TSN: Brad Richards has been BOUGHT OUT.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KreiMeARiver*

Can Mason Raymond play center. Good, cheap replacement

Hahahahah_noo.gif

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
the question will be what kind of money do the Rangers have leftover after they sign some of the guys they want to keep. They need to be swift and decisiveness if they want a UFA, and they may not be able to be swift and decisive given all the holes that need to be filled this offseason.

I honestly think we just sign a 3rd line center and roll with Brassard as the 2nd line center.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Hoping Brad has an excellent next season, to increase league wide interest in Rick Nash.

Cobra Jack*

I have a question: Have the Rangers ever brought in a guy over 30 years old, who had success on other teams, come to us and live up to the expectations? Mark Messier is the only guy right now I can think of who fit that bill.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
"Its hard to get up at 6am to train when you're wearing silk pajamas" - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

That quote, to me, encapsulates a lot of why big money free agents fail here.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I have a question: Have the Rangers ever brought in a guy over 30 years old, who had success on other teams, come to us and live up to the expectations? Mark Messier is the only guy right now I can think of who fit that bill.

Jagr, Straka, Prospal, Shanahan, etc.

These players were usually on 1-year or short term deals with a reasonable cap hit. It's the long-term, highly paid contracts that tend to bite us in the ass.

Zaggs

Apr 20, 2014
I'll miss Richie. Yes his play wasn't up to his previous play. But still he provided leadership and wasn't all that bad. Too bad the NHL doesn't allow for resigning him at a more cap friendly number.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Gomez all over again.

Stay away from Stastny.

disagree.

good defensively. skates well, would be our best F/O man and that's with Boyle still here.

Can play a speed game as his skating while not a strong point, is not a weakness either.

Better option than giving up assets for Thornton in addition to parting with similar coin.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Ya, I'm feeling this too - probably at the trade deadline.

And all it will cost us is Marc Staal, and two first round draft picks. Gotta go for it while Hank is in his prime.

do the Rangers even have a first round pick to trade, or are you saying a first round pick in 2016 and 2017, so the Rangers can go a few straight years without a first round pick? Also, if Staal is playing well and the Rangers are looking like a contending team, I don't think he's a guy who gets traded at the deadline.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
disagree.

good defensively. skates well, would be our best F/O man and that's with Boyle still here.

Can play a speed game as his skating while not a strong point, is not a weakness either.

Better option than giving up assets for Thornton in addition to parting with similar coin.

Gomez was good defensively. Gomez could skate well. Gomez played a speed game.

This is Gomez part II.

Maybe we can trade him for another McD a couple of years after he inevitably implodes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ya, I'm feeling this too - probably at the trade deadline.

And all it will cost us is Marc Staal, and two first round draft picks. Gotta go for it while Hank is in his prime.

You fix one whole in that trade and create another.

I'd trade Miller + picks at the deadline if we could go for another run. Staal and picks at the deadline? Can't see it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
do the Rangers even have a first round pick to trade, or are you saying a first round pick in 2017 and 2018, so the Rangers can go a few straight years without a first round pick? Also, if Staal is playing well and the Rangers are looking like a contending team, I don't think he's a guy who gets traded at the deadline.

Staal is the only legitimate trade piece the Rangers have. I hate the idea of using him to go after flawed candidates like Thornton, O'Reilly, Spezza, whatever imperfect center candidate we can think of. I am really fearful that the defensive depth that helped this team along collapses like a house of cards without Staal - who has always been painfully underrated by Ranger fans.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Staal is the only legitimate trade piece the Rangers have. I hate the idea of using him to go after flawed candidates like Thornton, O'Reilly, Spezza, whatever imperfect center candidate we can think of. I am really fearful that the defensive depth that helped this team along collapses like a house of cards without Staal - who has always been painfully underrated by Ranger fans.

I don't consider O'Reilly flawed.

The other guys? Yeah. Especially Thornton.

I think Miller is a good trade piece, though. Miller and picks gets it done for Thornton at the deadline if that's a direction Slats wanted to go in. And you do it without opening up a massive hole on the back-end.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Gomez was good defensively. Gomez could skate well. Gomez played a speed game.

This is Gomez part II.

Maybe we can trade him for another McD a couple of years after he inevitably implodes.

gomez was good defensively?

don't ever remember that.

Gomez produced to his career averages while here in NY. Paying a 60 point player to come in and produce 80 points is stupid on the teams part.

That's what they did with Gomez.

7 per back then is a whole hell of a lot different than 7 million today

I'm looking at Stastny to be an improved version of Brad Richards. 55-65 points, better defensively, better on draws and don't be slow as ****.

Same cap hit, but a better player? and no assets wasted to acquire him? Sign me up

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Yeah…don't understand how someone could forget how dominant he was that season.

Most single-season goals (2005–06) – 54

Most single-season points (2005–06) – 123

Most single-season power-play goals (2005–06) – 24

Most single-season shots on goal (2005–06) – 368

Most single-season game-winning goals (2005–06) – 9 (Tied with Mark Messier 1996–97 and Don Murdoch 1980–81)

Most single-season assists by a right wing (2005–06) – 69

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You fix one whole in that trade and create another.

I'd trade Miller + picks at the deadline if we could go for another run. Staal and picks at the deadline? Can't see it.

I agree, but Miller + picks nets nothing of value I would think.

I still think the Rangers best course of action is trying to re-sign all the free agents, and looking to make a cheap/shrewd acquisition at center. Not a reach for the stars move, but a guy that can slot into the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad