Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
At what cap hit?

I’m guess in Leafs fans take Marner, Sens fans take Brady, but I guess we’ll see

Can't think of a more insecure fanbase than the Sens. Just enjoy Brady Tkachuk.
Injured fan base.

We had Melnyk and Dorion. It will take time to heal.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Can't think of a more insecure fanbase than the Sens.

1729533784927.gif

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Brady Tkachuk has a sub 40% xGoals share so far this year and ottawa is generating a pitiful 1.28xgoals/60 while he's on the ice 5v5.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is the first time I've heard of this comparison.

Started in September. Last post was just over two weeks ago.

Oh wait you aren’t OP. Were you being sarcastic? I may have whooshed here.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brady Tkachuk has a sub 40% xGoals share so far this year and ottawa is generating a pitiful 1.28xgoals/60 while he's on the ice 5v5.

What does this mean when comparing the two over the last 169 games instead of 5?

3.4 xGF, 55.79% xGF% for Brady Tkachuk.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If you were making a team for 2024 wouldn't you want to use prior information as well?
I would, but then I would also highlight the massive point gap over that span as well.

Tkachuk is an excellent offensive play driver 5v5, but is not nearly as good a shooter, and is lightyears below as a PP weapon, and struggles defensively.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would, but then I would also highlight the massive point gap over that span as well.

Tkachuk is an excellent offensive play driver 5v5, but is not nearly as good a shooter, and is lightyears below as a PP weapon, and struggles defensively.

I don't know that I would say 25 points over that time span is massive but it is a gap. That's fair, I thought the xGF argument was a weird and cherry picked one. I'd add that Brady is a good shooter in his own right and a better goal scorer.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't know that I would say 25 points over that time span is massive but it is a gap. That's fair, I thought the xGF argument was a weird and cherry picked one. I'd add that Brady is a good shooter in his own right and a better goal scorer.
Brady Tkachuk has underperformed his chance quality (by a relatively significant margin) every year of his career. But maybe finisher is a better word than shooter.

Brady Tkachuk and a lot of the other sens top guys also have their point totals boosted by the fact that the sens play a very low disciplined game both ways. Ottawa has had more PP opportunities than any other team by a pretty sizeable margin over that time.

They also take a ton of penalties.

But PP goals for show up on the stat sheet of the players. PK goals allowed don't show up on anyone's stat sheet (unless you dig deep into their PK metrics) but the goalie.

Now, I do give credit to the sens who draw more than they take (Stutzle especially), but Marner and Tkachuk have fairly similar penalty differentials (+14 vs +16) over the time span you mentioned, so it doesn't give a major edge to tkachuk in these discussions.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Marner sucks in the playoffs (50 points in 57 games). Give me a playoff warrior like Brady Tkachuk instead (0 points in 0 games).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can't think of a more insecure fanbase than the Sens. Just enjoy Brady Tkachuk.
I’d say the habs, after all their chest thumping in the summer.
Or some of the posts on the mains a few games in, like is Reinhart the best player in the NHL now.

Didn’t we just have this thread?
We did, only differences was, other one said future.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Since you seem to like xG per 60 type stats.
Sens are third in the league in xGA/60 in another small sample size.
What do you think 5v5 xGoals metrics have to do with the fact that that ottawa's games have had more PP opportunities (both ways) than any other teams over the past 2 years?

PP goals go on players statsheets.

When you give one up on the PK it counts on nobody's statsheet (not even as a -) but the goalie.

Let's use an example

Ottawas PP over the last 2 years has 123 goals on 589 attempts (20.8%), and has given up 120 goals on 541 attempts

Vegas PP over the last 2 years has 93 goals on 459 attempts (22.8%), and has given up 88 goals on 408 attempts.

Now, even tho Vegas PP is more efficient, and overall is getting more benefit from their special teams, that is around 75-80 ish extra points distributed to the likes of Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Giroux, etc etc, inflating their stats.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What do you think 5v5 xGoals metrics have to do with the fact that that ottawa's games have had more PP opportunities (both ways) than any other teams over the past 2 years?

PP goals go on players statsheets.

When you give one up on the PK it counts on nobody's statsheet (not even as a -) but the goalie.

Let's use an example

Ottawas PP over the last 2 years has 123 goals on 589 attempts (20.8%), and has given up 120 goals on 541 attempts

Vegas PP over the last 2 years has 93 goals on 459 attempts (22.8%), and has given up 88 goals on 408 attempts.

Now, even tho Vegas PP is more efficient, and overall is getting more benefit from their special teams, that is around 75-80 ish extra points distributed to the likes of Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Giroux, etc etc, inflating their stats.

Well considering the initial post was about this year...
that the sens play a very low disciplined game both ways.

It was a counter to your original posts on this year only. But if you want to move the goalposts from what you were talking about earlier, go ahead.

It was a valid counter, being third in the league at xGA/60.
Not to mention that 5 on 5 is about 75% of every game. Nobody cares how Ottawas PP was 2 years ago and has zero to do with what you were talking about and what I replied to.
But since you’re concerned with it those PP goals place Ottawa 16th in the league.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Last thread on this that I remember was from two seasons ago, and I wanted to see if opinions had changed since. Apologies if there was a recent one, I didn't see it.
Here is the other one , started a month ago. Both are on page 1 of mains
Different voting options

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad