Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.0%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 66 34.7%

• Total voters

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So why trade Marner. Jt is gone after this year. Nylander should have been traded last year at the height of his value.
I agree about Nylander last year but that ship has sailed.

JT leaving helps but that cap will get eaten quickly

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
what role? the role beside Rielly? How come Holl or Lilly couldn't take on that role despite being drastically superior D according to you?
I never said Holl and Lilly were "drastically superior D". I refuted your false claim that Holl never performed well for us.
Holl/Liljegren playstyles don't really mesh with Rielly. They were never competing for that spot.
Did worse relative to who?
Holl.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree about Nylander last year but that ship has sailed.

JT leaving helps but that cap will get eaten quickly
Woll already ate 3mil of that 11mil due to his extension.
Knies and McCabe will get a 3mil increase each. Which will be 9mil of the 11mil from JT.
Holmberg will probably get a 500k increase if not more.
Thus the JT 11mil cap will have 1.5mil left.

It is such an illusion that JT’s 11mil off the book will free up cap space.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I never said Holl and Lilly were "drastically superior D". I refuted your false claim that Holl never performed well for us.
Holl/Liljegren playstyles don't really mesh with Rielly. They were never competing for that spot.
You're actually literally on record in the 2022 playoffs saying it's a mistake to keep Lyubhskin in the lineup over LIljegren and Holl, with no mention of any "missing chemistry" with Rielly.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Some polarizing pro's/con's of each signing as the day went on. First time I've had a chance to really look at it as a whole:

- I liked Trev rebuilding the blue line upgrading the top 4, adding puck movement, but also keeping physicality
- At the same time it came with some questionable contracts.
- Looking at the rest fo the UFA market, those contracts actually don't seem to be terrible in AAV ... just term
- It was a good day to be a 3rd pairing d-man.

Now I've been of the mind that I want to give Woll a shot and have an avenue for Hildeby, and Stolarz was one I had my eye on. Great signing in that area. Matt Murray is a long shot but he should slide through waivers and provide some insurance in case Hildeby can't step up. Murray gets a chance to continue his rehabs.

Up front they've lost offense. And offense was already missing for the team in the playoffs. Now the addition of OEL should hopefully give that a bump from the defense, there is a lot to still be desired here.

Ultimately revising the blue line and all really means nothing if they're just going to run it back with the same forward core for 1 more year, since we know how it'll end. So it has been disappointing in that aspect.

What's interesting is that Tre has locked in the blue line for a couple of seasons so the cap space coming up next off-season will have a lot of options.

- I really like the Stolarz and Hankanpaa contracts for their role
- Happy to get Tanev but man 6 years is.... long.
- OEL initially concerned me, but I'm the most intrigued by it honestly .. would like to see how that Cup experience influences his game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Four $11M forwards is two too many, especially when one in particular is weak in the playoffs.

Yes, JT will either be leaving or on a much smaller contract after next year. Nylander is the better player and has been improving each year, at least in Tre's opinion, which is why he's now an $11M forward.
Thankfully those 2 contracts can only be blocked by a NMC for 1 more season.

Next July 1st our new GM will be able to cut 4 double digit contracts down to 2 if that is the route he chooses. Judging by the implied preference he would like to move on from Marner as soon as this year, and surely a swiftly declining Tavares will have his next contract seriously slashed even to stay with the Leafs.

Nylander in just 4 games scored 3 times which = Matthews (1) , Marner(1) and Tavares (1) combined this playoff year.

Past 3 playoff seasons Willy has 10 goals Matthews has 10 goals Tavares 8 and Marner 6.

For anyone with eyeballs that is watching Leafs can see with those same eyes that Matthews and Nylander are more effective playoff performers than JT and invisible MM have been,

If you were to keep 2 the choice would be rather obvious and from what I can tell it appears Treliving has also come to that same conclusion with his re-signings and affirmative actions and his public messages.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ultimately revising the blue line and all really means nothing if they're just going to run it back with the same forward core for 1 more year, since we know how it'll end. So it has been disappointing in that aspect.

I agree that the real source of Leafs playoff struggles has not yet been fixed, This one is still very much TBD and certainly not over yet,

The first day of Free Agency often shapes the trade market thereafter going forward for those teams that missed out on key players they were looking at filling roster spots.

The next phase now for teams is to make hockey trades to change teams, and this is now where we seem to be heading next.

There are still over 10 teams with enough Cap space to essentially take on Marner's contract simply for future's picks and prospects, Also some teams with lots of cap space on this list that might aggressively pursue a trade now that the Dust has settled on best FREE players has passed. The 3 X California Teams. Carolina, Utah, STL that still come a calling, based simply on available cap space.

1719885598570.png

1719885630213.png

What we do know is July 1st was the day Marner received his $7.25 mil signing bonus leaving only $775k in real money .. That is a great position for a team with lots of free cap space to absorb a $10.9 mil AAV cap hit at only the price of a league minimum salary.

Anaheim is $6.65 mil below the Cap floor and was very quiet today.. Perhaps Marner was their objective all along.. We will have to wait and see if anything happens.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would not say the offense is fixed yet either but our struggles producing offense in the playoffs are at least partially caused by the issues we’ve had on the backend and systems. It’s hard to quantify to what degree, but improving the backend and changing the coaching could go a long way. Still need to make forward moves though

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I would not say the offense is fixed yet either but our struggles producing offense in the playoffs are at least partially caused by the issues we’ve had on the backend and systems. It’s hard to quantify to what degree, but improving the backend and changing the coaching could go a long way. Still need to make forward moves though

The Leafs now have a balance of 4 more offense oriented puck mover types (Rielly, OEL, Liljegren, Timmins), and 4 more defense oriented physical types (Tanev, McCabe, Benoit, Hankanpaa) ... 2 righties and 2 lefties in each.

Obviously each d-man has other aspects their games. But it will be nice to have options for pairings, the PP, and the PK.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Offense

Leafs costly Core 4 has in fact weakened the offense by a Top 6 forward.

Leafs use to have Hyman as the teams #1 LW playing alongside Matthews, then it went to Bunting, then to Bertuzzi and now Leafs are left with XXXX as their top line LW at present.

They use to have $5 mil allocated to that position and now with it unfilled they have weakened their attack and are already capped out.

So the more they continue to pay the Core 4 the more depth they squeeze out of the supporting cast, so you have to think that re-shaping the offense has to be high on the table.

Remember Leafs only scored 2 or less goals in the playoffs in like 10 of their 11 last games played. Only 12 goals total in 7 playoff games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Perhaps, but he hasn’t demonstrated that he knows how to win.
When Willy turned to Marner who was having a temper tantrum and throwing his gloves on the bench, it was Willy that confronted him him and told him to "shut the F up and just play".

I suspect that was a defining moment when Management saw who was the right player to keep and the one emotional one who's time had come. Willy demonstrated the leadership quality that teams look for in players that don't quit and don't shutdown and complaining when the going gets tough.

Willy scored 3 goals in only 4 games which = Matthews & Marner and Tavares combined,

In all fairness Willy came to play and of the core 4 was the least of Leafs playoff scoring woes, when he lead the team in scoring. IMO

Quick reminder.. Willy scored both goals in Game #6 sending it to game #7 and then the only goal in that game in the loss in OT, while firing 18 shots on net in 4 games.. WHERE was everybody else?

1719888609240.png

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You're actually literally on record in the 2022 playoffs saying it's a mistake to keep Lyubhskin in the lineup over LIljegren and Holl, with no mention of any "missing chemistry" with Rielly.
Not sure what you're even talking about, but you shouldn't be surprised when people look back on a loss and wish they had prioritized the better performing player or the developing player that could benefit from experience, over the playstyle match that struggled anyway. And being in the lineup doesn't mean being next to Rielly. In hindsight, playoff experience hasn't really helped Liljegren since, but that doesn't change you being wrong about Holl.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Didn't get good enough offers for Nylander last year; not getting good enough offers for Marner this year.

Both apparently untradeable.
We know they admitted such with Nylander, how are you arriving at the Marner conclusion?

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
I like that he focused on D and goaltending.
I like that he reconstructed a D core that will play mostly in their comfortable position's
Did he pick the right players who knows but I like who he chose and the prices paid in comparison to what other D got yesterday.

I can't wait to see how the boys play under a proven NHL caliber coach.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Woll already ate 3mil of that 11mil due to his extension.
Knies and McCabe will get a 3mil increase each. Which will be 9mil of the 11mil from JT.
Holmberg will probably get a 500k increase if not more.
Thus the JT 11mil cap will have 1.5mil left.

It is such an illusion that JT’s 11mil off the book will free up cap space.
Exactly!

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Bertuzzi was signed on Jul 2nd last year.
Domi, Jul 3rd.
Jones, Aug 9th.
Benoit, Aug 28th.

Jobs not done, far from it. Judging the offseason on just yesterday is very premature. The defense looks like it took a step in the right direction for decent prices compared to some of the dog water that got signed.

Seriously, Tanev for only 1.25m more than Lyubushkin? Hello??? Length be damned. Some of the geniuses on here thought Edmundson and Boosh were gonna re-sign here for 1 mil each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad