Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
so this thread =
someone says something positive about getting lambert @ 30
random non jets fan comes in to tell them they are wrong and why he's bad and acts like his viewings are the only one's that matters like he's a world renowned scout

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Aho Struggled to produce. So did a lot of guys there first year in pro. I can think of a couple the top of my head. Roope Hinz,Kasperi Kapanen,Aho,Vesalainen,Rasmus Kupari,Roni Hirovonen. Quite a few of the kids drafted lately are not playing in the Liga and are playing Junior. Raty btw had a great 2nd year in the Liga and had a real good pro debut in the AHL for Bridgeport.

My theory is teams are desperate for talent and over play their kids. It seems likely considering Lambert's performance at the Juniors compared to his performance in Liga. He should have been with the u20 team
Problem with this theory is that Aho, Hintz and Kupari didn't actually "struggle to produce". All these guys actually produced quite well when you adjust their production to TOI. Don't know what Kapanen's TOI was, since Liiga website doesn't have TOI from before 2015 season, but Kapanen did play on a very low scoring team, so that most likely affected his production. Vesalainen only played 9 games in Liiga in his draft year and mostly played in SHL, which is a much better league than Liiga. Roni Hirvonen is definitely a guy who struggled to produce, but he was also a late 2nd round pick. Hirvonen is also a good two-way player, something that Lambert is definitely not.

I agree that Lambert should not have even been mostly playing in Liiga these past seasons. Should have spent entire 2020-2021 season in U20 Sm-Sarja or Mestis. This past season play some Liiga games and if he wasn't good enough, should have sent him back down. Or should have just gone to play in WHL.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
This is why we should not draft Finns. Our HF Jets community becomes a cesspool of negativity mainly from individuals who have no interest in our hockey club whatsoever but just come on over to stir the pot. Yes, everyone is entitltled to their opinion but saying the same negative things in post after post is tiresome.

We get it. Lambert is a bust that should never have been drafted into the NHL. Not even good enough for SM-liiga and will be out of hockey by age 21. He has great speed and will enter the car washing business at the Chamois but he may not even have the car washing IQ for that. Thanks for the scouting report.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dunno if it was in this thread or another thread where someone posted about stats of the 30th overall pick

Since 1969 30th overalls have played 12032 games for an average of 240 per player. I did removed the last 3 (2019-2021) 30th overalls since it might be to early to include them.
Ppg 0.41

Since the '05 lockout you're looking at 2912 gp or 208 per and 0.47 ppg. If you're looking at just fwds during that time frame it's 0.492 ppg.

Reactions: hn777

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Dunno if it was in this thread or another thread where someone posted about stats of the 30th overall pick

Since 1969 30th overalls have played 12032 games for an average of 240 per player. I did removed the last 3 (2019-2021) 30th overalls since it might be to early to include them.
Ppg 0.41

Since the '05 lockout you're looking at 2912 gp or 208 per and 0.47 ppg. If you're looking at just fwds during that time frame it's 0.492 ppg.

Averaging those games played over the entire pool doesn't accurately capture the likelihood of any given 30th overall pick playing 100 games.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
The thing that Lambert just really needs to fix is that puck hogging. Guy too often kills his own and his linemates' offense by trying to do it all by himself. Just make a better use of his linemates. That would already make him a way better player. But seems like that has always been his problem, so fixing it is probably easier said than done.

I remember back in 2021 WJC Finland's head coach Antti Pennanen publicly criticized Lambert and said something like "Once Lambert learns to play team game, he will be very good player." and then benched Lambert. Lambert came back and I think played better than previously, especially in terms of team game. But on the other hand, in Liiga he seemed to be given immunity to any kind of "rough treatment" (benching, being sent down, etc.) and just allowed to do same mistakes over and over again. So I think Lambert needs a "tough love" type coach who isn't gonna tolerate his (or his dad's) BS and force him to play a team game.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Averaging those games played over the entire pool doesn't accurately capture the likelihood of any given 30th overall pick playing 100 games.
No it doesn't. Wasn't my intent to check how many played 100 games. You can check how many 30th overall selections played that many games on hockey Db
Edit: 24, with 1 more expected next year (veleno)

Reactions: hn777

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
No it doesn't. Wasn't my intent to check how many played 100 games. You can check how many 30th overall selections played that many games on hockey Db

I only mentioned it because the context of the stats earlier in the thread was to show the probability of any pick at #30 playing >= 100 games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I only mentioned it because the context of the stats earlier in the thread was to show the probability of any pick at #30 playing >= 100 games.
Ah okay. Like I said I read it in one of the draft threads about wondering what the stats of a 30th overall pick. Couldn't find the exact post in this onebut thought I'd post it here. but anyway just more historical info.

Reactions: SLAYER

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Ah okay. Like I said I read it in one of the draft threads about wondering what the stats of a 30th overall pick. Couldn't find the exact post in this onebut thought I'd post it here. but anyway just more historical info.

They're definitely interesting stats, I love getting to analyze and play with data.

If we drafted the "average" #30 pick, we've done well for ourselves. I wonder what the "median" #30 pick would look like.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I’m afraid the Lambert pumping we’re going to endure will turn some people off. He was a gamble, many teams didn’t want to take it but we did. It could work out great and we could have a future star on our hands, but he would be a huge outlier if that were to happen.

He reminds me of Kirill Kabanov from 2010. Everyone was saying ‘if it was purely about skill, he’d be in contention for first overall’ or ‘if he had the year we expected he’d be a lock for top five’. Well, he wasn’t. The incessant pumping on HF by Isles fans who thought they get the ‘steal of the draft’ when he went 60th overall was nauseating. Excuse after excuse for three years, the kid was never close to being an NHL quality player.

I am really pulling for Lambert. If he goes out and has a great year in 22-23 I will be so excited. If he does not, it won’t be long before my view is very dim. Excuses be damned, he needs to have a good year or he’s destined for B league in Denmark. That’s what happens with most gambles.

Reactions: angrymnky

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I’m afraid the Lambert pumping we’re going to endure will turn some people off. He was a gamble, many teams didn’t want to take it but we did. It could work out great and we could have a future star on our hands, but he would be a huge outlier if that were to happen.

He reminds me of Kirill Kabanov from 2010. Everyone was saying ‘if it was purely about skill, he’d be in contention for first overall’ or ‘if he had the year we expected he’d be a lock for top five’. Well, he wasn’t. The incessant pumping on HF by Isles fans who thought they get the ‘steal of the draft’ when he went 60th overall was nauseating. Excuse after excuse for three years, the kid was never close to being an NHL quality player.

I am really pulling for Lambert. If he goes out and has a great year in 22-23 I will be so excited. If he does not, it won’t be long before my view is very dim. Excuses be damned, he needs to have a good year or he’s destined for B league in Denmark. That’s what happens with most gambles.
How good was/is Kabanov's skating? I don't really agree with Lambert being a "gamble". His skating is so good that just because of that I could see him being an NHL player. I'm not sure if you're just exaggareting, but I really don't think Lambert is ever going to be "destined for B league in Denmark". His skating is simply too good for him to end up there.

I think a lot of Lambert's projection depends on what is going on inside his head. Is he willing to change his game style to be more team friendly? Does he know how to that? How much is his dad "running the show" behind the scenes and how much is that affecting Brad? I'm not Brad Lambert, so I don't know the answer to these questions.

Reactions: kellhunter

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is why we should not draft Finns. Our HF Jets community becomes a cesspool of negativity mainly from individuals who have no interest in our hockey club whatsoever but just come on over to stir the pot. Yes, everyone is entitltled to their opinion but saying the same negative things in post after post is tiresome.

We get it. Lambert is a bust that should never have been drafted into the NHL. Not even good enough for SM-liiga and will be out of hockey by age 21. He has great speed and will enter the car washing business at the Chamois but he may not even have the car washing IQ for that. Thanks for the scouting report.
Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate.

Lambert has some of the best stickhandling and skating mechanics in the draft, and I'd say he just is the best skater of the draft period, with strong potential to improve further at it. There's a lot of work to be done, of course. I feel like with his stickhandling and skating he has a lot of room to improve and he's not a lost cause.

Jukurit's agenda seems to be hating every Finnish prospect and Ippenator's seems to be to pump Laine's tires by putting every other Finnish prospect down so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Lambert has some of the best stickhandling and skating mechanics in the draft, and I'd say he just is the best skater of the draft period, with strong potential to improve further at it. There's a lot of work to be done, of course. I feel like with his stickhandling and skating he has a lot of room to improve and he's not a lost cause.

Jukurit's agenda seems to be hating every Finnish prospect and Ippenator's seems to be to pump Laine's tires by putting every other Finnish prospect down so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Not much different than the Maurice and Wheeler fanboys here :popcorn::laugh:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How good was/is Kabanov's skating? I don't really agree with Lambert being a "gamble". His skating is so good that just because of that I could see him being an NHL player. I'm not sure if you're just exaggareting, but I really don't think Lambert is ever going to be "destined for B league in Denmark". His skating is simply too good for him to end up there.

I think a lot of Lambert's projection depends on what is going on inside his head. Is he willing to change his game style to be more team friendly? Does he know how to that? How much is his dad "running the show" behind the scenes and how much is that affecting Brad? I'm not Brad Lambert, so I don't know the answer to these questions.
His skating was considered ‘fantastic’. He was compared to Kovalchuk by Central Scouting. Started the season at the top of the rankings. Had a terrible year and everyone blamed it on his dad. Sounds familiar.

He’s still playing. B league in Denmark.

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

Your agenda is pumping Aron Kiviharju's tires.

His skating was considered ‘fantastic’. He was compared to Kovalchuk by Central Scouting. Started the season at the top of the rankings. Had a terrible year and everyone blamed it on his dad. Sounds familiar.

He’s still playing. B league in Denmark.

Did he have any injuries? Seems to have missed decent amount of games in his career, so did he decline because of those?

Reactions: Ippenator

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Your agenda is pumping Aron Kiviharju's tires.

Did he have any injuries? Seems to have missed decent amount of games in his career, so did he decline because of those?
He had a wrist injury in his D1 or D2 year but he was already going the wrong direction. He didn’t have any good years beyond his 16 year old season unfortunately. He was also suspended by his teams a few times for selfish behaviour. Sleeping in, not showing up at meetings, etc. He had some issues between the ears for sure. At first it was blamed on his dad but eventually some personal accountability takes over and his excuses evaporate.

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He had a wrist injury in his D1 or D2 year but he was already going the wrong direction. He didn’t have any good years beyond his 16 year old season unfortunately. He was also suspended by his teams a few times for selfish behaviour. Sleeping in, not showing up at meetings, etc. He had some issues between the ears for sure. At first it was blamed on his dad but eventually some personal accountability takes over and his excuses evaporate.
I haven't heard of Lambert having a lot of issues like this, but he did get suspended for showing middle finger to opposing team's bench:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Shows how uneven the distribution of games played is, a small number of players probably account for the vast majority of the games played while the majority of players don't have much of an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad