Boston Pens no goal call

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I don't see why that is bothersome? Pretty bang-bang play, and it's not like you can say he was definitively wrong.

I don't think the ref could have seen if it was off Despres or not in real time, but he must have seen that the stick was way too high. That should be a no goal call for me, and then you go to video review and determine who actually touched it last.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not saying the refs didn't screw it up, I'm just saying you can't tell at all if it was actually a good goal or not (AKA did the Penguins get screwed on this one?). The refs didn't handle it well at all either way, agreed.

It doesn't matter what I can tell (although from the above gif, you clearly can tell that it was off the stick and above the bar).

What I'm saying is: according to the ref, they were able to determine it hit the stick (and, again, that's correct based on the above gif), if they determined it hit the stick, it HAS to be a high stick.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
They showed some clips from the side and looked more that way. If you look at it from behind of course it's going to look like the puck hit the stick. Either way though, that was probably one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long time. Goals that shouldn't/should have been called off, and a ton of missed penalties. The refs were so blind they couldn't even give a better explanation in OT.

The above gif shows it clearly hit Bergy's stick. It may still have hit Despres' glove, but that wouldn't negate the high stick. It could have hit both, but it definitely didn't hit JUST the glove.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Inconclusive would've atleast made sense. It continues to be amusing how the technology available to the war room is apparently less useful then someone with the capability to blow up an image in photoshop 5 minutes after the game ends.

The real controversy is once again how many more pages this thread would be at had the teams been reversed. Hfboards typical.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The above gif shows it clearly hit Bergy's stick. It may still have hit Despres' glove, but that wouldn't negate the high stick. It could have hit both, but it definitely didn't hit JUST the glove.

It looks to me that it hit his stick just below the blade then went off his glove. If that's still a high stick then they got it wrong.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Pens were robbed of a point tonight. Both calls on those "goals" were probably wrong, which sucks.. Just that kind of game, also those goalposts, it happens... Well, so we lost a point, which doesn´t really matter.. the biggest shame is Bruins getting those two tonight, they had no business winning this game. They were outplayed and still won with these calls.

Xavier Laflamme*

Just a piss poor job of officiating tonight and the Bruins benefited greatly. It's not some conspiracy to **** the Pens as the Bruins have had some horrible calls for their way this season as well but tonight, they can finally thank the refs for gifting them a win tonight.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
It's okay to admit it was a bad call. They aren't going to change it now.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Pens were robbed of a point tonight. Both calls on those "goals" were probably wrong, which sucks.. Just that kind of game, also those goalposts, it happens... Well, so we lost a point, which doesn´t really matter.. the biggest shame is Bruins getting those two tonight, they had no business winning this game. They were outplayed and still won with these calls.

IFc2YPu.gif

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I took a screenshot from the video feed right before impact. The puck is clearly over Despres hand which was moving in an upwards trajectory. 2 possible things happened. Either the puck hit Despres hand, went up and was directed down by Marchand or the puck went over the hand and hit Marchands stick. Either way, the stick had to hit it, if the puck only went off Despres hand it would have gone over the net.

Capture.pnghttp:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It looks to me that it hit his stick just below the blade then went off his glove. If that's still a high stick then they got it wrong.

If my understanding of the rule is correct, then yes that should still be a high stick no goal.

Meob

May 1, 2012
They showed some clips from the side and looked more that way. If you look at it from behind of course it's going to look like the puck hit the stick. Either way though, that was probably one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long time. Goals that shouldn't/should have been called off, and a ton of missed penalties. The refs were so blind they couldn't even give a better explanation in OT.

Lol, what? Of course it's going to look like it went off the stick from behind? Huh? That was the best angle and it's clearly nowhere near the glove. Not to mention it's not going to deflect down when a glove punches it.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Like the poster above, It's not the point the Penguins didn't get that bothers me, it's the 2 points that the Bruins got that people should be upset about.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
looks inconclusive and I don't know why they didn't call it that way

Bergeron is standing almost straight up and that's making contact next to his shoulder at the lowest. There is no way that is less that 4 feet high.

TerraFeeshMD

Dec 22, 2008
How come an HF poster can easily find a conclusive replay and the billion dollar league can't figure it out...

Because it would take too long. It's easy when you are sitting at a computer and have 15 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad