Confirmed with Link: Bowman is the new Oilers GM, Quenneville reinstated

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am curious who will be first GM to make trade with him

He will have to deal with the Canada "NTC/NMC" factor around league that would not have been issue he had to deal with in Chicago

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
With regard to 2010

1) Kevin Hayes decided not to sign with Hawks, not sure what you expected Hawks to do when a guy who if he would have signed would have been our #1 prospect decides he isn't signing

2) Nordstrom was solid depth player who was a part of 2015 SC winning team. When your 3rd rounder plays 444 games (+46 Playoff games) that is great value for any team at draft

Did Hawks blow alot of draft capital that year? Yes, and not signing Holl turned out to be mistake but overall can't really blame Bowman for Hayes situation IMO at this point looking back

With regards to 2011

1) Are we pretending Andrew Shaw does't exist?

And Teravainen made big impact in 2015

Again the biggest problem was asset management of young talent. Trading away Danault, Teravainen, etc is where problem lies and why team ultimately fell apart

Hayes should have been button up earlier. Trading the 30th pick...(Brock Nelson) for Rensfeldt and Simpson, aka two busts. There is your center depth to cover for Bollands back, and not needing to trade for Vermette in 15.

Trading a pick, or anything besides an old orange juice bottle for Diamond dave Rundblad.

What did the Buff and Ladd trades amount to ? I am glad they cleaned house, and am all for
what Davidson is doing.

The window was from 09-16. So I look at those drafts, and yes 08-09 under Tallon was awful too.

Stan Bowman had/has any NHL job solely based upon his father.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
With regard to 2010

1) Kevin Hayes decided not to sign with Hawks, not sure what you expected Hawks to do when a guy who if he would have signed would have been our #1 prospect decides he isn't signing

2) Nordstrom was solid depth player who was a part of 2015 SC winning team. When your 3rd rounder plays 444 games (+46 Playoff games) that is great value for any team at draft

Did Hawks blow alot of draft capital that year? Yes, and not signing Holl turned out to be mistake but overall can't really blame Bowman for Hayes situation IMO at this point looking back

With regards to 2011

1) Are we pretending Andrew Shaw does't exist?

And Teravainen made big impact in 2015

Again the biggest problem was asset management of young talent. Trading away Danault, Teravainen, etc is where problem lies and why team ultimately fell apart
Worth noting if Hayes signed in 2014 or 15 we wouldn’t have been desperate for a 2C so no Anisimov trade in the 15 offseason as we would have a capable 2C already and Arty would have been redundant

Reactions: hawksrule

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Worth noting if Hayes signed in 2014 or 15 we wouldn’t have been desperate for a 2C so no Anisimov trade in the 15 offseason as we would have a capable 2C already and Arty would have been redundant
They might of not signed Brad Richards too

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I am curious who will be first GM to make trade with him

He will have to deal with the Canada "NTC/NMC" factor around league that would not have been issue he had to deal with in Chicago
To take it a step further, I wonder how many deals Stan and KD make considering they're both going to be in their roles for the foreseeable future.

Not only that, Stan had a history of trading with guys he worked with. Dale and Chevy in particular.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To take it a step further, I wonder how many deals Stan and KD make considering they're both going to be in their roles for the foreseeable future.

Not only that, Stan had a history of trading with guys he worked with. Dale and Chevy in particular.

Maybe one of the guys he drafted in last drafts he has interest in

There isn't much on NHL roster left and those guys are generally unmovable, nor can Oilers afford them (Jones + Murphy)

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym

I could probably see him go for Reichel if it becomes clearer that he's not a part of our future. The same could be said about what's left of his guys in the org.

I'm in genuine disbelief he got another chance.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I could probably see him go for Reichel if it becomes clearer that he's not a part of our future. The same could be said about what's left of his guys in the org.

I'm in genuine disbelief he got another chance.
I'm not in disbelief he got a job. I'm just surprised he got a GM job right away. I figured he'd take on a lesser role like advisor, AGM, etc., and then have to work his way back.

But it is what it is.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So who hires Q first?

Does he take first offer he gets or waits a bit and picks his spot, he probably wins a cup with the Panthers if this didn't happen that might sting a bit for him

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So who hires Q first?

Does he take first offer he gets or waits a bit and picks his spot, he probably wins a cup with the Panthers if this didn't happen that might sting a bit for him

Probably has to sit until a coach on contender gets fired for team underperforming

Though it's possible he may just take whatever offer he gets

At best Q probably only has 3-4 left coaching so while he would want to join contender, I imagine he takes whatever he can get from anywhere next summer if there aren't any high-profile gigs available just to get back in one final time

Last edited:

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
If investigating a serial rapist on your coaching staff is "a distraction we can't have on a Cup run", what would it be to hire Q? Not a distraction?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Probably has to sit until a coach on contender gets fired for team underperforming

Though it's possible he may just take whatever offer he gets

At best Q probably only has 3-4 left coaching so while he would want to join contender, I imagine he takes whatever he can get from anywhere next summer if there aren't any high-profile gigs available just to get back in one final time.
From a timing perspective - the NHL didn't do Q any favors by reinstating him after like 6-7 teams had just changed their coach.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
To be fair they waited until start of new NHL business year (July 1st)

I dont think it was unreasonable for NHL to officially reinstate them until start of new year
That's fair. The challenge is that 90% of the open positions were filled by 7/1, with only the Jackets hiring Evanson after that point.

It's also possible that Q knew he was going to be reinstated prior to the 7/1 date, so his agent could touch base with teams to let them know he was available.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
who was responsible for Antti Niemi? That was a great pickup.
he signed when Tallon was GM iirc but Stan should get some credit for being willing to stick with Niemi in 2010 when a lot of people wanted someone established like Vokoun, he also found a way to get rid of the Huet and Campbell contract the following two offseasons which extended the window for sure, the returns on Ladd and Buff were definitely not good though

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
he signed when Tallon was GM iirc but Stan should get some credit for being willing to stick with Niemi in 2010 when a lot of people wanted someone established like Vokoun, he also found a way to get rid of the Huet and Campbell contract the following two offseasons which extended the window for sure, the returns on Ladd and Buff were definitely not good though
Those type of cap dump trades almost never end well. Those were especially bad, but when everyone knows you HAVE to move salary your hands are tied.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Good memory. I remember the Vokoun discussions when I was still listening to sports radio

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Q cleaned up the mess that Keenan left in St Louis and Blues improved tremendously under him

Went from average/above average teams (look at mid 90's Blues) to going to a Conf final and being among best in West during his time

Problem of course is powerhouse Wing/Avalanche/Stars teams happened to play in West during that time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00