Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sidney Crosby to two year extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Pretty sure Sid is cognizant and self aware enough to know that takes him to the end of 3 more seasons with the Pens. I feel like he's the kind of guy that couldn't fathom being paid 8.7 mil a year and not being worth it, or worse, saddling down the team with that cap hit if he had to retire for any reason before that (depending on the build of the contract and if it would be a true 35+ ball buster, or not.)

Wants to see where he's at going into his 40-year old season and then go from there, I'm sure. Honestly, better for the Pens if god forbid (and I dont see it happening) he did fall off a cliff in season 2 or 3 of a longer deal and be saddled to that cap-hit for an extra season or two.

September 2027; Sidney Crosby Signs 2-year contract extension worth 8.7M (4.35 AAV)😍

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My take was not negative at all lol.

Just judging off of how Sid is, there is absolutely no way he's not playing until 42 minimum. I mean I could be wrong obviously, but that was my thought process.
I definitely think he’s hinted recently that he’s taking a wait and see approach with how long he wants to play

Reactions: metalan2

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Get this man some f***ing help for the tail end! Would love to be good enough in 26-27 to encourage Sid to keep going.

If the cap goes up to $92M, we’ll have upwards of $24M after this year to spread across two forwards and three defensemen. Hopefully some prospects (Ponomarev, Koivunen, Broz, Pickering) can finally start admirably filling roles too.

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-$-$
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

$-Karlsson
$-Letang
Graves-$

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My take was not negative at all lol.

Just judging off of how Sid is, there is absolutely no way he's not playing until 42 minimum. I mean I could be wrong obviously, but that was my thought process.
I do think he will evaluate after this extension is done but I also think there is a very real possibility this contract will end it for him unless we pull off a miracle and somehow have a good team in 3 years. He’s won all there is to win. Money has obviously never really motivated him.

For all the talk that he’s a hockey robot, I just don’t see him wanting to be 43 years old and playing with whatever version of Lasse Pirjeta and Jon Sim we have at that point. The franchise also won’t need him to survive like we did with Mario at that point in his career.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pretty sure Sid is cognizant and self aware enough to know that takes him to the end of 3 more seasons with the Pens. I feel like he's the kind of guy that couldn't fathom being paid 8.7 mil a year and not being worth it, or worse, saddling down the team with that cap hit if he had to retire for any reason before that (depending on the build of the contract and if it would be a true 35+ ball buster, or not.)

Wants to see where he's at going into his 40-year old season and then go from there, I'm sure. Honestly, better for the Pens if god forbid (and I dont see it happening) he did fall off a cliff in season 2 or 3 of a longer deal and be saddled to that cap-hit for an extra season or two.

September 2027; Sidney Crosby Signs 2-year contract extension worth 8.7M (4.35 AAV)😍

Tbh I still think Crosby would be worth $8.7 million at age 40. Probably even into his age 41 and 42 year old season too.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Tbh I still think Crosby would be worth $8.7 million at age 40. Probably even into his age 41 and 42 year old season too.
$8.7 million a year right now makes him the 42nd highest paid player in the league. Inflation affecting the cap in 3 more years probably takes $8.7 aav to the 55-65th place range to be conservative. Totally possible and maybe even more likely that he is still playing to that level by then.

Be interesting to see; Hoping he's still worth it over here.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think I said a while back even staying at 8.7 cap hit wise would be a raise for him over the last couple years. Since he was “only” making around 3 million a year.

I truly didn’t see him asking for any other cap hit, haha.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I would not be surprised if this is his last contract. Players tend to hit a wall in their late 30s, and though it hasn't happened to Sid yet, it's more likely to than not. He may well have more than 3 years left in the league, but time will tell.

On another note...this guy left so much money on the table in his career. I'm sure he's not exactly hurting financially, given his endorsements and such, but it's remarkable nonetheless.

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah this might be it for him. Selanne had a 80 point season at 40 but really fell off after that. I can’t think of anyone else who was that productive at that age. Howe but that was a much different time.

Anyways, we should enjoy the next 3 years. If he can stay relatively healthy he’s passing Mario.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I get that Sid cleans up on endorsements in Canada and all but I'd guess he's left $50-70 million on the table over the course of his career by taking what he's taken here. We are really fortunate.

giphy.gif

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Yeah this might be it for him. Selanne had a 80 point season at 40 but really fell off after that. I can’t think of anyone else who was that productive at that age. Howe but that was a much different time.

Anyways, we should enjoy the next 3 years. If he can stay relatively healthy he’s passing Mario.

It's worth noting Jagr had 66 points in 79 games in the 2015-16 season, during which he turned 44. Such an astounding player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad