Tribute Brad Treliving - offseason so far

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm here to praise him.

I like his free agent signings. His mission was to improve the defense and he's done it.

I know you're frothing at the mouth to come in here and talk about term, but I just see this as a necessary way to compete with the other GMs.

Good: Domi, Tanev, OEL
OK: Woll and Stolarz
We'll see: Liljegren and Hakanpaa.

When you see the money and term players like Roy or Zadorov got, you can see why he went with CT, JK, and OEL.

I know Tre has a tendency to get most of his work done in the offseason. He's not done IMHO.

My grade: A-

He's improved the PK, and the PP. These were things that TOR desperately needed.

I'd like to see your grading as well.

Go Leafs Go

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A-? And I thought those that gave him a C+ were generous.

I give a C. Tanev is OK, but these contracts are going to be hard to deal with in a year or two. I’m thinking to next off season and wondering how the new GM will unravel this mess.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Leafs scored 1.71 goals per game in the playoffs, which was the worst of any team. They also gave up the 5th fewest against of any playoff team. I can't say that I agree with the vision of getting older and neglecting the offense to bolster the defense on a team that constantly fails to score in the playoffs but typically has pretty good defensive results

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
B

By far, the best move by Tre was FINALLY exiting Sheldon Keefe from the HC role and bringing in Berube. I think this will make the largest impact on the team. He will change the style of play above all things, and I believe that will improve our performance in the playoffs. The leafs have become highly predictable in their offence, especially the power play. The MO for playing the leafs -> just take away their time and space. It’s a well known approach for the teams in our division, and it’s no surprise the leafs faired the poorest in the regular season against teams in our division. Berube should bring a much higher pace of play, which is exactly how to counter this.

In terms of additions, I think he did well. He improved the D. I’m not concerned about the scoring we lost as we have other players that can fill the void. I’m also glad he hasn’t been making irresponsible decisions that will handcuff us in the future.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A very average C. He did the bare minimum he had to do. Zero trades of significance. Nothing outrageously bad. Changed the coach. Upgraded the D a bit. Goaltending is fine. Offense is pretty much the same.

If you're happy with the bare minimum, that's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan5

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think it is a dumb idea to build your team through free agency and once again many teams (including ours) overpaid for players.

Tanev has ugly term.

OEL is a gamble.

Woll is overpaid.

Liljegren is overpaid.

Domi signing is good.

Stolarz is a good signing.

Hakanpaa signing is fine, but it pushes Benoit out most likely and I am not sure he is an upgrade.

Didn't address our needs for scoring.

A lot of money tied up in #5/6s on D.

Question marks in the net again.

D+, it could have been worse.

The "they can't run it back crowd" seems to be surprisingly okay with them running it back... it's weird.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I keep seeing people harp on replacing Bert's offense from last year. I really don't think we have to waste money on a mid level winger. Having Knies , McMann and Robertson improve next season more than makes up for the scoring from LW. Bert also had a 26 game scoreless streak. He was a huge non factor a lot of nights before he got hot and scored 20. He should have had 30 with all the tap ins he couldn't cash.

We were 2nd in goals scored last year to Colorado. Even without Bert we will be top 3 again.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I think it is a dumb idea to build your team through free agency and once again many teams (including ours) overpaid for players.

Tanev has ugly term.

OEL is a gamble.

Woll is overpaid.

Liljegren is overpaid.

Domi signing is good.

Stolarz is a good signing.

Hakanpaa signing is fine, but it pushes Benoit out most likely and I am not sure he is an upgrade.

Didn't address our needs for scoring.

A lot of money tied up in #5/6s on D.

Question marks in the net again.

D+, it could have been worse.

The "they can't run it back crowd" seems to be surprisingly okay with them running it back... it's weird.
‘The run it back crowd’ knows they needed to strengthen their D and G positions. Anyone can argue they just needed to score more, but when playoff games are tight goals are at a premium. You want your talent to come through in those moments. Our D and PK got a lot better with the moves. Perspective is everything, someone can agrur we needed to score more in game 7, but frankly, I saw our core come through and get that big goal to take the lead. But in typical leafs fashion we gave it back almost immediately. Meanwhile Florida locks down their 1 goal lead to win themselves a cup.

A Quick Look the Fla panthers playoff offense stats don’t reflect a bunch of mcdavids. They are a strong defensive team that keeps themselves in the game until the talent comes through.

I keep seeing people harp on replacing Bert's offense from last year. I really don't think we have to waste money on a mid level winger. Having Knies , McMann and Robertson improve next season more than makes up for the scoring from LW. Bert also had a 26 game scoreless streak. He was a huge non factor a lot of nights before he got hot and scored 20. He should have had 30 with all the tap ins he couldn't cash.

We were 2nd in goals scored last year to Colorado. Even without Bert we will be top 3 again.
100% agreed

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The issue with the Leafs though has been more scoring depth than total goals. If the main producers go quite or get shut down that offense dries up.

I'd agree Burt isn't a huge loss on his own, but that top 9 needs another offensive threat. Especially with Robertson's future with the team as a question mark

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
‘The run it back crowd’ knows they needed to strengthen their D and G positions. Anyone can argue they just needed to score more, but when playoff games are tight goals are at a premium. You want your talent to come through in those moments. Our D and PK got a lot better with the moves. Perspective is everything, someone can agrur we needed to score more in game 7, but frankly, I saw our core come through and get that big goal to take the lead. But in typical leafs fashion we gave it back almost immediately. Meanwhile Florida locks down their 1 goal lead to win themselves a cup.

A Quick Look the Fla panthers playoff offense stats don’t reflect a bunch of mcdavids. They are a strong defensive team that keeps themselves in the game until the talent comes through.

Do our good GA numbers and poor GF numbers in virtually every single playoff tell us that we need to tighten up D and not score more?

What factual information tells you this?

How'd the PP get better? Anything other than your opinion?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Grade: incomplete. missing his only assignment: dealing with Marner.

He gets an automatic F if he signs Marner.
Let's assume that Treliving doesn't have a magic wand.

Then give him a grade.

A-? And I thought those that gave him a C+ were generous.

I give a C. Tanev is OK, but these contracts are going to be hard to deal with in a year or two. I’m thinking to next off season and wondering how the new GM will unravel this mess.
I can't praise him with a C or a C+.

An A to me is praise. C is needs improvement/you did ok.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
B grade for Tre. Did good for what he had.

For everyone complaining about not improving the forwards:

Our lack of scoring in playoffs is due to game style. Keefe had the boys play one game style for 82 games and then switch to another in the regular season. This year we actually only started playing "Playoff Hockey" in Game 4

You play what you rep. Style under Keefe was be able to outscore despite being out played. Our one winning series vs Tampa got outplayed but Tampa played wide open high tempo style.

Once we hit FLA we got smoked because the shut everything down. Boston did the same and squeezed out the win. Honestly this year vs BOS could have easily gone either way.

Berube will get them to play a different style. Improving the D and G makes a lot of sense to me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How does a GM do that when regular season scoring was great? New coaching staff could make a difference, and someone like Knies or McMann needs to develop into a playoff scorer.

Do we care about the regular season now?

Address it for the playoffs.

Every year we lack scoring, not defensive play when the playoffs roll around.

Maybe new coaching is all we need, but it seems weird to see a team that played well defensive and struggled offensively and then think the solution to that is to get more defensive.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Do we care about the regular season now?

Address it for the playoffs.

Every year we lack scoring, not defensive play when the playoffs roll around.

Maybe new coaching is all we need, but it seems weird to see a team that played well defensive and struggled offensively and then think the solution to that is to get more defensive.
Better defensive game should allow puck movers like Rielly to go up ice more and link up with the forwards. We'll see.

More scorers will likely have to wait for the deadline or next year when the futures of JT and Marner are resolved.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Better defensive game should allow puck movers like Rielly to go up ice more and link up with the forwards. We'll see.

More scorers will likely have to wait for the deadline or next year when the futures of JT and Marner are resolved.

If OEL works out, I will be happier, we need more puck movement from the backend, he had the right idea with Klingberg last year too, just Klingberg had sucked for a few years, so it was the wrong player.

I am not confident with Treliving in free agency with more cap space, so I am not excited about him having a ton next year.

Last year's deadline was terrible, so hopefully he has learned that grabbing a bunch of fringe NHLers is pointless.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Meh. Worse upfront, better on D, huge question marks in goal. Roughly the same calibre team as last year.

It's not entirely his fault mind you, the team is held hostage by their core and it's NMCs.

Reactions: Nineteen67

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
not sure all these moves will work out, I see Robidas Island being quite busy in the coming season, that and so far still thinking you can succeed with half your cap going to four forwards who choke every spring is a good idea. It's not the start of the season yet, so he still has time, but if this is it, it's not enough............

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Let's assume that Treliving doesn't have a magic wand.

Then give him a grade.

I can't praise him with a C or a C+.

An A to me is praise. C is needs improvement/you did ok.
A C and an Ok is more than generous at this point. He may actually get an F depending on how he ends icing the 12F 6D 2G team.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I'm subscribing to the theory that our defense/transition game was so weak the past few playoffs that Keefe had to force the forwards to play further back, thus limiting offense.

As far as upgrading the defense goes, it's a solid B+ for this season. Tanev and OEL are huge gets and fill the two biggest needs. Our left side is stronger than ever, and the right side is so much better with Tanev knocking everyone down a peg. Depth should hold up so as to not need to waste draft picks on deadline D. Some intriguing projects in the system (Webber, Mattinen, Myers).

Missing out on Roy does sting, he was my first choice, and it looks like they tried.

I'm shocked that no depth forwards came here. I thought we would grab some cheap bangers like Entwhistle. Guess you can't compete with Florida when salary is a match.

Top 6 to me shouldn't need anything more. The core 4 is the core 4, if they can't score, then there is no point in running it back. You're telling me we need Tarasenko or Skinner to help Marner score in the playoffs? Bullshit. The only thing this forward group needs is a complete bottom 6 retool. We need relentless forecheckers and a stronger 3rd line C. Unless a Marner trade magically manifests, this is the only thing possible anyways.

Goaltending is gonna be a gamble, it will always be. Woll has crazy advance stats, like top 5-10 goalie in the league crazy. There is a reason they locked him up now. If he just plays the same as last season with no injuries he would be in Swayman territory. Let's see what Swayman gets as it might give an idea of what a full season of Woll might've commanded. Stolarz is mint. Both guys have to play more games than they ever have in the NHL but that's the appeal that gets you Stolarz for under market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad