Rebelo and Okitundo returning because of who the Bulldogs will likely be able to keep.

Our biggest needs are a goalie and both top pairing D.

Meanwhile our core forwards are Lardis, Vanacker, and O’Brien.
I think Brantford has the potential to win the Eastern Conference title. Many are saying that Oshawa is the favourite but I disagree. While they have a good defence and great goaltender in Jacob Oster they have no scoring depth at forward. They do not have the assets to make the needed trades to be a contender. I think the Bulldogs need to add an offensive centre, a couple of defencemen and a goaltender to be a contender. They have the assets to make these trades.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Brampton will be tough after todays trade.

It makes the chances of going after an Andonovski more plausible for the Bulldogs.

Don’t be surprised if they end up with leenders
Would love this, but why would Brampton help the Bulldogs with what I believe is an area of serious need for them?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
He'll be moved. My guess is at the deadline. Carter George is definitely a person of interest for them too I would think.
I'd be shocked if George was moved this year. Not saying it can't happen but I would think it's highly unlikely. I think Owen Sound takes the year to evaluate what they have to decide on whether or not they can contend around George's 19 year old season and very likely final season in the OHL before making any decisions on moving Carter George.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad