TSN: Brad Richards has been BOUGHT OUT.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Good, time to move on.

Hopefully Sather doesn't just go out and make yet another free agent signing mistake.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Good, time to move on.

Hopefully Sather doesn't just go out and make yet another free agent signing mistake.

Don't know how signing BR was a mistake.

Under the old rules, BR retires and there's barely any cap punishment.

Now, we get a free buyout.

Brad Richards was huge in two of the most successful seasons in franchise history.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Been good having Brad on board... did a lot for us.

Onto the next era

Ahh the New York Rangers. Where a couple of seasons and a buyout is considered an "era" for centers.

One way or another, careers come here to die via the free agency market. Stay away.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i'll just say this. i would have bought out brad richards even if we didnt have cap recapture and even if we didnt have the cap crunch we're in right now.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Had to be done. Glad you were here Brad, you did some good things, and now we hold our breath and hope like **** Sather doesn't replace you with another mistake.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hes yet another swing and a miss when it comes to free agent centers.

Stastny will be the next one. DONT DO IT, GLEN.

Statstny is late 20's. To me if you're going after UFA's it's best to go after younger ones. OTOH Stastny is a very good player but he's not an elite guy but he'll probably cost you close to elite $'s. If he signed he should make our center position stronger than it has been. As strong as LA's?--probably not. To me signing him is a better option than trading Staal for ROR--you might just be out a little more cap space but you still have Staal.

Honestly I have no idea whether Stastny would even want to come here. Don't think it's a slam dunk that he signs with the Rangers--the chances just get better the more money and term we offer. His dad played for the Nordiques and the Devils. He wants to stay in Colorado. He might just want to stay out west.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
How much money does he receive from the buyout and how are the payments structured?

Must be a nice payday to celebrate....

*Bob Richards*

I liked Richards. Seemed like a genuinely good guy but this had to be done. I gotta say, despite our deep runs with him on the team, I'm still a bit disappointed with his tenure here. He wasn't bad but he certainly didn't play like the superstar number 1 enter we thought we were getting.

Also, he was absolutely atrocious last year. Got benched in two playoff elimination games.

Regardless, I still like him and wish him luck wherever he goes granted its not a division rival or the Canadiens. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good luck to him. It was really sad watching his legs fail on him over the course of his time here. I appreciate his leadership and his hard work, but it was just clear that he had to go after this season.

I really wish him well.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Gonna miss the guy. It's so sad it has come to this, and how much he's regressed in the past couple years. He's just not a top-payed player anymore, and 6 more years on the books would be killer.
Thanks for everything Brad!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Statstny is late 20's. To me if you're going after UFA's it's best to go after younger ones. OTOH Stastny is a very good player but he's not an elite guy but he'll probably cost you close to elite $'s. If he signed he should make our center position stronger than it has been. As strong as LA's?--probably not. To me signing him is a better option than trading Staal for ROR--you might just be out a little more cap space but you still have Staal.

Honestly I have no idea whether Stastny would even want to come here. Don't think it's a slam dunk that he signs with the Rangers--the chances just get better the more money and term we offer. His dad played for the Nordiques and the Devils. He wants to stay in Colorado. He might just want to stay out west.

From an asset standpoint, sure, signing Stastny might be the better move.

But to your point, Stastny is going to command $7M+ on the open market, and he is not an elite center. The fans are going to expect him to be one even though hes not. The situation is set up for failure.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
From an asset standpoint, sure, signing Stastny might be the better move.

But to your point, Stastny is going to command $7M+ on the open market, and he is not an elite center. The fans are going to expect him to be one even though hes not. The situation is set up for failure.

Gomez all over again.

Stay away from Stastny.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Richie was not bad here. His contract was. Thats the bottom line. If he was making $4.5-$5 mil it would not be ws tragic. This team made it to the ECF and SCF during his time here. I respect and appreciate the time Richards gave to us.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
I'm conflicted.

I hate seeing my favorite team make a move that is not driven by competitive reasons but financial reasons.

This also puts the roster in a tremendous state of flux. We are leaning heavily on Miller or Lindberg, or going outside the organization via trade/FA. Not an ideal spot to be in, honestly.

zestystrat

Jun 18, 2002
NYC > Atlanta
www.soulhound.com
He was getting slower and slower as you watched the PO's.

Being winded is one thing but his lack of speed was painfully obvious the longer the PO's went on.

He'll be just fine on another team, but this team is built on speed and his lack of it is very apparent on a team like this.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

the question will be what kind of money do the Rangers have leftover after they sign some of the guys they want to keep. They need to be swift and decisiveness if they want a UFA, and they may not be able to be swift and decisive given all the holes that need to be filled this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad