Proposal: Bos - Van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
In this case, they do. Marchand is the more skilled and better player.

Offensively sure he has out produced Burrows, though from a two way standpoint, the gap is much closer. Even from an offensive standpoint it's not that different, Burrows career high is 35 goals, Marchand is 37.
Burrows has spent much of his time in a bottom six role, where as Marchand has firmly been on the 2nd line for a number of years no?

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Burrows has spent much of his time in a bottom six role, where as Marchand has firmly been on the 2nd line for a number of years no?

And do you know why that is?

BECAUSE MARCHAND IS THE BETTER PLAYER.

The two have similar styles ( two way, agitating forwards ) but Marchand produces at a much better pace and at a younger age. He's a tier above Burrows and the numbers support that.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
And do you know why that is?

BECAUSE MARCHAND IS THE BETTER PLAYER.

The two have similar styles ( two way, agitating forwards ) but Marchand produces at a much better pace and at a younger age. He's a tier above Burrows and the numbers support that.

Different career paths too, I agree he is a better player, without a doubt he is from an offensive standpoint. They are still similar players though that was my original point.

Burrows at 28 was producing at the same level Marchand is at 28 no?

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pretty even trade value wise

Same age range

But Vancouver doesn't do it do because of Marchand's contract.
Tanev is signed to a good deal, and I wouldn't want the salary cap hit that comes along with marchand in a year.

Vancouver loses this trade.

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Don't forget the fawning over yappy Lappy putting his fingers in Bergy's face. They all loved that, and they'd love Marchand too. Anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

Yeah, we don't mind our pests. But we prefer not to cheer for cheapshot artists the likes of Brad Marchand. Trust me when I say that if we were to trade for Marchand I would suspend my fandom until the day he leaves.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Cool, we don't want to trade Tanev either, and soft really, when a player can control the puck the way he does, you can't really call him soft, nice cheap shot though....
Very rarely do we see a player make the NHL that is absolutely terrified to initiate physical contact. His puck handling skills seem to disappear when he hits the oppositions zone
Nice edit though

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Different career paths too, I agree he is a better player, without a doubt he is from an offensive standpoint. They are still similar players though that was my original point.

Borrows produced similar to Marchand at 28 playing with two 100 point players.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

So you're equating having similar styles to having similar values then, which is what your original post in question is about? That's terrible logic.

Marchand was putting up 20 goals and flirting with 30 goals/60 points at ages 22/23. Last season, Marchand was 27 ( didn't turn 28 until the season was over ) and put up 37, which is the age Burrows was when he finally put up his first 50 point season.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
So you're equating having similar styles to having similar values then, which is what your original post in question is about? That's terrible logic.

Marchand was putting up 20 goals and flirting with 30 goals/60 points at ages 22/23. Last season, Marchand was 27 ( didn't turn 28 until the season was over ) and put up 37, which is the age Burrows was when he finally put up his first 50 point season.

If that's what I said I was wrong, all I was saying is that they play a similar game and are similar players, Burrows never has and never will have the value of Marchand.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Very rarely do we see a player make the NHL that is absolutely terrified to initiate physical contact. His puck handling skills seem to disappear when he hits the oppositions zone
Nice edit though

He's our best Dman one of the best defensive Dmen in the league, never gets rattled. He plays on a team that is a black hole of offense. He doesn't hit sure, he doesn't have to.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, we don't mind our pests. But we prefer not to cheer for cheapshot artists the likes of Brad Marchand. Trust me when I say that if we were to trade for Marchand I would suspend my fandom until the day he leaves.

You really need to get over 2011, if we got Marchand we would instantly be a better team. If us becoming better makes you suspend your fandom then good riddance. I would rather cheer for a team that does everything to win, not one that holds silly childish grudges.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
And? Larsson hasn't really lived up to the potential thus far. Tanev's advanced stats put him in leagues with Keith, Doughty and other top tier players. He just lacks their offensive output. Age doesn't quite hold the same value when both players are still fairly young. At 26, Tanev still has close to a decade of high quality play and may even become better given how defensemen typically develop late.

So yes, right now Tanev and Larrson are easily comparable in terms of value.

so what are these advanced stats and were are people getting them? (Puckalytics came up on a quick search?) and which 'advanced' stats are the measuring stick?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I understand that but Bergeron isn't elite offensively and there is a gigantic difference between playing with Bergeron and Connolly and playing with the prime Sedins. Remember Anson Carter?

Yah I guess that's true, he's always been pretty damn good offensively no? He is a career .753 in terms of points, that's pretty damn close to elite.

Yah I also remember Trent Klatt, Taylor Pyatt, Steve Bernier none of which could really sustain anything, they played with Markus Naslund and even he couldn't really develop anything with them. Burrows is not elite, but he has a really high hockey IQ, sure the Sedin's played a huge role in his success but they constantly talked about how in many cases Burrows drove the play just as much as they did.

Even when they changed it up and Burrows was put on the 2nd line he was still a 50 point player. Is he in the same class as Marchand? No, but in his prime he was not that far off.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca

Torres? Cooke? Did you suspend your fandom for those cats as well? Nah, of course not, because that would be stupid, and Marchy is way more entertaining than those guys. I'd give you a month before your self-imposed suspension was lifted. :naughty:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Torres? Cooke? Did you suspend your fandom for those cats as well? Nah, of course not, because that would be stupid, and Marchy is way more entertaining than those guys. I'd give you a month before your self-imposed suspension was lifted. :naughty:

I agree with the second part of your post, but in terms of Torres and especially Cooke they really didn't have that reputation when they played for the Canucks, that came after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad