Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
It's sad because I thought this was a fun series. Also because the leafs depth players generally did pretty well for themselves. As a team they were exclusively let down by their top end talent and big money forwards. Domi and Bertuzzi may be rat type players, but you could really see they wanted to win. Their depth D aswell never looked terrible. I'm sure Jake McCabe was really happy to end up in Toronto last year after losing in Buffalo for so long. It's guys like that I feel bad for when watching these series.

Then you have Tavares, Matthews, Marner. All the talent in the world but absolute chumps when the game is on the line.

I just hope Boston respected them in the handshake line.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Why wasn’t Woll playing in the first place? That hole should never have been that big.

Boston with two great starters split the first set of home series, no reason that the Leafs thought Samsonov was so far and ahead to not do the same.

Unless Woll was injured, then it’s a moot point. If the Leafs won this series, and Woll went hot for the rest of the playoffs, Leafs might’ve galvanized harder than they did after Rielly cheap shorted Greig.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't see what Marner did wrong on the OT goal. He came off the bench and cut down the lane where Pastrnak gets the puck on zone entry. It's not his job to chase Pastrnak all the way down the ice. The only one to blame is Samsonov not going for the puck and Reilly being too high. I also want to throw shade on Nylander who wouldn't have been able to stop the goal, but had his controller completely disconnected

When the Bruins run that play I’ve never seen it actually defended well. It’s just a damn hard pass to make (onside, not icing and bounces off the back wall right) and organically disguise what is coming well.

Reactions: BB79

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Why wasn’t Woll playing in the first place? That hole should never have been that big.

Boston with two great starters split the first set of home series, no reason that the Leafs thought Samsonov was so far and ahead to not do the same.

Unless Woll was injured, then it’s a moot point. If the Leafs won this series, and Woll went hot for the rest of the playoffs, Leafs might’ve galvanized harder than they did after Rielly cheap shorted Greig.
Woll was injured and he didn't dress as the backup

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019

Woll got hurt on the last play of game 6 when Boston made it 2-1 with .1 seconds left in the game.You cant make this shit up.Then its announced Saturday afternoon Samsonov will start.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Playoffs stats.
Matthews 23g/25a +2 in 55 games.
Marner 11g/39a +10 in 57 games.
Tavares 23g/23a -14 in 62 games.
Nylander 20g/23a +1 in 54 games.

The Marner Domi Bertuzzi line was buzzing a lot late in the series.(In The Playoffs)They have to find a way to play tough guys with Matthews,Nylander,and Tavares.Knies was good with Tavares,but they need another sandpaper guy on that line as well(In The Playoffs).Those guys create more room for scorers.Our Reg season lines dont work in the Playoffs because noone cares that much about being a shot blocker in the Reg season,but they do in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Woll got hurt on the last play of game 6 when Boston made it 2-1 with .1 seconds left in the game.You cant make this shit up.Then its announced Saturday afternoon Samsonov will start.
I meant from game 1 and at the latest game 2.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
I meant from game 1 and at the latest game 2.
Woll got hurt during the season,and my guess is Samsonov played enough,and well enough to earn the start in the playoffs,and they didnt wanna subject Woll to the pressure,but now they have to know who is the slightly better goalie.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Rielly and Marner not making themselves available for the media after the game is all-time p***y moves by two of the softest players in the league.
If I was ever good enough to play, and I just lost a game 7, I wouldn't participate in the post game interviews either. Too much emotion.

That's what the few days later end of year interviews are for

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If I was ever good enough to play, and I just lost a game 7, I wouldn't participate in the post game interviews either. Too much emotion.

I think I’d be pretty upset, too.

I never shit on players for being *too* emotional. As a fan, I want the players emotionally invested in the games, and not going through the motions just collecting a paycheck. Naturally, I’m thrilled the Bruins won, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a little sympathy and compassion for the Leafs players.

I’m sure this one hurts a lot.

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Marner was the closest guy to Pasternak ,and let him skate right past him with no stick check or speeding up to match him.He slowed down.
He probably figured nothing would happen but he should have been at least trying to match Pasternaks speed or get a hand on him.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

Part of the job. You wear an A, you gotta show some leadership. Both of them are p***yes

Reactions: stampedingviking

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I just watched a TikTok that had all the angles of the OT goal and holy crap no maple leaf on the ice make an attempt to get the puck., they f***ing stop skating. From watching live I thought Nylander was the only one with a controller disconnected moment, but all 5 of them weren't connected.

Reactions: LeafAttack

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Part of the job. You wear an A, you gotta show some leadership. Both of them are p***yes
I so look forward to hearing players after they lose game 7 say the same thing over and over as everyone else.

1) we didn't finish our chances
2) we should have won the game
3) we will learn from this for next year

And repeat. That's what you want him to come out and say a few mins after losing?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I so look forward to hearing players after they lose game 7 say the same thing over and over as everyone else.

1) we didn't finish our chances
2) we should have won the game
3) we will learn from this for next year

And repeat. That's what you want him to come out and say a few mins after losing?
Don’t care. There’s parts of my job I don’t like doing, but I do it anyways. Just get out there and say whatever you want, cause if not, you look like a bitch

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Is it really a curse when both of your D skate that slowly and let a forward get behind them in OT?
That’s a fundamental mistake that most pee wee players don’t make.
I’d have more sympathy if they lost on a bad bounce but that play was inexcusable.
I’m not sure the Leafs just gave up or didn’t play hard on that last play. Again, it’s been the prevailing commentary on here the entire series that the Leafs f***ed up as opposed to Boston played better.

That was an obvious set play that Pasta has worked on with some defensemen in practice. It was the perfect opportunity to run it, Pasta dropped the pass back seeing he had an direct line to that side of rink and sprinted right to the spot he thought the puck would bounce catching the Leafs flatfooted while Lindholm perfectly timed a hard shot into the corner for a fortunate bounce. It was a great play executed at exactly at the right time. It had nothing to do with Marner, Reilly, Samsonov or Willie (or whomever) being lazy. It was great play by Pasta and Lindholm. Blaming Leaf players for that goal reads to me like another excuse by Leaf fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad