Player Discussion Brad Marchand X- Return of the Rat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I tend to be a glass is half empty person so I'm thinking your second sentence is the case.
I'm usually an optimist but not with aging athletes. God Bless Marchy but things aren't about to get easier for him in the coming seasons. Watching him and Bergeron age is probably the most painful of any players in any sport for me. Watching Joe Thornton get traded probably comes in as a distant 3.

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brad is a tough bugger. He will give (as always) his 110 % every shift.

I hope he can play for the Bs for a couple more years.

Remember when both hips were fixed, and everyone thought he was done. He was supposed to come back after Thanksgiving but was back much earlier...

We are SO lucky to have him. He is excellent leader and captain.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm usually an optimist but not with aging athletes. God Bless Marchy but things aren't about to get easier for him in the coming seasons. Watching him and Bergeron age is probably the most painful of any players in any sport for me. Watching Joe Thornton get traded probably comes in as a distant 3.
Correct me if , am wrong did Donnie say they had no player surgeries .........Now great player but, he must be watched because of age and injuries. This is why they some cap room, and not overpay Sway,

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Brad is a tough bugger. He will give (as always) his 110 % every shift.

I hope he can play for the Bs for a couple more years.

Remember when both hips were fixed, and everyone thought he was done. He was supposed to come back after Thanksgiving but was back much earlier...

We are SO lucky to have him. He is excellent leader and captain.
I f***ing LOVE our captain.

Let’s GO, boys!! Wooooo!!

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
While I agree, I'm also thrilled that their play didn't or hasn't dropped off. Bergeron won a damn selke in his last season in the league. He aged but still was among the elite two-way players in the world. I'd be more sad if all of a sudden he was a shell of his former self.

Marchand as well. He's still unreal. I'd be concerned if he went out there this year and had a 30-40 point season. I see 60-70 points on his horizon once again.

Reactions: HustleB and PaulD

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
While I agree, I'm also thrilled that their play didn't or hasn't dropped off. Bergeron won a damn selke in his last season in the league. He aged but still was among the elite two-way players in the world. I'd be more sad if all of a sudden he was a shell of his former self.

Marchand as well. He's still unreal. I'd be concerned if he went out there this year and had a 30-40 point season. I see 60-70 points on his horizon once again.
Totally agree on both players

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Totally agree on both players
Yeah, you see so many guys hang on too long and then they're honestly a liability towards the end of their careers. You'll see 10-11 years of elite play and all of a sudden there's a huge drop in production and their play in general.

We were so damn lucky with Bergeron, Marchand and honestly even Krejci. I think Marchand will be smart enough to know when his time is up.

Krejci in his final 2 seasons, 100 points in 121 games +39
Bergeron in his final 2 seasons, 123 points in 151 games +62

Then you look at a guy like Toews

68 points in 124 games and a -45

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

I don't know - I could see Marchand's offensive numbers dropping but him still being an asset on the team for a few years. Maybe not if he's taking a huge chunk of the cap or being force-fed opportunities that other players could be more productive with. But he's got such a great all around game, and is such a competitor I don't think the offense is where his only value is.

Reactions: BBruins and Ladyfan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

So a 36 year old with 3 offseason surgeries do not concern you, well it does concern me, as it is they are looking for a top 6 RW, and now with the news of Marchand, that Sweeney conveniently forgot to mention, might be in the market for a top 6 LW.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So a 36 year old with 3 offseason surgeries do not concern you, well it does concern me, as it is they are looking for a top 6 RW, and now with the news of Marchand, that Sweeney conveniently forgot to mention, might be in the market for a top 6 LW.
I watched the same guy get double hip surgery, come back earlier than expected and still play at an elite level.

I think he will be fine.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I watched the same guy get double hip surgery, come back earlier than expected and still play at an elite level.

I think he will be fine.
I hope that he is, but Donnie should wait and not prepare for the day that eventually will come like he waited to replace Bergey and Krecji , oh that's right he will just follow the pattern of paying 8 mil for a 3rd line center.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Bruins' Brad Marchand Issues Sharp Warning on Contract Talks​

Longtime Boston Bruins staple Brad Marchand is entering the final season of his eight-year, $49 million contract with the franchise but you won't hear a word about his signing of an extension coming off his mouth.

Marchand made it clear that he’s not interested in discussing contract negotiations publicly while addressing reporters at the media session held on Tuesday, September 3, at the Bruins captain practice.

“I’m going to say this now and kind of leave it at that, but I won’t ever talk about contract stuff in the media,” Marchand said, via Amalie Benjamin of NHL.com. “Whatever goes on will stay between [GM Don Sweeney] and our group, and we’ll leave it at that. I think there’s enough respect between the two sides that we can deal with it.”

Though Marchand remains tight-lipped on his contract situation, both he and the Bruins have expressed a mutual desire for him to remain in Boston long-term.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney previously mentioned that the team’s goal is to have Marchand retire as a Bruin. For his part, Marchand would love nothing more than to spend his entire career in Boston.

Marchand, however, emphasized that he’s not yet ready to walk away from the game (he's 36 and wants to play until he's "at least 40," per Benjamin) so if there is any issue with re-signing in Boston he'd have to move on from the only franchise he's ever known.

“The way that I kind of feel about that is, as long as my body is holding up and I can compete at a high level then, yes,” Marchand said, via Shawn Hutcheon of The Fourth Period. “We’re very fortunate to play this game. We live a lot of kids’ dreams, and I live my dream every day.”

Over 1,029 NHL games, Marchand has accumulated 929 points (401 goals, 528 assists) along with 1,051 penalty minutes. He's also appeared in 157 postseason games scoring 56 goals and assisting 82 for 138 total points. He won the Stanley Cup in 2011.

1725798652402.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad