Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Vesalainen can handle a puck and is a decent passer. Not assertive and his style is not for the NHL. Kupari is far behind skill wise
I disagree. What I saw from both of them in the NHL Kupari has much better puck handling, agility and speed. Vesalainen is the better passer and shooter (though he could never get his shot through, rendering it useless).

Neither one is aggressive enough, though I saw Kupari at least try to be physical - it was like Vesalainen was made out of glass or something.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I disagree. What I saw from both of them in the NHL Kupari has much better puck handling, agility and speed. Vesalainen is the better passer and shooter (though he could never get his shot through, rendering it useless).

Neither one is aggressive enough, though I saw Kupari at least try to be physical - it was like Vesalainen was made out of glass or something.
Agree. I see more upside for Kupari, especially in Arniel's high pressure system that relies on speed on the forecheck and back check.

Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agree. I see more upside for Kupari, especially in Arniel's high pressure system that relies on speed on the forecheck and back check.
I think the thing with Scott Arniel is everyone is going to have a role...I don't know where Kupari fits in honestly...He wasn't good on the draw. He wasn't good on the PK...David Gustafsson was better than him at both those things, and I think with Monahan gone, there is at least a chance that Gustafsson will take more draws, including some key defensive zone ones.

I think you can list the PKers on the team as Lowry and Barron for the top unit...Iafallo was the guy who moved up into Barron's spot in the playoffs, and did fine, that unit didn't get scored on the way Monahan's unit did. Samberg and De Melo are probably your top d pairing on the PK. After that it's tricky. Gustafsson has potential to be an impact PKer, he's generally pretty good in that role...Namestnikov and Appleton round it out...The fact Namestnikov is so bad on the draw gives Gustafsson an edge if you need that guy to win a big d-zone draw. The 2nd d pairing on the PK is the one I think gets a complete overhaul...Could be Stanley-Miller but who knows maybe Heinola is a better PP QB than Pionk, so for me that would be Pionk's spot in that case, leaving MIller out.

For me Kupari would have to show something he didn't last year...He seems capable of more, but maybe he isn't happy here, don't know what the story is and won't speculate.

PP guys, I don't know what the PP setup is going to look like but certainly there is room for somebody to move up...Perfetti has a decent chance I think of being on PP1 to start the season, but again maybe the alignment completely changes, though I think Vilardi is pretty safe being around the net.

I really like the idea of Brad Lambert getting on the 2nd PP opposite Ehlers, if Heinola is on that PP that's some good puck movement from the top...NIno in front of the net. Then it's Namestnikov or Pionk to finish out the group. Pionk on the PP would change where Lambert plays, likely closer to the net, unless of course Heinola doesn't earn a starting role.

I think there's a whole lot of uncertainty with multiple players, but you never know what a player is going to bring to the table in any given season, what injuries they may battle, so it's going to be an interesting TC.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a reminder that Lambert had some supporters in the prospect / draft world. Elite Prospects had him ranked at #14. Wheeler ranked him #8. I think Scouch had him at around #5. Overall, McKenzie's survey of scouts ranked him at #16 and the Elite Prospects consensus ranking had him at #14.

So, he seemed to drop a bit on the draft floor even after dropping on most lists through the season. Jets were fortunate and astute to pick him up at #30.

(Salomonsson is another player that dropped during that season, and he looks like a really nice value pick at #55).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Kupari is being a bit underrated here. He lacks refinement because he was rushed to the NHL, but he has great wheels, plays an aggressive game, and doesn't mind looking to make plays with the puck. He might be able to carve out a role like Appleton, who didn't really make a dent at the NHL level until he was 24 (Kupari's age going into next season).

Sure - but something is missing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the thing with Scott Arniel is everyone is going to have a role...I don't know where Kupari fits in honestly...He wasn't good on the draw. He wasn't good on the PK...David Gustafsson was better than him at both those things, and I think with Monahan gone, there is at least a chance that Gustafsson will take more draws, including some key defensive zone ones.

I think you can list the PKers on the team as Lowry and Barron for the top unit...Iafallo was the guy who moved up into Barron's spot in the playoffs, and did fine, that unit didn't get scored on the way Monahan's unit did. Samberg and De Melo are probably your top d pairing on the PK. After that it's tricky. Gustafsson has potential to be an impact PKer, he's generally pretty good in that role...Namestnikov and Appleton round it out...The fact Namestnikov is so bad on the draw gives Gustafsson an edge if you need that guy to win a big d-zone draw. The 2nd d pairing on the PK is the one I think gets a complete overhaul...Could be Stanley-Miller but who knows maybe Heinola is a better PP QB than Pionk, so for me that would be Pionk's spot in that case, leaving MIller out.

For me Kupari would have to show something he didn't last year...He seems capable of more, but maybe he isn't happy here, don't know what the story is and won't speculate.

PP guys, I don't know what the PP setup is going to look like but certainly there is room for somebody to move up...Perfetti has a decent chance I think of being on PP1 to start the season, but again maybe the alignment completely changes, though I think Vilardi is pretty safe being around the net.

I really like the idea of Brad Lambert getting on the 2nd PP opposite Ehlers, if Heinola is on that PP that's some good puck movement from the top...NIno in front of the net. Then it's Namestnikov or Pionk to finish out the group. Pionk on the PP would change where Lambert plays, likely closer to the net, unless of course Heinola doesn't earn a starting role.

I think there's a whole lot of uncertainty with multiple players, but you never know what a player is going to bring to the table in any given season, what injuries they may battle, so it's going to be an interesting TC.
The way you put this is pretty smart actually.

My main takeaway from reading this is actually not about the forwards at all.

If Ville is going to play over Stan, Morrissey is likely going to need to play on the PK more.

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just a reminder that Lambert had some supporters in the prospect / draft world. Elite Prospects had him ranked at #14. Wheeler ranked him #8. I think Scouch had him at around #5. Overall, McKenzie's survey of scouts ranked him at #16 and the Elite Prospects consensus ranking had him at #14.

So, he seemed to drop a bit on the draft floor even after dropping on most lists through the season. Jets were fortunate and astute to pick him up at #30.

(Salomonsson is another player that dropped during that season, and he looks like a really nice value pick at #55).

Sometimes those fallers are bargain picks. Other times they are bargain basement junk. You've got to be careful with them.

2 good picks by Jets though.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

McKenzie had Lambert at #3 (!!!) in his 2022 draft pre-season rankings.

Edit: Also worth noting in McKenzie’s 2022 pre-season rankings…
3. Lambert
12. McGroarty
14. Salomonsson
Zhilkin mentioned as one of four honorable mentions after 16… so you could consider him top 20.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

3. Lambert
12. McGroarty
14. Salomonsson
Zhilkin mentioned as one of four honorable mentions after 16… so you could consider him top 20.
Big draft for the Jets.

Lambert is still the player I have the hardest read on in terms of NHL potential. If he pops, he could be a 1/2 C sort of in the Barzal tier. But I think there's still a chance that he tops out at a 2/3 RW level. I've seen a lot of improvement in his vision and puck movement, and that's the area where there I had most concerns. I've never been that concerned about his motor, but he still needs to get bigger and stronger to fully realize his potential in forechecking and defensive play.

Salomonsson really only needed to improve his confidence and play with the puck, and he's made big improvements. His size, skating and all-zone D play are strong NHL-level assets.

McGroarty is sort of the "anti-Lambert" in development. He has NHL size and very good vision and smarts with the puck. His only real constraint is skating, and he'll likely be fine because of his style and other attributes.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The way you put this is pretty smart actually.

My main takeaway from reading this is actually not about the forwards at all.

If Ville is going to play over Stan, Morrissey is likely going to need to play on the PK more.
Miller or Heinola could take more PP minutes. Or Fleury, if playing 3RD could take the PK time instead of JoMo.

3. Lambert
12. McGroarty
14. Salomonsson
Makes you wonder how early they score a player and whether it changes less during the draft year than other teams' and evaluators's rankings.

Reactions: voyageur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad