Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.0%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 66 34.7%

• Total voters

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Looking back at last year's free agency it looks like Tre ended up with Domi at 3.75M, Benny at 1.35M, Reavo at 1.35M and didn't have to pay to remove anyone. That's a good result that would add up year over year.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Woll already ate 3mil of that 11mil due to his extension.
Knies and McCabe will get a 3mil increase each. Which will be 9mil of the 11mil from JT.
Holmberg will probably get a 500k increase if not more.
Thus the JT 11mil cap will have 1.5mil left.

It is such an illusion that JT’s 11mil off the book will free up cap space.
I get what you're saying but these contracts would have to be paid regardless. How is it not freeing up cap space? If JTs contract was longer we would be in trouble. The fact that removing his albatross allows us to resign usable players and gives us spare change to pay another free agent is just fine with me. We don't need to sign another over priced player with JTs money we just need it for flexibility and that's what it will give us.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
personally not overly happy with what we've done over the past 2 days. signing Liljegren and Woll is fine, probably a little bit higher then expected but that's fine.

what I was hoping for this offseason was that we would reshape the Defense, our top 4 to be more exact and take it from a weakness and turn it into a strength and Tre has not done that at all our top 4 is still not top 10 on paper, it's average at best imo. personally would have matched or slightly beat each of Skjei, Pesce or Roy's deals to get two of those guys with my main target being Skjei. Skjei Tanev would have been fine. now maybe they don't come anyways but it's part of brad's job to convince these guys to come.

my problem is they went for the budget guys in a attempt to fill all the holes instead of using this summer to make the defense a strength and then next summer re-work the forwards so that we would be set for 3-4 years of Stanley cup contention.

Edit: would also add we've done nothing towards getting a 3c so expectation is were going with who exactly Matthews/Tavares/Kampf/Holmberg down the middle? that to me is no longer a strength of this team.

Woll already ate 3mil of that 11mil due to his extension.
Knies and McCabe will get a 3mil increase each. Which will be 9mil of the 11mil from JT.
Holmberg will probably get a 500k increase if not more.
Thus the JT 11mil cap will have 1.5mil left.

It is such an illusion that JT’s 11mil off the book will free up cap space.

don't look at it like that we currently have 28.7 million in cap space next year with 15 guys signed 28 million to sign 5-8 guys is a lot of cap space.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
my problem is they went for the budget guys in a attempt to fill all the holes instead of using this summer to make the defense a strength

that's a fair concern. but whom were you hoping we'd get? as was reported a lot of the defense UFAs this year did not want to play in Canada, and i am going to assume not a lot of defensemen are up for trade [yet].

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
that's a fair concern. but whom were you hoping we'd get? as was reported a lot of the defense UFAs this year did not want to play in Canada, and i am going to assume not a lot of defensemen are up for trade [yet].

I obviously cant answer that Daisy because I'm not aware of if these guys were willing to come to Canada or not. btw Money usually changes that. but like I said it's part of Brad's job to convince these guys to come. but if he couldn't get one of them to come then look at the trade route. maybe someone there could have been had.

at the end of the day don't sign OEL to a long term deal if you can't get someone who is good enough to fill the spot, you gotta stay short term to give you the same opportunity next summer. or if someone becomes available mid season you need the cap space to make that move.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have little doubt they took some calls after the "everything is on the table" press conference, and Marner is the only core player that has a chance of being traded. My guess is nothing appealed the Leafs.
Not surprised, he'd have immense value.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1719944760771.png

Reactions: bax and ITM

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I obviously cant answer that Daisy because I'm not aware of if these guys were willing to come to Canada or not. btw Money usually changes that. but like I said it's part of Brad's job to convince these guys to come. but if he couldn't get one of them to come then look at the trade route. maybe someone there could have been had.

at the end of the day don't sign OEL to a long term deal if you can't get someone who is good enough to fill the spot, you gotta stay short term to give you the same opportunity next summer. or if someone becomes available mid season you need the cap space to make that move.

oh no - i mean, like Roy, or Pesce etc. I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough. just reading your comment, OEL wasn't it but i was just curious who was on your personal radar. according to some insiders we are still looking to trade people so maybe it clears up more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's a fair point, but at the same time "better than two of the worst contracts of the day" is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

But certainly happy management moved on from those two. Decent depth players but you could see those overpayments coming from a mile away.
There's no question that Tanev and OEL are a much better duo than Lyubushkin and Edmundson, who are both nothing more than 3rd pairing defensemen.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving made some intelligent decisions on day 1 of free agency, opting for smart salary allocation as opposed to overpaying to keep certain players in the organization.

Whether or not Tanev and/or OEL pan out is yet to be determined, but there's no arguing that the Leafs will get a better bang for their buck with Tanev and Ekman-Larsson than they would have gotten by paying Edmundson and Lyubushkin a combined $7.15M.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
oh no - i mean, like Roy, or Pesce etc. I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough. just reading your comment, OEL wasn't it but i was just curious who was on your personal radar. according to some insiders we are still looking to trade people so maybe it clears up more.
Skjei would have been my main target. I would have paid the price or even gone another 500k per to sign him if need be.

as for trades, they certainly could happen, only guy I see moving on is Liljegren from the defense but then I doubt we sign him so early if that was the case so I see our Defense as being what it will be come opening day.

I was just hoping this summer would have been used to overall the defense and make it into a strength and next summer do that same for the forwards when Tavares/Marner comes off the books instead they tried to do a little bit of everything and as of today I don't think they accomplished much with the signings they made. our top 4 Defense is still average, and our center depth isn't a strength anymore either with Matthews/Tavares/Kampf/?????(Dewar/Holmberg/Minten). I just don't see the money being spent wisely.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There's no question that Tanev and OEL are a much better duo than Lyubushkin and Edmundson, who are both nothing more than 3rd pairing defensemen.
Leafs GM Brad Treliving made some intelligent decisions on day 1 of free agency, opting for smart salary allocation as opposed to overpaying to keep certain players in the organization.
Whether or not Tanev and/or OEL pan out is yet to be determined, but there's no arguing that the Leafs will get a better bang for their buck with Tanev and Ekman-Larsson than they would have gotten by paying Edmundson and Lyubushkin a combined $7.15M.
Two offseasons in, Treliving finally did something, and it's slightly better than having two of the worst contracts from FA combined, as long as we ignore the horrific term given to the mid-30s players we added. What a high bar we set.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Unless something bold happens, this is pretty close to the group that will start game one next year - Caveat being the long shot that Marner is actually moved.

As of today then, nothing I've seen changes their outlook for next year. They couldn't score again this post-season and have done nothing to address that. 3C? The bottom six is meh, at best. The blueline is better but Tanev is an injury risk and OEL is a bit of question mark as to how well he'll play/fit in.

In net, there was very little that Treliving could have done as everyone wants an elite (or even very capable) starter but Stolarz has potential and if Woll stays healthy it may be the best outcome under the circumstances.

The Fail Four are very likely all back for one last go (see Marner above), and if that's the case then expect the same. So then the real interesting time will be next Summer depending on what happens with Mitch & Johnny T. Until then? Nothing to get excited about.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I am shocked that you think Tanev and OEL are better after hyping up Edmundson and Lub so much last season.

Tanev and OEL are not these "big, mean, and mobile" D you keep saying are the best and Tre keeps signing.

This post just seems weird. Almost like your opinion changes based on what Treliving does.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Two offseasons in, Treliving finally did something, and it's slightly better than having two of the worst contracts from FA combined, as long as we ignore the horrific term given to the mid-30s players we added. What a high bar we set.

Can’t say I love the Tanev contract, but he’s a needle moving addition imo, so you do what you have to.

Regarding OEL his term is far from horrific.
We bought his 34-37 seasons. No reason that every one of those can’t be good for us.

I also like that we’re getting some stability in the next tier of players on the roster after the core. The turnover year to year in key positions has been brutal and a big part of the lack of cohesion and progress imo

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Unless something bold happens, this is pretty close to the group that will start game one next year - Caveat being the long shot that Marner is actually moved.

As of today then, nothing I've seen changes their outlook for next year. They couldn't score again this post-season and have done nothing to address that. 3C? The bottom six is meh, at best. The blueline is better but Tanev is an injury risk and OEL is a bit of question mark as to how well he'll play/fit in.

In net, there was very little that Treliving could have done as everyone wants an elite (or even very capable) starter but Stolarz has potential and if Woll stays healthy it may be the best outcome under the circumstances.

The Fail Four are very likely all back for one last go (see Marner above), and if that's the case then expect the same. So then the real interesting time will be next Summer depending on what happens with Mitch & Johnny T. Until then? Nothing to get excited about.

There is no doubt still work to take place on the forward group and Tre essentially said as much at the end of the day July 1st given the D and G seem pretty set now.

While we haven’t directly tackled the forwards yet, I wouldn’t say we have done nothing to address the playoff scoring issues. I believe fixing the D will have a significant positive impact on the offense and the coaching changes could also be a big factor.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
D.

This DCore is marginally better. But relying on a 35 year old defenseman to be your rock is a recipe for disaster.

Leafs should have held steady. Let Marner and Tavares walk and reinvest the cap into higher quality defenseman.

Tanev and OEL may be decent for next year, but after 2025 they are bottom pairing D level players signed for 7M.

Point me to teams that have a 35 year old as their best defenseman playing important playoff games.

There aren't any

Reactions: Captain34

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think he did a great job last year considering he came in about a month before the draft and free agency and didn't get to hire his coach or build the roster in his image.

Now he's got his coach,

he's reshaping the defense the way he wants it, it's still a work in progress but it's his vision now, his pieces.

We aren't going to be able to fully judge him after this year because there is still a significant portion of this team that Dubas is response for, but you can start to judge him now because now he's being allowed to make the changes he feels are necessary.

Last year I gave him a pass because he didn't have a lot of time to evaluate the team before the draft and free agency.

He's had that time now, he's putting his pieces in place, now expectations go for him.

Reactions: bax and notDatsyuk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
D.

This DCore is marginally better. But relying on a 35 year old defenseman to be your rock is a recipe for disaster.

Leafs should have held steady. Let Marner and Tavares walk and reinvest the cap into higher quality defenseman.

Tanev and OEL may be decent for next year, but after 2025 they are bottom pairing D level players signed for 7M.

Point me to teams that have a 35 year old as their best defenseman playing important playoff games.

There aren't any

John Carlson turns 35 in January and with the moves Washington made this summer as long as they are healthy they are probably making the playoffs.

Hedman is going to get there soon too he's either turning 35 this year or next.

Reactions: bax

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
NMCs are a reality. If they didn't try, I would be disappointed. But I think they did try. Marner is probably asking for $13 million. There is nobody going to trade for that. And Tavares isn't going to waive. As long as neither are given a new deal, that is enough for me. I don't want Tavares at $6. I don't want Tavares at $4.
I’d bet Marner would take 8 x 11, fans are worse negotiators than even Dubas. We will see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad