Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
2 more years and after that the Leafs could use the money for Tavares' and Marner's contracts in a more efficient way.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Super Duper

Oct 2, 2014
Toronto
Pretty wild how leaf fans are throwing most of the blame for this series on pretty much 3 people - Keefe, Marner, and/or Samsonov.

I guess it's easy to ignore the fact that your 5 highest paid players combines for a total of 8 points (4g/4a)in 7 games.

No matter what kind of regular season success you might have as a team, you're not going anywhere when your star players refuse to show up in the playoffs every year.

Bowman couldn't coach this team to a finals appearance, despite the immense fire power and skill they have.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Am i the only one who thought Pastrnak looked offside on that OT goal?

They never even showed a proper replay of it where you can tell for sure.

Im not saying he definitely was or trying to use an excuse, but he came in so fast, watching it live I definitely got the impression he might have been offside. Im surprised there was no proper replay shown

I watched the replay enough times to confirm it was timed perfectly. He was essentially crossing the blue line as the puck did.

Keefe went to the tablets immediately so Leafs may have had the same thought.

Reactions: Summer Rose

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Far be it a Canuck fan commenting on a team that has made the playoffs 8 years in a row but TO has made the playoffs 8 years in a row.

No real draft picks left and the prospect pool a little thin the next step is trades and FA's

As they are now they will have 18+ mil in cap space and if they traded or bought out Tavares or retained 50% or conjured up a three way trade to reduce his cap hit they could add 5+ mil more to the war chest.

Or the boat load of assets they might get in a return for one of the core 4 the team will be different and quite possibly a lot better next year.

Now they get to start on the retooling. Shanahan will have a plan and I think that is why the suggestions in the media have been all about breaking up the core 4 for over half the season. It's been out there and chatted about or not denied by team officials, sort of like "we'll see".

I wonder how the TO media machine will present the Canucks, just lucky to get there, a whipping boy for Edmonton, practice for Edmonton's next round or as a clone of the old NJD boring low event hockey?

I have no doubt Edmonton will the main story right behind Florida. Mostly because those eastern media guys don't like sitting up until past midnight if there is OT. They just watch the highlights and maybe get some info from the western media.

That and the delight to ride every Boston mistake into a comparison of a TO failure to capitalize.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Where are all the Toronto media and fans with the 'Matthews is not going to take this anymore' or 'Leafs are wasting Matthews best years?' ?

This is karma for all those posts that Leafs media and fans in the past that tries to say shit about the Oilers, and hoping for McDavid to leave Edm to sign with Toronto.
Focus on your own team first.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He indicated with his stick to Lindholm to execute. It was a planned play.
I posted this play for the Canucks/Preds game 5 days ago. Players get mesmerized by the puck and miss out on something as subtle as a possible icing play. IMO the TO player might have been able to hook him for a penalty, maybe.
In Vancouver we have seen this type of play 5 or 6 times over the last decade, the Sedins used it a few times and the last couple of years it has happened. Teams that are too structured will be susceptible to this kind of play but in this case it was just a surprise for TO.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Leafs come back just to lose in 7.

tenor.gif

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't even really see what "panic moves" the Leafs will even have available to them tbh.

What are you gonna do, trade Marner? Like...who is going to pay full value for the guy at this point? Nobody with serious playoff aspirations. Maybe Dubas would trade a bunch to get him to Pittsburgh...but then...the Penguins don't have anything even in the ballpark to trade for him. So...who out there would step up to make that deal?

Matthews really just isn't going anywhere.

Nylander is the only one who really showed up, so it'd be asinine to trade him.

Rielly is still the Leafs only good defenceman.

Tavares is old and expensive and not going anywhere unless he wants to.

So what type of big "panic moves" are even viable? They're basically locked into just, more tinkering. They were "right there" as they say. In reference to making it out of the first round of the playoffs.

I wouldn't go that far, Rielly has offensive ability, but otherwise, a black hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad