Confirmed with Link: Boyle to Isles for 2015 5th round conditional draft pick. 4th if signed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
So my question is.....
Why did DW come out and say they were NOT retaining Boyle at all anyway? Wouldn't it have been smarter to play it like they were interested ...for a higher return?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I'm not surprised DW did this, at least we get get something for a player we are not going to sign.

That being said, i would be sure Boyle would want to play for a contending team and while i'm sure he's interested in any and all offers that it will come to can we win a cup with that team or not. I do think he'd be a good fit as he has a cup, good on the PP, average defensive player/3rd or 2nd pairing player, leadership, etc.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Isles can't "deal" Boyle, they can only deal his negotiating rights. At least if I am reading the original post correctly. Boyle is still Sharks property as a player, but they have dealt the right to negotiate his next contract to the Isles.

I would guess in theory that the Isle could turn around and deal those rights to someone else. Whether DW has built in a clause that if they do so it counts as a "signing" I have no idea.

That isn't correct at all. Boyle is Islanders property as a player. The Islanders can choose to negotiate with him and sign a new contract if they wish. If they don't, Boyle will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So my question is.....
Why did DW come out and say they were NOT retaining Boyle at all anyway? Wouldn't it have been smarter to play it like they were interested ...for a higher return?

I don't think stringing a respected vet like Boyle along would be worth the difference between a 5th rounder and a 4th rounder. Never mind the fans.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
That isn't correct at all. Boyle is Islanders property as a player. The Islanders can choose to negotiate with him and sign a new contract if they wish. If they don't, Boyle will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

The NHL.com article says explicitly "The San Jose Sharks traded the rights to defenseman Dan Boyle to the New York Islanders on Thursday for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft."

Now maybe because the Sharks season is over Boyle is no longer considered a Sharks player and all they "own" are his negotiating rights. But the article is explicitly saying "traded the rights" and not "traded Boyle".

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The NHL.com article says explicitly "The San Jose Sharks traded the rights to defenseman Dan Boyle to the New York Islanders on Thursday for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft."

Now maybe because the Sharks season is over Boyle is no longer considered a Sharks player and all they "own" are his negotiating rights. But the article is explicitly saying "traded the rights" and not "traded Boyle".

It is due to the Sharks season being over and since his contract is up is no longer being considered a player. When you trade the rights, you trade the player...it is one and the same.

Oppa

#
Oct 31, 2011
Same thing happened with Stuart if I'm not mistaken. They get the rights.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Maybe the Sharks will get a Marcus Ragnarsson or Miikka Kiprusoff with this 5th :naughty:

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
It is due to the Sharks season being over and since his contract is up is no longer being considered a player. When you trade the rights, you trade the player...it is one and the same.

That's cool then. I thought Boyle would remain a SJ "player" until the entire NHL season was over (Cup series ends), not just until their season was over.

It's a minor difference.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's cool then. I thought Boyle would remain a SJ "player" until the entire NHL season was over (Cup series ends), not just until their season was over.

It's a minor difference.

Nah, he's moved to the Islanders' roster and contract limits and all that. Doesn't make much of a difference to the player since their season is already over but Sharks don't keep anything with this move.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You can trade players at any time, there is no trade deadline. The only issue is that if you trade for a player after the explicit trade deadline, that player can not play for our team until the start of the next season

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You can trade players at any time, there is no trade deadline. The only issue is that if you trade for a player after the explicit trade deadline, that player can not play for our team until the start of the next season

I'm thinking that's not right...I think teams are prohibited from trading between the trade deadline and when both clubs are eliminated from the playoffs.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Boyle seems more concerned about winning than he does with getting a final payday. That said if the Islanders are willing to give him a 3 year contract he will probably stay just because he believes he has a lot left in the tank.
They may have to, but paying until he is 40... ouch.

He wants to win, and hates to lose... So i think it will be more about the direction Garth sells than the money he offers. Might have to make a move before July 1st to show Boyle the club is serious about winning.
The hope is we will be contenders as the core gets older, but that isn't happening before he retires. The meat of our defensive prospect pool is still in the AHL/overseas, and that is going to be the lynchpin.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought/was hoping he'd fetch a bigger return but hopefully we can use this pick to trade up since it'll be a loaded draft. Farewell Boyle, you will be missed.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I thought/was hoping he'd fetch a bigger return but hopefully we can use this pick to trade up since it'll be a loaded draft. Farewell Boyle, you will be missed.

How? He's not signed and can leave from the Isles on July 1st if he wants. Its a pretty good return.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Boyle is going to be a pretty big UFA. He will probably get a two year ten million in total payday. I don't think he will sign

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I would have been happy with a 7th round pick. I was expecting nothing for Boyle. Everyone knew he was not going to be re-signed here.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
The Isles can't "deal" Boyle, they can only deal his negotiating rights. At least if I am reading the original post correctly. Boyle is still Sharks property as a player, but they have dealt the right to negotiate his next contract to the Isles.

I would guess in theory that the Isle could turn around and deal those rights to someone else. Whether DW has built in a clause that if they do so it counts as a "signing" I have no idea.

THey most ikely will be able to deal Boyle's rights - they being the Islanders. It happens alot actually.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
THey most ikely will be able to deal Boyle's rights - they being the Islanders. It happens alot actually.

Yeah, I recall the Islanders trading for Ehrhoff's rights but couldn't get a deal done. They subsequently traded his rights to Buffalo.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
neutral-its-something.png

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64

We get at least a 5th in a deep draft for 1 month of boyle on vacation. Thats not bad especially considering Boyle's dropoff this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad