Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There were more hits in the two Atlantic series than the rest of the league combined. Anyone who can't compute you need a toughish, big team, to make it out of our division, is simply ignorant to reality. Also Maurice seems to yell a lot, so what asinine criticism is that?

Dubists are intellectually boring and irrelevant. Also beyond transparent. A sleep aid.

I like this team, and I'll stand by it. This is the best iteration to date imo and a clear upgrade behind the bench. Get back to me in March.

Reactions: William Johnson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He signed the 1st and 3rd best... I'm not going down this road again, but that is who he signed.
Your opinion, but apparently not his.

But of course that's irrelevant to the discussion anyway. You said he could be blamed for re-signing the $10+M players and I just pointed out that you shouldn't blame him for doing what he hasn't done.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Tre is like most GM's ....if fans thought he would be alot better then Dubas then lower your expectations.
Trey signed some questionable contracts and is now stuck on waiting on Marner and Johnny T.
He has no leverage with Marner so its just a waiting game and from all I read Tre seems like he would like to resign Marner. Johnny is all about price. Tre has leverage as Johnny T wants to stay in TO and retire here.

Hopefully something happens with Lilly and Kampf....we need the cap space to get us our 2n line center. The Lilly extension isnt turning out well but who knows what atribation would of awarded Lilly.

I think Tre has been just ok. I do like the OEL pickup and Tanev is a solid player but that contract is just too long. The abuse he takes blocking shots its going to take its toll. Lorentz signing was great. He has been a pleasant surprise....extend him. He is the perfect 4th line winger.
Signing Reaves for 3 yrs at 1.35 mil is throwing money away. Not a big deal cap wise but they guy really offers nothing. Straight line hitter.....nothing else. The locker hasnt changed like said.
But then again im bias as Im not a fan at all.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Brad is probably safe for now but Shanahan?

giphy.gif

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I know. I just don't think what he did in Calgary is relevant when discussing his work in Toronto.

That's like saying Babcock did a great job here because he won the Cup.

Well comparing a GM to a coach isnt the same.
I was just replying back to your question.

Tre was caught in a situation in Calgary. It may not been all his fault but that’s the position he was in.

It’s like here. He did the exact same thing as Dubas did with Mathews and Willy extensions and he also gave them NMC

The excuse the standard was set beforehand is hogwash IMHO.

Is what Berube did in St. Louis revelant ? as Babcock as you mentioned? Are we giving him the benefit of the doubt because he won a cup?

We already see posts that the core is the problem and no one has mentioned that maybe trying to put a square peg (players) into a round hole (Berube system) isn’t quite working out.

The GM job is to get coaches and players he has to be on the same page. Put them in the best position to succeed. I know they want to be more physical and harder to play against but so far and it’s still very early .,,,it doesn’t seem like Mathew’s etc are adopting to the new system.

I wouldn’t have Mathew’s on the PK

PP ineptness is a big issue also. NHL is a specialty league now to go along with the gimmick 3 vs 3 in OT.

We have a supposedly better D and goaltending. Our top 6 continue to struggle with scoring and our bottom 6 has been pretty pathetic except for a bright spot in Lorentz.

Tre did resign Kampf and Lilly. Gave Reaves a 3 yr deal at 1.35 mil a yr which every day looks like bad signings.

Like mentioned it’s still early. Trades will happen and hopefully it will be for players who fit the scheme.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kampf contract pisses me off more and more everyday. Just completely unnecessary when you had Lafferty signed for $1.1 million for one more season to be 4C. The man panicked because O’Reilly f***ed off and now we’ve got an anchor in the bottom 6. Combine his deal with Liljegren’s that’s just wasting away in the press box and that’s $5.4 million doing nothing and very little. Free agents within that salary range included:

DeBrusk
Roy
Monahan
Bertuzzi
Zadorov
Arvidsson

Would’ve been easier to just let Liljegren walk if another defenseman, centre, or top six winger was coming in. Instead another last minute re-signing had to happen and now there’s money just sitting there not being used well.

Bottom pair has a rotation of a couple AHL calibre guys, a dude who your new coach hates, and a man whose knee might be cooked. LW has a sophomore, an inconsistent McMann, old AF Pacioretty, and a PTO graduate in Lorentz. Centre has Matthews, a frustrating Domi, a cooked Tavares, stinky Kampf, and just a guy in Holmberg.

A bit more patience and not rushing to sign and lock up a 4C and you could’ve addressed one of those holes in the off-season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Kind of forced that no? Also was universally praised at the time for the return he managed to get under horrible circumstances. It looks a tire fire now, but I recall the applause at the time, a lot here too.

I am beginning to think you are trolling... he was forced to make a bad trade and then sign the player to a huge overpayment?

You'll do anything but criticize him...

The applause ended the first time the players stepped on the ice, so it was a good trade on paper and nothing more, it seems like this board should be against good things on paper that don't translate to the ice, and they probably shouldn't want a GM who made good moves on paper only.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Your opinion, but apparently not his.

But of course that's irrelevant to the discussion anyway. You said he could be blamed for re-signing the $10+M players and I just pointed out that you shouldn't blame him for doing what he hasn't done.

He tried to trade Nylander... would be weird to trade the player you think is top 2 on your team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He tried to trade Nylander... would be weird to trade the player you think is top 2 on your team.
Only ghe Leafs would shop a player because they realize he isn’t what they need, get no offers to their liking so they resign him to a non movable overpayment……..

Reactions: OddyOh

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I think it's folly to judge him until this season's offseason.

There haven't been enough flexibility to judge yet.

Tavares coming off the books, what to do with Rielly and Marner.

That's easily the nexus moment for our team. This season yeah, new coach is nice, but I kinda mentally wrote off the season.

Tavares is so bad, we're getting vet min value from an 11 million contract.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think it's folly to judge him until this season's offseason.

There haven't been enough flexibility to judge yet.

Tavares coming off the books, what to do with Rielly and Marner.

That's easily the nexus moment for our team. This season yeah, new coach is nice, but I kinda mentally wrote off the season.

Tavares is so bad, we're getting vet min value from an 11 million contract.

Well next offseason he’s going to have so much on his plate dealing with Marner and Tavares that I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on 25/26, I think the 2026 offseason is where we REALLY get to see Brads team come together. Maybe 2027 if there’s not enough flexibility in 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad