Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
You think a team with Mac, McDavid, Matthews, and Bedard would struggle to build around them?

There is no hope, your hockey knowledge is nonexistent.
Sure if there was not enough money left to build out the depth, goaltending and quality defence of course they would fail.
It totally a stupid way to build a team.

Some posters need to understand that the game is not played simply on the stat line……it’s played on the ice

You think a team with Mac, McDavid, Matthews, and Bedard would struggle to build around them?

There is no hope, your hockey knowledge is nonexistent.
You da man Kyle

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sure if there was not enough money left to build out the depth, goaltending and quality defence of course they would fail.
It totally a stupid way to build a team.

Some posters need to understand that the game is not played simply on the stat line……it’s played on the ice

You are complaining about cap allocation, that is not the ice, that is ...... "the stat line"

I gave an example of the same allocation across four other players, clearly that team could win a cup, they are the 3 best players and someone who may be top 5 in the coming years.

You are easing up on your argument that it is all about cap allocation... it is clearly about the players, and you seem to be coming around to this.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Who’s they? They’re the same poster. They use to never post in the same thread together and then someone called them out for that. Now they’re always in the same thread.
I’m not sure if they are the same poster. Dekes never resorts to personal insults when he is losing the argument but the other…….not so much

You are complaining about cap allocation, that is not the ice, that is ...... "the stat line"

I gave an example of the same allocation across four other players, clearly that team could win a cup, they are the 3 best players and someone who may be top 5 in the coming years.

You are easing up on your argument that it is all about cap allocation... it is clearly about the players, and you seem to be coming around to this.
So you really think they could build a team only on those 4 you mentioned. What about goal tending, defence and depth.
What you are claiming has never been done……ever

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
As far as cap being a stat line , wrong. It is a plan of how or how not to build a team

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Who’s they? They’re the same poster. They use to never post in the same thread together and then someone called them out for that. Now they’re always in the same thread.

We are the same person because we never posted in the same thread, and now we post in the same threads so this confirms it?

The logic is sound.

I like that you care enough about me to notice these things though.

A more likely situation is we share similar views to some extent (I know we don't agree on everything).

There are a handful of posters here who have the same caveman-like thinking, I assume they are all separate people that share similar views, it is the logical thing.

Carry on though, it is an interesting theory.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m not sure if they are the same poster. Dekes never resorts to personal insults when he is losing the argument but the other…….not so much

So you really think they could build a team only on those 4 you mentioned. What about goal tending, defence and depth.
It’s a persona they play.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Speaking the truth is not an insult.

Yes, and if someone thinks they can't they should not be discussing anything related to roster construction.

Sign 8 forwards to league min contracts to fill out the rest of the forward group and you still have the best forwards in the league.

Use the other 40-50 million, whatever it is on the other 8 roster spots you need.

As far as cap being a stat line , wrong. It is a plan of how or how not to build a team

What is a stat line? Because I never mentioned a stat here, the only stat that has been discussed is the cap.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Okay, well we can weigh goals heavier when we start calling Matthews the best player in the league because the gap between him and everyone else is bigger than Marner and Nylander.

The Nylander contract is no better than Marner's then and he keeps signing 4th liners to stupid contracts, so I am not too pleased with him.

Yes, leading your team in points is more impressive than coming in 2nd (in reality it should have been 3rd).

View attachment 905074

View attachment 905076

Define line driver... because it is not clear to me that is the case.

Forechecking? They both suck, but Marner clearly is better at forcing the turnover and getting sticks/bodies in lanes.

Passing, ya, not close either.

You are bragging about Nylander's goals... take look at their assists.

You haven't been watching long enough then.

Yes, Kadri and Marleau on a line with him doesn't scream "elite" players to me.

I still take Marner's season he signed over Nylander's best season.

I don't think they are very far off, but I'd probably take the guy signed through his prime instead of the guy signed past his prime, but that's just me.

We may have seen Nylander's best hockey, Marner was signed as someone who we still expected to grow.
I'm not sure why you mentioned the 'goals' issue, as it was just a slip, nobody complained about it, and it was in a different discussion completely. Unless you're trying to deflect the conversation by adding Matthews.

Why bring 'fourth liners' into a conversation about Marner and Nylander? Deflecting again?

26 goals and 94 points is more impressive than 40 goals and 87 points? Really?

I would say the 'line driver' is the dominant player on the line, who improves the others. That's pretty clearly Nylander more so than Marner.

Last year Nylander had 68 takeaways and only 45 giveaways, while Marner had more giveaways (60) than takeaways (59).

If you watched with an unbiased eye, you would notice that Nylander passes as well at Marner, but JT doesn't score as well as Matty - that may affect assist totals.

Do you seriously consider 26 goals and 94 points (playing on the top line) to be better than 40 goals and 98 points (playing on the second line with an ageing JT?

Yes, obviously Marner was signed with the expectation he would improve. He hasn't really. Nylander has improved each of the last three seasons (while his centre has deteriorated), so I'm not sure why you assume he has peaked.

He hasn't played under that contract yet so it's still unknown.
Obviously if you are looking at the season prior to signing a contract the player hasn't played under the new one yet.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The big boys. All four of them are still here.

Matthews is not going anywhere, and Nylander re-sign in January.

So, that left the other two realistically. Granted, Tavares is an awkward move, and Marner also has his NMC. But I get the impression that even without those, Treliving/Shanahan still seems content to run it back yet again despite saying they would look at it in the spring.

And, if they were to view the evidence of the past eight seasons, one would think they would opt for change even if that means perhaps a softer deal for Marner, who's likely to walk next summer anyway. Or even an uncomfortable conversation with Tavares.

And BTW, resigning him (Marner) to what he and DF will want means whatever amount more years in cap purgatory with the same group who, on the ice, have underachieved.
So your complaint is that in your opinion you don't think he has done what is virtually impossible to do under the circumstances.

You're also assuming Tre hasn't tried, and that Mitch is willing to waive, despite the fact that his agent has explicitly stated that he won't?

I agree that the last several years have been a mess, but I don't think you should blame Tre for a situation over which he has no control. Let's at least wait until he can possibly solve those two problems before complaining.

I thoroughly agree that signing Marner for what he wants is unlikely to improve the situation, which is why I'm hoping Tre makes the right decision as soon as it is possible to do so. (He may already have made the right decision, and is waiting for the opportunity to implement it.)

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
saw this meme on twitter and it reminded me of most of the Leafs fanbase's relationship with the MLSE management especially after the tough talk at the season ending presser LOL :laugh:

GWqslp6WsAAAm1q

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
saw this meme on twitter and it reminded me of most of the Leafs fanbase's relationship with the MLSE management especially after the tough talk at the season ending presser LOL :laugh:

GWqslp6WsAAAm1q
It would be a whole lot funnier if it wasn’t the truth……..

Reactions: PromisedLand

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What do you expect him to say? We are the same team with some modest upgrades but if Woll and Tanev get injured we will suck in the playoffs again?
How about at yhe very least stop dugar coating the turd, that would be the honest thing to do……..

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am perplexed by all this Tanev praise. The guy is 35 years old and broken down. He also hasn't played a minute for us. So how is he a significant signing? It reeks of desperation to me.
He played his entire career in Vancouver and Calgary so we didn’t see him play very often. We’ll have to wait and see what he brings.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am perplexed by all this Tanev praise. The guy is 35 years old and broken down. He also hasn't played a minute for us. So how is he a significant signing? It reeks of desperation to me.

Couple mistakes here.

He is insurance age 35, but won't be legally 35 until December. (As most know insurance age kicks in within 6 months of next birthday.)
He is like a gently used car with only 852 miles on him. (ummmm no ... he was driven hard)
It is a 6 year deal, which is significant. (2 years too long.)

Was not my first, second, third, ... choice but he does bring what the Leafs lack, and the hope is he stay healthy for 80% of the deal.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Couple mistakes here.

He is insurance age 35, but won't be legally 35 until December. (As most know insurance age kicks in within 6 months of next birthday.)
He is like a gently used car with only 852 miles on him. (ummmm no ... he was driven hard)

Was not my first, second, third, ... choice but he does bring what the Leafs lack, and the hope is he stay healthy for 80% of the deal.
I know he’s been able to stay healthy of late, but your right, those ate all hard miles and I predict him falling off sooner than later. Combine that with another questionable veteran D man in OEL and you have a recipe for the D looking pathetic once again…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know he’s been able to stay healthy of late, but your right, those ate all hard miles and I predict him falling off sooner than later. Combine that with another questionable veteran D man in OEL and you have a recipe for the D looking pathetic once again…….
I'm less concerned about OEL, he played through injury, but typically he's always been in the line-up.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Probably because Dekes and Notbias use the term scoring in a chameleon type fashion. When you say scoring (and mean goals) they take it to mean points which are not equal and they know it...but it lets them argue their point that Mitchy is the cats meow.
When I first joined I couldn’t understand the logic and then it dawned on me that several posters play in fantasy leagues where things are measured a lot differently.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Edmonton is a worse version of what he’s describing and they were a goal away. Instead of 4 guys it’s 2 guys plus Hyman and Ekholm. The only thing worse than not having enough money invested into your D+G is having money invested into Nurse, Ceci, Kulak, and Skinner.

Couple mistakes here.

I don’t think it’s what % of the deal he’s healthy for but how the injured parts are grouped together. 80% healthy is 16 games a season injured, if they all happen in October that’s fine. If it’s 2 games every 10 games and he never builds chemistry, has shit cardio all season, and never qualifies for LTIR to replace him that’s a season killer. If it’s 16 games in a row in May or June that’s a problem as well.

I don’t mind if he’s injured 60% of the contract as long as it’s all sequential games missed with perma-LTIR in the back half. What worries me is that his injury history seems to be more of the handful games here and there every month or two variety.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When I first joined I couldn’t understand the logic and then it dawned on me that several posters play in fantasy leagues where things are measured a lot differently.
Those two are brothers from different mothers imo……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad