Rumor: Brad close to signing 3 yr extension

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Fresh off finally scoring his first goal of the season, career No. 402, Brad Marchand Saturday night flatly denied a media report that he is close to signing a contract extension with the Bruins, one that veteran Toronto-based reporter Elliotte Friedman suggested on Canadian TV would cover three more seasons.

Typically an engaging and eager talker, Marchand wanted no part of the contract dialogue, though he made clear he was aware of the three-year term noted in Friedman’s report.

“That report from Elliotte,” stated Marchand, after poking home the OT game winner (4-3) vs. the Leafs at the Garden, “is false.”

“Elliotte,” Marchand added a few seconds later, “is just wrong there.”

For those keeping track of cash and cap figures at home, the highly-respected Friedman is rarely, if ever, off the mark. He is one of the small gaggle of reporters wired directly to the game’s biggest agents such as Wade Arnott, Marchand’s representative of record.

Marchand, 36, will sign a new deal soon – both he and GM Don Sweeney have said since the summer that they are committed to getting it done. Three years is the likely term, and logical payout (spitballing here) would be in the $10-$12M range, albeit with achievable performance bonuses ultimately determining the final gross value of the deal.

Ahead of 2022-23, then team captain Patrice Bergeron signed a one-year/$5M pact that Sweeney hammered out around $1M in signing bonus, $1.5M in guaranteed salary and $2.5M worth of performance bonuses.

More to come on all that, probably sooner rather than later, and don’t be surprised if the intrepid Friedman nailed it.

Marchand currently is on target to be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, upon the expiration of his current 8-year/$49M pact that, in typical Marchand style, he outperformed.

Meanwhile, rarely noted in the ever-lengthening narrative around Marchand is the fact that this year or next he should record his 1,000th NHL point. The former third-round draft pick (No. 71) in 2006 now has 935 career points, fourth best in his draft class, and one day soon will join an elite four-figure group that today numbers only 98 NHLers.

“You could tell how happy our bench was when he scored that goal,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, who awarded his group with a day of rest on Sunday. “He’s our leader. And he’s someone that embodies what it is to be a Bruin – the way he carries himself on the ice, off the ice, everything . . . and he’s our captain.”

Question of the day, with no easy answer: Once Marchand chooses to retire, who’s your pick to wear the ‘C’?

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
3 yrs in the 10-12 range? Yeah no. Love Marchand but he is definitely not the player he was. Same cap or lower year by year I could see, but three years is nuts

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I think what he means there is total value overall. Similar to Bergeron. Say 1.5 salary and 2 to 2.5 over 35 performance bonus.
Yeah I caught that afterwards. Still 3 years is too long not sure his body will hold up. He is getting caught more with big hits. He just can’t hard cut like he used to. I can’t expect that will get better

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yeah I caught that afterwards. Still 3 years is too long not sure his body will hold up. He is getting caught more with big hits. He just can’t hard cut like he used to. I can’t expect that will get better

Father Time is certainly undefeated.
But I think if later in the season he has performed I’m ok with 3 years.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Overall, I'm OK with an extension if it comes cheap. I'm not thrilled with what I've been seeing this year.

I just don't want to see him in another jersey.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Father Time is certainly undefeated.
But I think if later in the season he has performed I’m ok with 3 years.

That is where I am with this as well: let's see how he does through the rest of year. Is his poor start down to surgeries and time missed training, is it too many hard miles on his body, or a combination of both? If it is the last one, how much of one versus the other? There really is no rush for the team to do anything right now.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If it’s a multi-year deal, I don’t believe Marchand will be eligible for performance bonuses. I think that would be the issue with a 3-year deal as it can limit your cap flexibility.

Personally, I want him here for another decade. But I get those preferring year-to-year.

He is eligible as an over 35 contract. Like Bergy , Krejci and Chara before him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I do hope that there’s no crossover between those who didn’t want to pay Swayman because “he hadn’t earned it” and those who don’t want to pay Marchand because they don’t think his future performance will warrant his salary.
I think you pay for future performance. The past is a good indicator as far as value and trajectory, but you pay a 25 year old franchise goalie franchise money. Brad Marchand will be 37 when his extension kicks in. Apples and oranges IMO. When Marchand signed his last deal, I would have had no issue with 8mil.... He signed for less, which was great but I'm not paying him more now at this age because of that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He is eligible as an over 35 contract. Like Bergy , Krejci and Chara before him.
Doesn't that only benefit you year one and come back to haunt you the year after the contract ends provided the player hits the goals with cap bonuses, which will be slam dunks I am assuming for Marchand? Bergeron and Krejci killed them last cap.

I believe so which is why most everyone here wants 1 year at a time.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think you pay for future performance. The past is a good indicator as far as value and trajectory, but you pay a 25 year old franchise goalie franchise money. Brad Marchand will be 37 when his extension kicks in. Apples and oranges IMO. When Marchand signed his last deal, I would have had no issue with 8mil.... He signed for less, which was great but I'm not paying him more now at this age because of that.
I agree with you. Had no problem with paying Swayman. And as much as I love Marshy, I wouldn’t want to see a raise on his next deal.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Marchand signs a three year deal but ends up retiring before the contract is due, does it not come off the books? If it does, then we shouldn't be worried if it's a multi year deal as long as the Bruins know they most likely can't depend on him being a top 6 performer in his late 30s and need to find a replacement.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If Marchand signs a three year deal but ends up retiring before the contract is due, does it not come off the books? If it does, then we shouldn't be worried if it's a multi year deal as long as the Bruins know they most likely can't depend on him being a top 6 performer in his late 30s and need to find a replacement.
His cap hit will continue to count against the cap even if he retires before the end of it.

EDIT: Unless this has changed! I don’t like speaking in definitive terms… you could very well be right. In looking this up this morning, my post is correct. But I’m googling. Hardly an authority.

Reactions: PB37

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Marchand refuted the rumor, but assuming they actually are talking about 3 years, that fits pretty neatly into my theory that the plan this summer was to really go for it for 3 more years. A new 3 year deal to Marchand goes one year beyond that window, but it would bring a lower cap hit in exchange for term. All things in a vacuum, he is probably more at the point in his career where he should be taking successive 1 year deals like Recchi and Chara did.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
@Aussie Bruin Sweeney has a mandate from ownership to keep the team competitive and to avoid what happened in Chicago
I don't beleive signing Brad to a 3 year contract will help keep the B's competitive, and if anything quite the opposite. My guess is that the money used on Brad for the next 3 years, unless extremely cheap, could be used better elsewhere. I think his production will drop quickly, and other than leadership there isn't much else he'll bring.

The fan in me says Yeah, 3 more years of Brad, the last link.
The business fan in me say, better be super cap friendly, 2 - 3 million a year.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
His cap hit will continue to count against the cap even if he retires before the end of it.

EDIT: Unless this has changed! I don’t like speaking in definitive terms… you could very well be right. In looking this up this morning, my post is correct. But I’m googling. Hardly an authority.

Wikipedia entry from last year says that because it's a +35 signed contract, the full contract hit will still be charged to the team but with the way they worded it, i don't know if that's a lump sum made payable to the player or if the team is still on the hook per year with the contract counting towards the cap.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
100% want Marchy to retire a Bruin and play here till he see's fit.

But you gotta pay him what he's worth now/in the future. Not pay him based off what he's done.

Will more than likely be a very good third line guy next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad