Boston Pens no goal call

TerraFeeshMD

Dec 22, 2008
That should be a GI call. So I think they made the right call there.

How can you possibly view that video and think that?

The rule you stated earlier about "if you are in the crease not touching the goalie but are pushed in by a defender, then it is still goalie interference" is not true. If you think it is, please point me to that rule.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The issue really isn't a likely meaningless point in a regular season game, its that the refs get blatantly worse every year and the whole league suffers for it. if the pens wanted to get calls they should have never signed Downie... since the refs hate him badly and he mouths off to them non stop... after all its not like they should be accountable to be unbiased regardless of personal feeling or anything... right?

I mean watch any NHL team with a rookie on the roster and tell me that refs wont call total BS on that guy moreso than most any established vet and tell me how that is being fair or unbiased... they are terrible and always have been. I cannot wait till the day they replace them all with robot sensors or something... anything outside of blind chimpanzees would be better, and even that would be at worse equal to what they have now... end rant...

Church of Toews*

Breaking news: a controversial goal helped a team win a game i don't think i have ever seen an instance such as this happen in the league before....oh wait i have stuff like this happens all the time, look at the goals detroit got by the puck landing in the netting or even Jeff Carters goal that sparked the kings comeback win in game 7 of the WCF last year. stuff like this happens all the time just be happy it wasn't a playoff game.

greatwhitemark1117*

As a Pens fan, you know what I can appreciate? Many Bruins fans have admitted that it was the wrong call. Many times people come on here to argue tooth and nail. With that , I say stuff happens and move on.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
How can you possibly view that video and think that?

The rule you stated earlier about "if you are in the crease not touching the goalie but are pushed in by a defender, then it is still goalie interference" is not true. If you think it is, please point me to that rule.

I didn't say that was the rule. I said that's how it generally gets called. They want to prevent attacking players from standing in the crease. Any player can stand in the crease, feel a nudge, and throw himself into the goalie in order to look innocent.

In any case, an attacking player should never be in the crease if the puck isn't.

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
The issue really isn't a likely meaningless point in a regular season game, its that the refs get blatantly worse every year and the whole league suffers for it. if the pens wanted to get calls they should have never signed Downie... since the refs hate him badly and he mouths off to them non stop... after all its not like they should be accountable to be unbiased regardless of personal feeling or anything... right?

I mean watch any NHL team with a rookie on the roster and tell me that refs wont call total BS on that guy moreso than most any established vet and tell me how that is being fair or unbiased... they are terrible and always have been. I cannot wait till the day they replace them all with robot sensors or something... anything outside of blind chimpanzees would be better, and even that would be at worse equal to what they have now... end rant...

I really get disappointed when refs get crucified sometimes. If anyone has watched an NBA game in the past decade, you deal with absurd and tolerated fixing of games. Baseball umpires become pariahs and football referees have to put a thesis in to explain a call that they probably got wrong in the first place.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Breaking news: a controversial goal helped a team win a game i don't think i have ever seen an instance such as this happen in the league before....oh wait i have stuff like this happens all the time, look at the goals detroit got by the puck landing in the netting or even Jeff Carters goal that sparked the kings comeback win in game 7 of the WCF last year. stuff like this happens all the time just be happy it wasn't a playoff game.

Or we can hope for better officiating, what a novel concept.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I really get disappointed when refs get crucified sometimes. If anyone has watched an NBA game in the past decade, you deal with absurd and tolerated fixing of games. Baseball umpires become pariahs and football referees have to put a thesis in to explain a call that they probably got wrong in the first place.

Basketball refs typically have a double standard for Star players. one did get nabbed for fixing games, which likely has happened in every sport throughout the years, maybe not to that extent though...

Baseball umps call the strikes differently for every player, which is bad. They also like to make themselves more theatrical than they need to moreso than any other sports ref. they usually get the subtle rules calls right though.

football refs get tons wrong and miss tons too, but at least they have a lot more moving parts to watch and have more subjective rules to follow.

NHL refs have always been openly biased and absolutely even up calls. in every other sport you do not see a ref looking to make a call at a certain point or in a certain situation. You could script an NHL penalty call... they are through and through the worse

Church of Toews*

Or we can hope for better officiating, what a novel concept.

I never said that I was ok with the officiating I saw my team get eliminated by a bad goal (thanks carter :cry: ) But that being said refs are human and may make mistakes, that being said its the regular season rather see these kinds of mistakes now than in april/may.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't say that was the rule. I said that's how it generally gets called. They want to prevent attacking players from standing in the crease. Any player can stand in the crease, feel a nudge, and throw himself into the goalie in order to look innocent.

In any case, an attacking player should never be in the crease if the puck isn't.

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

Are you serious with that bolded part? (1) he is not even doing that. (2) he doesn't intentionally or deliberate contact Rask; Rask's defender (McQuaid) does by pushing Sill into him. It's clear as day.

Sill doesn't initiate contact on purpose; McQUAID DID

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Doesnt get any mire obvious than this

sfnX7mo.gif

I really gotta say as a Pens fan this GIF makes the stick look below the crossbar. The goalie interference was pretty crap, and the flop was funny, but it happens. Every one on this board agrees GI should be review-able, and many Bruins fans seemed to agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad