Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The goalie excuse is so comical, when the Leafs offense has not scored 3 goals since dinosaurs existed. And this is with four $11M+ forwards.

If the goalie allows more than one goal, it’s game over.
Agreed, but "getting goalied" or having a bad goalie has been the reason they've lost every playoff game pretty much since this "new era" of Leafs began. It is comical and IMO pathetic, but that's how it is.

It's easier to blame one player than a bunch of them that put up good numbers in the regular season.

Only because he was more effective than 50% of the team, one of which was the Captain, and the other being Marner.
Like I said, he has the best deal in the league and some others when you consider some other factors.

• Haha
Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I follow both the Bruins and Sabres (weird combo I know)...also a pre-04 Red Sox fan, I know how badly it sucks to lose in heartbreaking fashion so often. As a result I've developed a soft spot for Leaf fans. The cool ones anyway. Been there. You've been good sports through this series. Chin up, I hope you guys have something to cheer for in the future..so as long as you don't have to go through my teams :laugh:. I meant what I said last night, you guys are way cooler than Habs fans. Peace out

Reactions: PainForShane

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
getting pretty savage on line right now, Amusing to hear and watch certain TO media talk about not offering Hyman the money he wanted. For me--Leaf fans and media can be all over MM but I think JT is the bigger problem.

MM has 13 more pts in the playoffs in the last 3 years than JT has.

I think leaf fans and media are afraid to savage either AM or JT. MM is an easy mark. He is not flashy but he is good and what he does

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
getting pretty savage on line right now, Amusing to hear and watch certain TO media talk about not offering Hyman the money he wanted. For me--Leaf fans and media can be all over MM but I think JT is the bigger problem.

I think leaf fans and media are afraid to savage either AM or JT. MM is an easy mark. He is not flashy but he is good and what he does

Tavares was always over-rated. He was about the only thing the Islanders had going at the time though - so he was a Top 10 C in the league...I guess.

Once he signed in Toronto - he became a media darling and above criticism.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Marner's been the target for years. The leaf media will not talk badly of AM ever. JT was previous GM's mistake that lead to their bad internal salary structure in the first place.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I want to feel bad for Leafs fans, but then I see the first 2 posts from Leafs fans in this thread are putting it on their goaltending. I guess a little bad for the ones that realize that there's more money spent on 2 invisible forwards than there is on their entire blueline.
well every fan base has their shitty fans. they lost this as a team effort. sure no one wanted to see Samsonov ever play again as a Leaf but he played pretty good last night and gave them a shot to win.

some fans need to look at the core because they get paid the big bucks to put the puck in the net and they arent f***ing putting the puck in the net.
1 goal on like 30 Powerplays is BEYOND pathetic and they didnt deserve to win with numbers like that.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don't see what Marner did wrong on the OT goal. He came off the bench and cut down the lane where Pastrnak gets the puck on zone entry. It's not his job to chase Pastrnak all the way down the ice. The only one to blame is Samsonov not going for the puck and Reilly being too high. I also want to throw shade on Nylander who wouldn't have been able to stop the goal, but had his controller completely disconnected

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Did anyone else think that goal was offsides ?
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 3.06.37 PM.png

Just made it over the line. By 20 feet.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think things could get really ugly in Toronto this summer. They can’t afford to waste another year waiting for Marner’s and Tavares’ contracts to run out. So they should be pushing Marner to waive his NMC. They likely lose the trade given that he can dictate where he goes and other GMs will be concerned about his playoff performances, but the cap space and assets they receive will let them start to create a more balanced group. It’s likely a two year project to retool this group anyways. Best to get started this summer. And then make more changes next summer when Tavares is off the books.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see what Marner did wrong on the OT goal. He came off the bench and cut down the lane where Pastrnak gets the puck on zone entry. It's not his job to chase Pastrnak all the way down the ice. The only one to blame is Samsonov not going for the puck and Reilly being too high. I also want to throw shade on Nylander who wouldn't have been able to stop the goal, but had his controller completely disconnected
He didnt cut shit down. He stood there while Pasta gathered steam and blew by him

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think either of the Leaf forwards were to blame. That’s on the D. You can’t let a forward get behind you like that.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

The fact the Leafs haven't played a game in June with their illustrious history is concerning

The Leafs are the least successful original 6 franchise since expansion began. So while i am surprised, it's actually not really surprising since they have not won a single cup since and have had very few deep playoff runs.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I feel for the Leafs at this point. I don't think you can get more cursed than losing G7 in OT. I know it's sort of predestined for them to never really win in the playoffs, but it was one goal away. People will say this core doesn't have "it", but damned if you can't get any closer

Reactions: BB79

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I feel for the Leafs at this point. I don't think you can get more cursed than losing G7 in OT. I know it's sort of predestined for them to never really win in the playoffs, but it was one goal away. People will say this core doesn't have "it", but damned if you can't get any closer
Is it really a curse when both of your D skate that slowly and let a forward get behind them in OT?
That’s a fundamental mistake that most pee wee players don’t make.
I’d have more sympathy if they lost on a bad bounce but that play was inexcusable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad